Dalvin Cook Holding Out

HTTRDynasty

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

A pet peeve of mine. I seriously hate when the media says "Pro-Bowl X player...." as if this isn't 2020 and most fans don't know how much of joke the Pro Bowl is by now. This has been an on-going issue for the last 15 years. 

• Like 1

I definitely think the RB position gets the short end of the stick considering the rookie pay scale. I think RBs should get two year rookie contracts followed by an additional RFA year where you can assign a tender. Beyond that they should hit UFA. No franchise tag allotments.

They get screwed and used. That said, I wouldn’t pay Cook anywhere close to $16m. With how injury prone he’s proven to be, I would only pay him $8m/year. I think that’s a fair amount for his injury history. Could put performance incentives into the deal for games played and production, that kicks it up to maybe $11-12m. Especially considering the system and coach he plays under has turned street FAs into short term studs before.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I definitely think the RB position gets the short end of the stick considering the rookie pay scale. I think RBs should get two year rookie contracts followed by an additional RFA year where you can assign a tender. Beyond that they should hit UFA. No franchise tag allotments.

They get screwed and used. That said, I wouldn’t pay Cook anywhere close to $16m. With how injury prone he’s proven to be, I would only pay him $8m/year. I think that’s a fair amount for his injury history. Could put performance incentives into the deal for games played and production, that kicks it up to maybe $11-12m. Especially considering the system and coach he plays under has turned street FAs into short term studs before.

In general there is an issue with players outperforming their draft status/having great production as rookies. Kittle has by far outproduced his draft status and is still payed one of the smallest contracts in the league.

Runningbacks get used and then almost told to hit the street, because teams know they can rather easily replace them and still get 80% the production.

I don't know how it would work, but I think especially the RB position could get some help by incentive laden contracts.

How this would work for players who don't put up a great amount of stats, that is most likely the reason that idea doesn't hold water

2 hours ago, Danand said:

In general there is an issue with players outperforming their draft status/having great production as rookies. Kittle has by far outproduced his draft status and is still payed one of the smallest contracts in the league.

Runningbacks get used and then almost told to hit the street, because teams know they can rather easily replace them and still get 80% the production.

I don't know how it would work, but I think especially the RB position could get some help by incentive laden contracts.

How this would work for players who don't put up a great amount of stats, that is most likely the reason that idea doesn't hold water

Well yeah that’s why I think shorter contracts make the most sense. If a team feels they should replace their RB every two seasons that’s on them. But if you’re a RB and you could get a mid level deal early and then continue to get short term deals with nice incentives, that’s better than this current system. You perform and perform early, you get paid.

Players outperforming their contract doesn’t bother me so much. We see that all the time. But when a guy is truly a difference maker and has a short shelf life... he should be able to cash in. Ray Rice for instance got Flacco paid what he got paid. Flacco was never the same without an elite dual threat back. You can’t get 80% of what Ray Rice brought to our squad. Which is why given a different system the Ravens would’ve paid to keep that level of production.

You can get 80% of a Marlon Mack or Jordan Howard or something. Perhaps even a Melvin Gordon. But maybe those RBs would find themselves being move on from sooner. But at least the difference makers will get paid.

But hey I’m completely on board with a guy like Kittle getting paid too. So perhaps another idea would be instead of a shorter contract, perhaps going with more of an NBA level mechanism.

Something akin to their mid level exception (assuming they still have that... haven’t followed the league since Kobe retired), but also similar to a franchise tag.

Perhaps a tag where a team could choose one player a season to apply a “production tag” too whereby said player sees a significant boost in their salary; players tagged with the “production tag” would not have their tag salary count against the cap, only their drafted salary.

It would be only usable on players on their rookie contract. Could be a good incentive to motivate young guys to perform. Could maybe pay them the difference between their rookie salary and what the franchise tag would be that season.

Cheap teams could decide never to use it while teams willing to “pay to play” could use it religiously to keep talent happy and create better faith in contract extension talks.

He's worth more than the $1.6 million he will get this season, and he's not worth more than Henry somewhere around $8-$10 million range, so hopefully both sides can agree to somewhere in the $5-$7 million range. I don't fault him for trying to get his, but he's not getting what he's asking for, especially with his injury history.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Well yeah that’s why I think shorter contracts make the most sense. If a team feels they should replace their RB every two seasons that’s on them. But if you’re a RB and you could get a mid level deal early and then continue to get short term deals with nice incentives, that’s better than this current system. You perform and perform early, you get paid.

Players outperforming their contract doesn’t bother me so much. We see that all the time. But when a guy is truly a difference maker and has a short shelf life... he should be able to cash in. Ray Rice for instance got Flacco paid what he got paid. Flacco was never the same without an elite dual threat back. You can’t get 80% of what Ray Rice brought to our squad. Which is why given a different system the Ravens would’ve paid to keep that level of production.

You can get 80% of a Marlon Mack or Jordan Howard or something. Perhaps even a Melvin Gordon. But maybe those RBs would find themselves being move on from sooner. But at least the difference makers will get paid.

But hey I’m completely on board with a guy like Kittle getting paid too. So perhaps another idea would be instead of a shorter contract, perhaps going with more of an NBA level mechanism.

Something akin to their mid level exception (assuming they still have that... haven’t followed the league since Kobe retired), but also similar to a franchise tag.

Perhaps a tag where a team could choose one player a season to apply a “production tag” too whereby said player sees a significant boost in their salary; players tagged with the “production tag” would not have their tag salary count against the cap, only their drafted salary.

It would be only usable on players on their rookie contract. Could be a good incentive to motivate young guys to perform. Could maybe pay them the difference between their rookie salary and what the franchise tag would be that season.

Cheap teams could decide never to use it while teams willing to “pay to play” could use it religiously to keep talent happy and create better faith in contract extension talks.

Why would the owners do anything even remotely like this? The players would have to fight hard for major structural changes like this and probably give up % of revenue for shorter contracts. Then you have to consider the player's union isn't going to get behind something that takes money from everyone else just to try and be fair to RB.

10 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

In first 3 seasons has played 4 games, 11, games, 14 games in regular seasons, If you cant stay healthy at the most injury prone position you shouldnt be asking for an extension to be paid like a top running back. Especially after having only one good season so far in your career. 

Goes to what i always say better to not pay a running back and just draft one in 2nd or 3rd round of the draft as a replacement. 

Good points. See Alvin Kamara

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I bet they pay it.

I don't think they will.  As @HTTRDynasty pointed out, he loses an accrued season if he doesn't report.  Which means that the Vikings can slap an RFA tender on him next season and he'll be playing for another 1-2M.

Basically he has no leverage.