Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2020 (All up)

goldfishwars

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Ah okay. Well it's not that I don't like what the Saints did in the draft. It's just such a tiny class and this exercise for me is about ranking those in a way which is hard for them to fare well with that approach. 

And that's fair, I was just wondering when you last had the Saints highly ranked

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

This just isnt true. Any OT taken would not see the field in 2020 outside of injury. Any CB taken would be CB3, much like Hamler is WR3. There wasnt a 34DL on the board that will see a higher snap % than Hamler will as WR3, nor an ILB even worthy of the selection at 46. That about covers the positional alternatives. I liked some of the safety talent, but it looks like Vic is moving back to a CB heavy scheme rather than running w/ a 3rd safety on 50-60% of snaps. 

It was a historic WR draft and we leaned in on the talent. We have not had a player that can create yards after the catch on short throws or LOS throws since early DT. It was a smart move. 

If you are set on taking a WR, I can see taking Hamler over the alternatives, but only if you are targeting WR. You cannot make the case it was a BPA pick. Jaylon Johnson and Trevon Diggs were both available and both rated slightly above Hamler. The very next pick, Marlon Davidson would do well in a 3-4 line and also higher rated.

J

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Perhaps, but not with the Raiders. Baltimore may make a case, or the other (only) bay team.

J

Did I mention the Raiders? Dallas is not going to suddenly become the #2 offense in the NFL because of Lamb IMO. More power to you for your radical opinion but I don't see it at all.

If you are set on taking a WR, I can see taking Hamler over the alternatives, but only if you are targeting WR. You cannot make the case it was a BPA pick. Jaylon Johnson and Trevon Diggs were both available and both rated slightly above Hamler. The very next pick, Marlon Davidson would do well in a 3-4 line and also higher rated.

There is absolutely argument that Hamler was BPA over Jaylon, Diggs and Marlon. Its a speed league now and Hamler compares well to Hollywood Brown, John Brown and DaeSean Jackson. He is only 20 and managed a career 17 YPC playing decent to good competition. The drops are an issue, but if he didn't have that issue he wouldn't be available at 46. I do worry about his ability to track balls down the field. If he doesn't improve that he becomes a bubble screen, manufactured YAC guy and those just don't translate as well as people think. Tavon coming to mind, albeit Hamler is a much better natural receiver than him. (Tavon was a 11.9 YPC career guy at WV, he never really was the down field buster that the other guys, including Hamler, were in college. Tavon is also a fumble machine given his volume. This is now a Tavon sucks thread). 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 2

As much criticism as Elway deserved for his post-SB win-now mentality delaying a much needed rebuild, really bad decisions at QB, and a terrible run of drafts from 2013-2017, he deserves praise for what he’s done in the draft since.

His 2017 draft was such a disaster, they really had to change everything about their approach. The 2017 class had some awful character guys who the veterans just hated, and it caused a lot of locker room problems. Since then, they’ve targeted skilled football players (not just raw athletes) with high character, leadership traits and enough athletic upside. And he’s gotten better at finding that balance every year since. 

On paper, this is Elway’s best draft. 2018 was a big step in the right direction but the Day 3 group was full of low ceiling limited athletes who were certainly roster-able but were never likely to become steals. Now they understand you need to take shots on high ceiling guys on Day 3 and if they come up snake eyes, oh well, but the potential for stardom greatly outweighs the probability of failure. 

And I love the vision. Just load the offense up with dynamic athletes which we haven’t had in forever, and let Fangio target the guys he thinks can really fit his scheme. Ojemudia was 100% a Fangio scheme fit who they were going to value higher than other teams. Supposedly they liked him more than any of the other Day 2 corners because of how well he fit the defense. There are things you can nitpick like not getting the developmental OT and some minor value quibbles, but everything they did makes sense and it feels good to feel good about drafts again. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Did I mention the Raiders? Dallas is not going to suddenly become the #2 offense in the NFL because of Lamb IMO. More power to you for your radical opinion but I don't see it at all.

For Baltimore, there is a case, though I would like a longer track record. They led the league with Dallas #2 and KC dealt with injuries to finish third. Going into the season, the Chiefs are #1 and the Cowboys, Ravens and Saints can fight it out for #2. 

19 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

There is absolutely argument that Hamler was BPA over Jaylon, Diggs and Marlon. Its a speed league now and Hamler compares well to Hollywood Brown, John Brown and DaeSean Jackson. He is only 20 and managed a career 17 YPC playing decent to good competition. The drops are an issue, but if he didn't have that issue he wouldn't be available at 46. I do worry about his ability to track balls down the field. If he doesn't improve that he becomes a bubble screen, manufactured YAC guy and those just don't translate as well as people think. Tavon coming to mind, albeit Hamler is a much better natural receiver than him. (Tavon was a 11.9 YPC career guy at WV, he never really was the down field buster that the other guys, including Hamler, were in college. Tavon is also a fumble machine given his volume. This is now a Tavon sucks thread). 

Two words--Ted Ginn.

That said, I would have smaller qualms if they had not already invested their top pick in the same position. 

J

On 5/1/2020 at 3:29 PM, goldfishwars said:

Most Questionable Pick
Cesar Ruiz – Definitely not a bad selection, but perhaps unexpected given that the Saints have a decent interior offensive line and last year’s center selection played very well as a rookie. Ruiz has some versatility to play guard and some very intriguing traits, so this might tell us something about they feel about Andrus Peat or Larry Warford moving forward. I think might have been tempted to get Brees a receiver in this spot. 

Ah....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Two words--Ted Ginn.

That said, I would have smaller qualms if they had not already invested their top pick in the same position. 

J

You do know the Chiefs are in there division and they need to keep pace? Normal circumstances I'd agree with you but Patrick Mahomes is special . Denver needs to build a comparable offense which they're doing.

I've been a Bronco fan 26 years and never saw this much talent on offense. And Hamler is a game wrecker Viv Fangio was banging the table for that pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

This seems a little rich, don't ya think? 

Is this serious? Sutton probowl wr, Fant one of the best up and coming move tight ends in the game sub 4.5 Albert O also sub 4.5

Jeudy one of the best route runners coming out in recent memory high upside. Hamler blazing fast Tyreek Hill type speed gonna be a good slot.

Gordon and Lindsay in the backfield.

If you believe in Drew Lock and potential this has all the makings to be an offense up there with the Chiefs 

I understand the Chiefs are proven that's the big difference.

30 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You do know the Chiefs are in there division and they need to keep pace? Normal circumstances I'd agree with you but Patrick Mahomes is special . Denver needs to build a comparable offense which they're doing. I've been a Bronco fan 26 years and never saw this much talent on offense. And Hamler is a game wrecker Viv Fangio was banging the table for that pick.

The 1998 team with Elway, Sharpe, Davis and the OL built around Nalen and Schlereth has to at least compare. That's only 22 years ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The 1998 team with Elway, Sharpe, Davis and the OL built around Nalen and Schlereth has to at least compare. That's only 22 years ago.

From an athletic perspective, this is probably the most talented I’ve seen. 1998 and 2013 offenses were just efficient machines and full of really skilled guys.