Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yet, majority of what I spoke about - Friday Night Lights the movie, Friday Night Lights the TV show, Friday Night Tykes the reality TV show, the Dallas Cowboys - are nationally televised items. Specific to the Cowboys, I referenced international brands, and two brands in the biggest cities in the US, New York and Los Angeles.

Regardless of where I am, I can see these things associated with Texas and football. What other state can claim that?

Again - I would need to see the source and the data used to validate such an assumption. Is this based on something as fickle as Twitter hashtags by geolocation? Responses to online surveys? 

How the data is gathered is important in understanding the results of said data. As the old adage goes - garbage in, garbage out.

That media is almost all made in California - where everything is put out in tropes. I wouldn’t rely on that to illustrate how things are.

I understand your specific hesitations with the study, especially since the study is not on hand. Again, I wish I had it readily available.

16 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I've recently lived in Texas and Alabama. 

While HS football is huge in Texas, there are a lot other thing going on in Texas.

Football is also huge in Alabama, and there's a lot less going on. 

Anecdotal evidence at best. I had a client who lives in Birmingham, AL with family in Allen, TX. He went to a game his nephew was playing in, and said the only time he's seen a crowd that big and active was the Iron Bowl, Auburn v Alabama.

This proves my point as much as your statement proves your point - there's no tangible data supplying your viewpoint, it's anecdotal evidence. Likewise, there's no tangible data supplying my clients' viewpoint, it's anecdotal evidence.

What isn't anecdotal? Texas HS coaches salaries, the value of the Dallas Cowboys, the value of the HS stadiums in the state... those represent revenue, tangible figures that can derive what is actually valuable...

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Anecdotal evidence at best. I had a client who lives in Birmingham, AL with family in Allen, TX. He went to a game his nephew was playing in, and said the only time he's seen a crowd that big and active was the Iron Bowl, Auburn v Alabama.

This proves my point as much as your statement proves your point - there's no tangible data supplying your viewpoint, it's anecdotal evidence. Likewise, there's no tangible data supplying my clients' viewpoint, it's anecdotal evidence.

What isn't anecdotal? Texas HS coaches salaries, the value of the Dallas Cowboys, the value of the HS stadiums in the state... those represent revenue, tangible figures that can derive what is actually valuable...

I've never seen a movie made about Alabama high school football, but I have seen "Friday Night Lights" and the Permian Panthers with Texas football.

• Like 1

Just now, Duluther said:

That media is almost all made in California - where everything is put out in tropes. I wouldn’t rely on that to illustrate how things are.

But the origin of Friday Night Lights was the 1988 Permian Basin football team - the events of that movie actually happened in Texas in the 80s. Boobie Miles? He was an actual person, there is no trope to lean on for a true story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

That is entirely contextual on available funds, which is tied to state GDP. I’d best California has better HS coach salaries than Mississippi, but no way in Hell is football more popular there.

Just now, Duluther said:

That is entirely contextual on available funds, which is tied to state GDP. I’d best California has better HS coach salaries than Mississippi, but no way in Hell is football more popular there.

This is further illustrating my point - available funds tied to GDP is applicable to every state BUT Texas, where these coaches are heavily funded by independent boosters.

For reference - 270 HS coaches in Texas make over $100,000. Two of them make more than Texas Governor Greg Abbott. That's not tax dollars at work.

https://fanbuzz.com/high-school/texas-hs-football-coach-salaries/

You don't get this with a passive football community. If the community is pooling money to hire top level talent, you have a community that has passed on casual fandom and literally pushed chips all in.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Source?

They make movies and TV shows about Texas HS football. HS stadiums in the state rival some NFL teams. HS coaches make upwards of six figures in certain cities. The term "Friday Night Lights" is coined after Texas HS football, when entire cities shut down to watch HS games. Hell, there were reality TV shows following Texas PEE WEE football teams. The University of Texas has one of the biggest football budgets in the NCAA, as does Texas A&M. The Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world - worth more than the Yankees, Lakers, AC Milan, Manchester United, by a pretty big amount.

Football is a religion over here. Any "study" that has Texas anything other than #1 (not top 10, not top 5, not top 3 - number 1) is flawed.

@Matts4313 - tell 'em how we do.

Why waste the time? If anyone doubts that football is a religion in Texas, than probably:

8ac64051-1d9b-4555-8562-228cb0277084_tex

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is further illustrating my point - available funds tied to GDP is applicable to every state BUT Texas, where these coaches are heavily funded by independent boosters.

For reference - 270 HS coaches in Texas make over $100,000. Two of them make more than Texas Governor Greg Abbott. That's not tax dollars at work.

https://fanbuzz.com/high-school/texas-hs-football-coach-salaries/

You don't get this with a passive football community. If the community is pooling money to hire top level talent, you have a community that has passed on casual fandom and literally pushed chips all in.

That’s good material. And while no one will deny CFB and NFL is equally as important as HS ball there, this is certainly part of the equation (just not the whole equation).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Cali produces a ridiculous amount of 5 star football players. They, along with Florida and Texas, are basically the breeding grounds for all of the NCAA; which in turn feeds into the NFL. Obviously states like Ohio are right up towards the top in terms of football passion - but its 1/3 the size of Texas/Cali and half the size of FL. 

Look I get you have some study you are basing this on. But not all studies are correct. And even more so, the interpretation of results can be misconstrued easily as well. I can tell you from personal experience, Football in Texas is as natural as breathing. You learn it as a babe and it sticks with you your entire life. Ive coached 10 year olds who know more about football than some of the posters on this site. 

Edited by Matts4313

12 minutes ago, Duluther said:

That’s good material. And while no one will deny CFB and NFL is equally as important as HS ball there, this is certainly part of the equation (just not the whole equation).

I understand that, and I get where Alabama is in the conversation - Auburn/Alabama has been a mainstay of national discussion pretty much since Nick Saban got to Tuscaloosa.

This being said - there was a time where UT and A&M was just as significant a game as the Iron Bowl. Prior to A&M going to the SEC, every Thanksgiving saw the Longhorns and Aggies play on national TV in front of the US. It was one of the more storied rivalries in CFB, right up there with any rivalry you could think of over the years.

Alabama I get, but... Nebraska? They haven't been relevant since the 90s with Tom Osbourne. Why are they so high on the list?

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I understand that, and I get where Alabama is in the conversation - Auburn/Alabama has been a mainstay of national discussion pretty much since Nick Saban got to Tuscaloosa.

This being said - there was a time where UT and A&M was just as significant a game as the Iron Bowl. Prior to A&M going to the SEC, every Thanksgiving saw the Longhorns and Aggies play on national TV in front of the US. It was one of the more storied rivalries in CFB, right up there with any rivalry you could think of over the years.

Alabama I get, but... Nebraska? They haven't been relevant since the 90s with Tom Osbourne. Why are they so high on the list?

Idk, I’m a Minnesota fan. But the study was about conversations in-state; whether Nebraska has been good and relevant nationally isn’t relevant, their population still seems to care. That or they care an extreme amount about HS and/or NFL.

Edit: Nebraska has sold out their stadium (90k) longer than any team at the college and professional levels. 

Edited by Duluther