Bears not picking up fifth-year option on QB Mitch Trubisky

RaidersAreOne

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Watson is lying one way or another based on what he said to Rich Eisen back in 2017.

He's just trying to make a point.

Yeah this is as revisionist history as possible, I beat the drum as loudly as anybody for Watson in 2017.  Trubisky was A LOT of evaluators top QB that year.  Watson had questions about arm strength and decision making.  Mahomes was widely thought to be a guy who freelanced his way in a very QB friendly system.  Even knowing you go back and watch the NC film for Trubisky you can see why he was considered the top QB prospect.  He was pinpoint accurate, had great pocket presence and awareness, above average arm talent.  He made the adjustments at the line.  He checked all the boxes.  For me with Watson it was about that he did what he did on the biggest stages and you knew the NFL was not going to be too big for him.  

• Like 3

On 5/9/2020 at 2:24 AM, goldfishwars said:

How does Pace still have a job?

I mean, your question is fair. I'm not sure he would still have a job anywhere else but Chicago after missing that badly on a trade up to #2. There may be some smoke to this rumor, but this isn't quite the smoking gun that proves it.

Gottlieb is saying the bears 'evaluated' all 3, which is true. They only 'spoke' to Trubisky and Mahomes, who they had as their #1 and #2. They were also trying to somewhat hide their interest in drafting a QB, so that may be why they left Watson out of the in person meetings.

It's possible Watson just skimmed the tweet and considered 'evaluated' equivalent to 'interviewed'.

Either way, I don't really care what reason the Bears end up using to move on from Pace. The behind-the-scenes clip of him going through all of the people involved in the Bears' evaluation process of Trubisky, who agreed with Pace that Trubs was the #1 QB, patting themselves on their own backs about their 'consensus on a QB' looks unforgivably bad now, and makes me wonder whether or not Pace has surrounded himself with yes men, or people who at the very least don't challenge his own opinion/ideas with their own.

Bottom line is if you can't pick a QB, you can't play GM in the NFL. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:21 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

Yeah this is as revisionist history as possible, I beat the drum as loudly as anybody for Watson in 2017.  Trubisky was A LOT of evaluators top QB that year.  Watson had questions about arm strength and decision making.  Mahomes was widely thought to be a guy who freelanced his way in a very QB friendly system.  Even knowing you go back and watch the NC film for Trubisky you can see why he was considered the top QB prospect.  He was pinpoint accurate, had great pocket presence and awareness, above average arm talent.  He made the adjustments at the line.  He checked all the boxes.  For me with Watson it was about that he did what he did on the biggest stages and you knew the NFL was not going to be too big for him.  

He didn't check all the boxes as he had less experience than both Mahomes and Watson.  He was thought to have the biggest upside, but he was also a significant risk due to his lack of experience, which was common knowledge even at the time.

Either way, Pace shouldn't be fired for Trubisky, but he should be fired for his piss-poor drafting and poor roster management overall.  But, he won't because he just won Executive of the Year 2 years ago, so when Nagy ultimately fails (which he will), they'll both get fired.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

the point stands, but the bears did talk to Watson per PFT

"Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson raised plenty of eyebrows on Friday when he tweeted, “The Bears NEVER ONCE talked to me” before the 2017 NFL draft. But that’s not what Watson said at the time. Prior to the 2017 draft, Watson said in an interview with Rich Eisen that the Bears had talked to him.

“I’ve talked to some teams on the phone, Chicago, Baltimore and a whole bunch of different teams have checked in on me,” Watson said in that pre-draft interview. The Chicago Tribune also reported that the Bears talked to Watson both at the Scouting Combine and at his pro day. ESPN reported in 2017 that the Bears sent a large contingent that included General Manager Ryan Pace and then-coach John Fox to Clemson’s pro day to watch Watson.
The Bears were one of only four teams to send both their head coach and GM to Clemson’s pro day.

Perhaps Watson has just forgotten it three years later, but the historical record indicates that the Bears did, in fact, talk to Watson before the 2017 NFL draft.

But while the Bears came up with the wrong answer, they did their homework."

• Like 5

Quite interesting looking at mock drafts from 2017 now. 

In Daniel Jeremiah's final version, he doesn't even have the Bears taking a QB at 3  - but Trubisky is the first thrower off the board at 12, Mahomes then at 13 and Watson goes at 27. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802161/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-50-trubisky-mahomes-go-backtoback

Lance Zierlein similarly doesn't have the Bears taking a QB at 3 - Trubisky is again matched the Browns at 12, Mahomes is at 25 and Watson at 32

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802628/article/zierlein-mock-draft-50-mahomes-taken-ahead-of-watson

Bucky Brooks doesn't have the Bears taking a QB either and is the only person who has Watson coming off the board first to the Jets at 6, Mahomes at 13 and Trubisky at 17. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799204/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-40-four-qbs-joe-mixon-in-round-1

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

In Daniel Jeremiah's final version, he doesn't even have the Bears taking a QB at 3  - but Trubisky is the first thrower off the board at 12, Mahomes then at 13 and Watson goes at 27. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802161/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-50-trubisky-mahomes-go-backtoback

Lance Zierlein similarly doesn't have the Bears taking a QB at 3 - Trubisky is again matched the Browns at 12, Mahomes is at 25 and Watson at 32

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802628/article/zierlein-mock-draft-50-mahomes-taken-ahead-of-watson

Bucky Brooks doesn't have the Bears taking a QB either and is the only person who has Watson coming off the board first to the Jets at 6, Mahomes at 13 and Trubisky at 17. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799204/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-40-four-qbs-joe-mixon-in-round-1

But EVERYONE KNEW that Trubisky shouldn't have been the top QB! /s

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

In all honesty I dont think the problem is the rating of each QB but I thought it was a bad QB class all around. 

Trubisky was raw and I remember him having poor pocket awareness in a college friendly offense. 

Watsons decion making and accuracy came into question. 

Mahomes troubles in college are well documented.. 

Goes to show what kind of evaluator I am.  

On 5/6/2020 at 10:45 PM, topwop1 said:

Again... with just semi competent QB and TE play they could have easily been a playoff team last year. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Nobody thought Pace was going to draft a QB in the first. Everyone thought he was going to give Glennon a legit shot.

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

That simply isn't true. 

• Like 1