Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2020 (All up)

goldfishwars

Going to be real interested to follow Dallas' draft here 3-4 years down the road. Literally felt like Jerry Jones was using the Mel Kiper's top 10 available as his big board from his yacht. I personally felt like they got value with every pick before rd 7, but why did the rest of the NFL teams let those guys fall to those slots? 

• Like 2

Broncos at 1?  Weird flex but OK.

Like, I've been expecting them pretty much every spot since like 7, but different strokes for different folks.

Cowboys the for real number 1.  Lamb, Diggs, Robinson, Gallimore, and Biadasz are all future starters IMO.  Bonus for getting Anae at an actual good value, double bonus for every other pick being a great value, and triple bonus for sticking it to a division rival by stealing Lamb.

I really dont think the Denver pick of Hamler was a luxury. We had one rotation worthy WR on the team heading into the draft, Sutton. DaeSeaon Hamilton is JAG, the type of middling slot receiver that you can find off the street. Tim Patrick is a WR5, and a decent one at that w/ his ST acumen, but you don't want him on the field at WR as more than injury replacement. After him there are PS level talents here and there. The Broncos needed a WR2 and WR3, and in the Shurmur offense we are going 3WR rather than FB or 2TE. That WR3 is nearly a starter, and we got a dynamic one to fill the role. Taking a developmental OT or something over a guy that gives Denver more explosive athleticism than we have had since the early days of Deymarius Thomas would have been stale and foolish in a division where you need to outscore, or at least try to keep up, with KC. Your not going to stop that monster, but you can try to keep up and you need chunk plays to keep up. Hamler helps with that.

The Broncos are doing everything they can to improve Lock's chances of success. People talk constantly about how early development separates many QB's from reaching their potential, right now Denver is taking the perfect approach to maximize the chances of Lock maxing out his abundance of potential.

Also, Agim would have been much more of a hyped prospect if he chose a different school. He was tremendous despite horrible surrounding talent at Arkansas.

• Like 2

Taking a second WR is not a luxury, but taking him the second rounds is.

If you think Hamler can contribute immediately, sure. If you think he's rotation ready, not so much. Maybe by the end of the season he'll be up to speed. The real impact of this draft will be in 2021 and 2022.

Taking a second WR is not a luxury, but taking him the second rounds is.

This just isnt true. Any OT taken would not see the field in 2020 outside of injury. Any CB taken would be CB3, much like Hamler is WR3. There wasnt a 34DL on the board that will see a higher snap % than Hamler will as WR3, nor an ILB even worthy of the selection at 46. That about covers the positional alternatives. I liked some of the safety talent, but it looks like Vic is moving back to a CB heavy scheme rather than running w/ a 3rd safety on 50-60% of snaps. 

It was a historic WR draft and we leaned in on the talent. We have not had a player that can create yards after the catch on short throws or LOS throws since early DT. It was a smart move. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Going to be real interested to follow Dallas' draft here 3-4 years down the road. Literally felt like Jerry Jones was using the Mel Kiper's top 10 available as his big board from his yacht. I personally felt like they got value with every pick before rd 7, but why did the rest of the NFL teams let those guys fall to those slots? 

In Lamb's case, a few teams leading up to it were caught drafting for need. 

17 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

The Saints lol

Ah okay. Well it's not that I don't like what the Saints did in the draft. It's just such a tiny class and this exercise for me is about ranking those in a way which is hard for them to fare well with that approach. 

Kudos again @goldfishwars. I look forward to it every year... unless the Redskins draft sucked.

Mostly I think your rankings are fair and close to what I would have had. Broncos would have been Top 10, but that's about it. Vikings were Top 3 for me. You're lower on the Rams than I was. 

• Like 1