2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

Rumored to be a draft riser and an name to watch for an interior defensive player for us. 

Nixon is good but would be a massive reach in the 1st round.  Will see what he does at the combine I guess, but give me Twyman over him, same with Barmore or Tufele for that matter.  Those three I would not mind in the 1st round, Nixon was good this year but not sure he is that high level of a player.  Golston and VanValkenburg kept a lot of pressure off him since they were so effective on the edge, I was more impressed with Golston this year than Nixon.

Those athletic DTs are hard to read, everyone wants one but sometimes their production is not that consistent.  Mustafa Johnson on Colorado looked like a potential 1st round pick, still has a ton of ability but his sacks went way down the last two years compared to having 7.5 three years ago.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RpMc said:

Rumored to be a draft riser and an name to watch for an interior defensive player for us. 

Also, on the ESPN ticker, saw Mel Kiper has Nixon rated as a top 10 player overall, not sure if I saw that wrong or it is a typo or what.  Surprised to hear that but who knows, teams do really want that Aaron Donald type.  Mind you Donald had 170 tackles, 63 TFLs, 27.5 sacks, 9 PD and 6 FF in three seasons not including his FR year.  

Nixon had 74 tackles, 19 TFLs, 8.5 sacks,  1 PD and 1 FF in two seasons at Iowa.

Flashed for sure this year but who says Twyman and Tufele would not have flashed just the same if they actually played this year.  Still good to have another option potentially at DT.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RpMc said:

I would love to get this fellow Hawkeye on the team, but not in the 1st round. At least right now. If we had a 2nd round pick, I'd be all about it with that pick.

Edited by AP_allday2869

1 minute ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I would love to get this fellow Hawkeye on the team, but not in the 1st round. At least right now. If we had a 2nd round pick, I'd be all about it with that pick.

From early talk, he could work himself up into the first round through the workout process.

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Also, on the ESPN ticker, saw Mel Kiper has Nixon rated as a top 10 player overall, not sure if I saw that wrong or it is a typo or what.  Surprised to hear that but who knows, teams do really want that Aaron Donald type.  Mind you Donald had 170 tackles, 63 TFLs, 27.5 sacks, 9 PD and 6 FF in three seasons not including his FR year.  

Nixon had 74 tackles, 19 TFLs, 8.5 sacks,  1 PD and 1 FF in two seasons at Iowa.

Flashed for sure this year but who says Twyman and Tufele would not have flashed just the same if they actually played this year.  Still good to have another option potentially at DT.  

Nope, he does have him #10. I will say that this caused me to go look at his rankings, and there are definitely some interesting takes I hadn't seen elsewhere. Mac Jones at 15 overall. Jaelen Phillips higher than Rousseau. Zach Wilson only at 14 with Paye at 25. Pretty fascinating. Spencer Brown not in the top 10 of tackles (I get that there are some problems there, but I'd almost put him on the top 10 of tackles in pure shutdown upside alone). Josh Myers as the #7 center. 

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There is a great video embedded in this article showing how technically sound and smart Nixon is. I would be on board. 

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2020/12/31/22207566/iowa-hawkeye-football-daviyon-nixon-named-consensus-all-american-declares-for-nfl-draft

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nope, he does have him #10. I will say that this caused me to go look at his rankings, and there are definitely some interesting takes I hadn't seen elsewhere. Mac Jones at 15 overall. Jaelen Phillips higher than Rousseau. Zach Wilson only at 14 with Paye at 25. Pretty fascinating. Spencer Brown not in the top 10 of tackles (I get that there are some problems there, but I'd almost put him on the top 10 of tackles in pure shutdown upside alone). Josh Myers as the #7 center. 

Check again. I've read 3 articles stating that he's Kiper's #1 DT on the board and sitting at #10 overall.  Per bleecherreport etc: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2922926-mel-kiper-2021-nfl-draft-big-board-trevor-lawrence-penei-sewell-lead-rankings

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2020/12/31/22207566/iowa-hawkeye-football-daviyon-nixon-named-consensus-all-american-declares-for-nfl-draft

https://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/30625916/iowa-hawkeyes-defensive-tackle-daviyon-nixon-enter-2021-nfl-draft

Edited by babababa

6 hours ago, Forge said:

So Nixon a top 10 pick, that would be a surprise but again I feel that is because some other top DTs did not play.  But if Nixon gets that much hype Darius Stills should as well, showed up well against a hard offense to play against in Army.  He is an athletic penetrating DT that is all the rage but yeah if Twyman played this year he would be flashed just as much as those two did, same with Tufele.  Phillips over Rousseau would be a surprise but fact is the kid did not play and has a thin lower body.  Phillips played great, has a wide frame and big hands, and played recently, I still think Rousseau upside wise will be better in the right situation, possibly a 3/4 OLB even but if he shows that athletic ability in workouts he will be fine.

Mac Jones I could see going that high, especially if he plays well over the next one or two games for sure.  Josh Myers I like at center, sure at times he got beat in pass pro but he can play and is a hell of a run blocker, could maybe be a great guard as well if center does not work out and be great there.   Wilson that low would be a surprise but they could be not updated rankings, a lot will be telling how Fields looks tomorrow.  Kwity I like but his lack of sack production is a concern I feel, I would probably take Patrick Jones over him.  

Overall though good to have some guys standout at DT in a pretty suspect class overall.  Nixon was great in a few games and stands out athletically but again if he gets that hype for being a penetrating athletic DT so should Stills.  

• Like 1

Watching ND vs Bama . . . Aaron Banks, the LG for ND is moving everything near him.   Pressure on Ian Book is non-exstant up the middle.    When, the run for a first down, its typically following Banks . . . Definitely someone to keep an eye on.    Now, is he a Jr or a Sr?    Websites vary on that.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Day 2 I think. I feel like he likely caps as an Andy dalton type. He could be a serviceable starter for a number of years

If I knew a guys cap was Andy Dalton, I wouldn't give up a second round pick for him. I would have to think there was a possibility that he could be better than Andy Dalton. If not, I would just sign an Andy Dalton, without using a draft pick. Saves the pick and also don't have to hope the guy develops to his full cap.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

If I knew a guys cap was Andy Dalton, I wouldn't give up a second round pick for him. I would have to think there was a possibility that he could be better than Andy Dalton. If not, I would just sign an Andy Dalton, without using a draft pick. Saves the pick and also don't have to hope the guy develops to his full cap.

Guys like that are harder to find then you think, that's why they are considered QB purgatory. And those guys are still valuable if they are playing that level while on a rookie deal because you can surround them with talent. The problem becomes when you end up paying those guys 28-35 million dollars to be meh because you can't find a better solution. 

• Like 1