2021 Draft Talk

swede700

11 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

They were terrible before this week.  This was worse.  

Adding Pierce, Hunter, and Barr will make a difference. Without a draft. 

Probably what p$sses me of the most, is we had Yannick Ngakoue after giving up a 2nd round pick and now have just a 3rd round pick.

He should of gotten a new deal from us. Would of gave us 2 studs for the next 3 plus years at DE and we could of built around them.

Instead, we have a 3rd round pick. Just totally screwed this team up. Joke.

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

Adding Pierce, Hunter, and Barr will make a difference. Without a draft. 

Probably what p$sses me of the most, is we had Yannick Ngakoue after giving up a 2nd round pick and now have just a 3rd round pick.

He should of gotten a new deal from us. Would of gave us 2 studs for the next 3 plus years at DE and we could of built around them.

Instead, we have a 3rd round pick. Just totally screwed this team up. Joke.

I don’t think Pierce or Barr will make much of a difference at all.

We need to get rid of Pierce, Barr, Rudolph and Bailey.

They’re way overpriced.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

They’re way overpriced.

I am going to guess you didn't watch the game yesterday. Anyone within a couple standard deviations below average or better would make a difference for the defensive line or the group of LBers that was out there yesterday. Some of those guys shouldn't be in the league at all and within a year or two they will not be in the league.

Pierce and Barr are both significantly better than the dreck that was out there yesterday. Aiming for the lowest dollars spent against the cap may be a worthwhile goal for some teams, but I am interested in the Vikings having players that improve their team. Pierce and Barr will improve the team. There is no reason to look at cutting them unless the team finds replacements that can play better than them. Right now, the team doesn't have that luxury.

16 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'd draft defense.  With every pick.  Wow.

Look who was starting at linebacker, is there any real mystery why they got ran over yesterday?  Yes no Hunter, Pierce, Kendricks or Barr matters in their run defense.  Outside of Pierce those guys are all arguably some of the best players at their position in the NFL.  Yeah that matters in how a team looks if they are not out there.  Does DT have to be address and probably DE as well, sure but value wise it does not make sense because the potential OL their are better players than the potential DTs that could be there.  

Danielle Hunter
Michael Pierce
Anthony Barr
Eric Kendricks
Mike Hughes
Jalyn Holmes
Armon Watts
Ben Gedeon
Cameron Smith
Kris Boyd
Holton Hill

That’s half of this team’s starters on defense, and half of the depth/rotational players they would have used to replace the injured starters.

If you don’t think having any of those players over what was put on the field against New Orleans makes a difference, then there’s not much else that can be said. 

The Vikings defense needs to infuse so new talent and youth, no doubt. But if you add those players listed above, this defense, and this team look a lot better. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am going to guess you didn't watch the game yesterday. Anyone within a couple standard deviations below average or better would make a difference for the defensive line or the group of LBers that was out there yesterday. Some of those guys shouldn't be in the league at all and within a year or two they will not be in the league.

Pierce and Barr are both significantly better than the dreck that was out there yesterday. Aiming for the lowest dollars spent against the cap may be a worthwhile goal for some teams, but I am interested in the Vikings having players that improve their team. Pierce and Barr will improve the team. There is no reason to look at cutting them unless the team finds replacements that can play better than them. Right now, the team doesn't have that luxury.

I don’t think the value is there with those players.

They’re not going to put the Vikings over the hump.

Rebuild mode.

31 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Danielle Hunter
Michael Pierce
Anthony Barr
Eric Kendricks
Mike Hughes
Jalyn Holmes
Armon Watts
Ben Gedeon
Cameron Smith
Kris Boyd
Holton Hill

That’s half of this team’s starters on defense, and half of the depth/rotational players they would have used to replace the injured starters.

If you don’t think having any of those players over what was put on the field against New Orleans makes a difference, then there’s not much else that can be said. 

The Vikings defense needs to infuse so new talent and youth, no doubt. But if you add those players listed above, this defense, and this team look a lot better. 

100% agreed.

Im saying I don’t think the impact from Pierce and Barr will be that great. Those resources could be better spent elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s not 100% agreeing.

Pierce and Barr completely transform the run defense. If you don’t think that their presence would have a significant impact, again, there’s nothing to be said. 

You’re making a lot of speculations.

Pierce hasn’t played football in a year and struggles with weight issues. He’s reported to camp in the past at 390lbs and they didn’t let him practice.

Barr is coming off an injury.

Are Barr and Pierce better than the guys who played yesterday? Of course. That’s me agreeing 100%.

Can we do without them and apply those resources to other areas and get more bang for our buck? I think so. 

Edited by KeithVikings28
  • Like 1

My takes on the Vikings draft:

Going QB isn’t going to happen if Rick is GM. This was always going to be a rebuilding .500 level year with the turnover. The injuries just cemented it.

Even with guys coming back next year, the squad still probably should drop its 1 on a DL. The unit still would need more juice (Odengibo is okay, not great, DT situation is sketch) and you kind of have to hedge on Hunter/Pierce (neck/chronic weight issues).

It will definitely be interesting to see how Rick maneuvers. The team has 8 picks rounds 3-5. Do you trade up, or with Covid screwing scouting up do you just want lotto tickets? I could definitely see a lot of movement. The team definitely needs a G, and probably another S.

1 hour ago, KeithVikings28 said:

You’re making a lot of speculations.

Pierce hasn’t played football in a year and struggles with weight issues. He’s reported to camp in the past at 390lbs and they didn’t let him practice.

Barr is coming off an injury.

Are Barr and Pierce better than the guys who played yesterday? Of course. That’s me agreeing 100%.

Can we do without them and apply those resources to other areas and get more bang for our buck? I think so. 

Yup. I don't like making all these assumptions with our defense. I'm not counting on Pierce, a guy with past self-motivation problems coming into camp after a year off and being able to compete. Maybe he will, but I'm not going to count on it. I don't even want to count on Hunter being himself (neck injuries are brutal), much less Pierce. And people are really counting on Barr, who, even before yet another significant injury, was little more than a jag? 

For all the resources coming back next year, we project to lose about as much (Harris, Smith another year older, whatever inevitable injuries arise on the defensive side of the ball throughout the course of the season). 

4 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

They’re way overpriced.

How do you know Pierce is overpriced, he hasn't played a down on his contract?

We should be addressing DT, OG, Safety, OT, then Edge rusher in the draft and free agency hard. I don't mind seeing Wonnum/Idenigbo fighting for the end spot opposite of Hunter if we are able to grab a top flight guard and DT first. I still wonder if we need another corner as well if Hughes is going to always be injured.