TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

please don't take away my cheese card, but Swiss does next to nothing for me. I thought for a while it was just because I had only ever had prepackaged sliced versions but I went to the nice grocery store and grabbed an off-cut of a $17/lb wheel of emmentaler  and I still have a hard time imagining I'd ever feel the urge to eat it. Like it's not unpalatable, it just tastes kind of like nothing, but weird. I'll enjoy just about any other cheese I've tried. I just don't get why this is such a popular cheese? I usually like Gruyere quite a bit.

17 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

please don't take away my cheese card, but Swiss does next to nothing for me. I thought for a while it was just because I had only ever had prepackaged sliced versions but I went to the nice grocery store and grabbed an off-cut of a $17/lb wheel of emmentaler  and I still have a hard time imagining I'd ever feel the urge to eat it. Like it's not unpalatable, it just tastes kind of like nothing, but weird. I'll enjoy just about any other cheese I've tried. I just don't get why this is such a popular cheese? I usually like Gruyere quite a bit.

It melts and pairs well with mushroom

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Interesting.

They are nearly identical and at the very least the closest to being the same thing as you will get here in America. They are both Swiss cheeses as they are both technically from Switzerland (a lot of gruyere is now from Austria). The main difference if IIRC is that Swiss comes from pasteurized milk and has holes while gruyere is from whole milk and can but doesn't have to. No idea how or why the holes are a thing. Gruyere also has a(n edible) rind where Swiss doesn't have a rind.

I've got about a dozen types of cheese in my kitchen and pretty much subside on random handfuls or slices of cheese while working and neither is a go to.

We use a 50/50 mix of gruyere and white cheddar in my kitchen for our mac and cheese and it's pretty dang good. Melts like a champ and has a nutty flavor that I personally think is a great combination of texture and flavor with pasta. 

Said it before and I'll say it again about food and music... Personal taste is very personal and while I don't always understand it I get it. If it makes you happy enjoy if it doesn't don't. 

15 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Said it before and I'll say it again about food and music... Personal taste is very personal and while I don't always understand it I get it. If it makes you happy enjoy if it doesn't don't. 

Except ICP.  That isn't music.

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

Don't disagree BUT....

Juggalos > Wooks

All day everyday.

Just saying. 🤷

First time I have heard that term...  I put them at about even tbh.  A wook is a lot less likely to stab me.  And a Juggalo is a whole lot more likely to want meth, than other party favors.  

41 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

First time I have heard that term...  I put them at about even tbh.  A wook is a lot less likely to stab me.  And a Juggalo is a whole lot more likely to want meth, than other party favors.  

You're so lucky. What I wouldn't give to have no knowledge of wooks.

My reasoning is that while both really weird and foreign to me juggalos have some strange sense of community and self awareness while wooks are just so completely self absorbed.

A juggalo would probably let you crash on their couch if you were trashed while a wook would just show up to your house trashed and crash on your couch after you tried to get them to leave countless times.

Edit: Really bad rap is slightly better than really bad EDM or jambands IMO. Again the more self aware argument. I don't think juggalos actual believe ICP are musical greatness but wooks really think Bassnectar or Phish or whatever are. Juggalos are fine with you "not getting it". Wooks will try to explain why you don't. 

Edited by wgbeethree

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

You're so lucky. What I wouldn't give to have no knowledge of wooks.

My reasoning is that while both really weird and foreign to me juggalos have some strange sense of community and self awareness while wooks are just so completely self absorbed.

A juggalo would probably let you crash on their couch if you were trashed while a wook would just show up to your house trashed and crash on your couch after you tried to get them to leave countless times. 

I was saying that I had never known there was a term other than "mooch" for those kinds of dudes.  I have definitely met some in my lifetime.  I am much more likely to attend metal shows than more jammy or edm type stuff, so I typically cross over with more jugglaos.  The only shows that I would have been around these types is Phish or maybe Purity Ring, but that crowd was "gayer" than hippie.  But I also present myself as very preppy and likely won't be approached by many of those individuals.  I'm either a nark or a square.  I have been told that I look "Republican" a couple of times.  LOL 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm often clueless about the various references used in this forum...so I need a little illumination from time to time
Who is Steve Dowden and why does he follow the rules ?

And don't jack me around, I want answers

200_s.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Steve Dowden was the first Packer to be issued number 70.  The last TAPT was closed 3 or 4 times in 2 days because everyone was talking politics and breaking forum rules.  I have no idea if Mr. Dowden followed, broke, or bent any rules;  I just wanted an example and a place to talk about movies and music and farts.

• Like 1

Apropos of nothing, there's a discussion in the Comparisons forum about Brown vs Sanders, and there's an argument that Brown was more dominant than Sanders, with the flip side being that Sanders played in a more competitive era (fully integrated, mainly). 

Check this out: 

1 Barry Sanders * 1989 1998 1-3 DET NFL 153 151 3062 15269 4.99 99 99.8
2 Emmitt Smith* 1990 2000 1-17 DAL NFL 171 169 3537 15166 4.29 145 88.7
3 Thurman Thomas* 1989 2000 2-40 TOT NFL 167 145 2670 11193 4.19 63 67.0
4 Ricky Watters 1992 2000 2-45 TOT NFL 139 138 2550 10325 4.05 77

It isn't that Sanders WASN'T dominant like Brown, it's that Emmitt Smith was there being AS dominant as Sanders was. Add 25% to Thurman Thomas' rushing total, and he's still behind those two. Add 25% to Watters' td total, and he's still behind those two. Without Smith there, Sanders wins two more rushing titles, pushing him from 4 to 6 (and with 2 more average carries, he'd have won a 7th in his rookie season). 

I'm a bit of a numbers guy, and Sanders has ALWAYS passed the eyeball test, but this cinches in my mind that Sanders just may be the GOAT RB. 

Playing Starcraft last night against some computers.  I'm too old to play against people, I am way too slow... I watch the replays to see what I did right and what I did wrong. One of the AI players took out another AI with one DT that ended up with 119 kills before I killed him.  AI didn't even try to get detection, just took his beating.  Other AI didn't send extra troops, was content killing the base with one guy. 

**** you guys, you do care.