Browns General Discussion

candyman93

22 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

It's not from a talent standpoint, but if we lose Jarvis I think the soul of the team is gone. I know a lot of guys want to deal him while he's still got a nice bit of value, but he's worth more to us than any other team. Does that make him untouchable? Probably not. I think the FO and coaching staff alike know that he's the guy they turn to when morale is going south. 

Gonna come with a strong disagree here. I say all this while loving Landry and hoping we can make it all work...

While Landry is indeed a team leader, he is also a big-time diva. He was traded so cheap to us because he was going full OBJ in Miami. While I'd love to keep him, I also wonder if it would be better for the team's long-term future to be rid of both receivers, especially if we can get value.

Jarvis is overpaid and there's no reason to think he won't want a lot of money in his next contract, as we have fed him the ball for years; he thinks he's a WR1 (but he's not). Do we want to give him $15 mil (or more? 🤔--could happen if we trade OBJ, which may hurt us in negotiations, both because he may be butthurt and because he'll know we have more money available for WR).

Both guys are coming up on 30, are getting paid big money and will be done on their contracts within two seasons. I would suggest that we don't need to turn to a single player (other than perhaps Baker(?)) anymore when things go south, as we have strong structure and great coaching. $0.02.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

With the release of Richardson, this would be a perfect opportunity to trade a 4th for Tim Settle is an impact player when he is on the field, plays behind two studs and is only 23. This screams analytics, do it

Why would Washington trade Settle?  He's a 5th round pick so he's cheap.  Though his contract is up after this year, He adds valuable depth on the defensive line this year.  And this is the worst DT draft in a LOOOOOONG time so theres no replacement this year.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:35 PM, NudeTayne said:

While Landry is indeed a team leader, he is also a big-time diva. He was traded so cheap to us because he was going full OBJ in Miam

full obj? they traded him because they didnt want to pay him. he was traded for basically what his comp. pick was gonna be. jarvis isnt a diva by the way. emotional leader but not a diva. diva WRs dont play with broken ribs

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, buno67 said:

full obj? they traded him because they didnt want to pay him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780968-jarvis-landry-says-he-didnt-have-good-relationship-with-qb-ryan-tannehill

There was plenty out there about him being a diva and a divisive guy in Miami.

he was traded for basically what his comp. pick was gonna be. jarvis isnt a diva by the way. emotional leader but not a diva. diva WRs dont play with broken ribs

Plenty of divas play with broken ribs etc. It just depends what kind of divas we are talking about. OBJ is the type to play with broken ribs as well. He needs attention and to feel important or he pouts and does stuff like sideline rants. Landry seems like he could be the same.

I say all this loving both players.

Edited by NudeTayne

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780968-jarvis-landry-says-he-didnt-have-good-relationship-with-qb-ryan-tannehill

There was plenty out there about him being a diva and a divisive guy in Miami.

so since he didnt have a good relationship with the QB it makes him a diva? some guys just dont mesh. he came to Cleveland and instantly meshed with Tyrod and Baker. 

i think the issues in miami all stemmed from Gase.

39 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Just putting this out there. 

In 44 days, Landry's dead cap number goes from $3M to $1.5M, clearing up $13.25M in cap space.

Just trying to help prepare those who still believe an overpriced WR is key to this team's success.

If we get a top WR in the draft, this could very well happen.  

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

In 44 days, Landry's dead cap number goes from $3M to $1.5M, clearing up $13.25M in cap space.

Just trying to help prepare those who still believe an overpriced WR is key to this team's success.

So what would the cap impact be if Beckham is the casualty?

10 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

if we cut landry in 44days to save $1.5m the FO is going to look like some clowns. that be very disrespectful because teams will have signed guys and drafted guys and it will screw him over

24 minutes ago, buno67 said:

if we cut landry in 44days to save $1.5m the FO is going to look like some clowns. that be very disrespectful because teams will have signed guys and drafted guys and it will screw him over

It won't save $1.5M, that is the 2022 dead cap number. The cap savings would be $13.25M

Post June 1st cap casualties are something good teams do. Get used to it.

I’d be surprised to see Landry cut (it could happen), but I’d really be surprised if both are here next season.

I think the biggest thing keeping he and OBJ here now is the lack of talent behind them.  I don’t think we need all pros, but we do need quality starters.  I realize we still have the draft, but I’d be surprised to see a team trying to make a super bowl push rely that heavily on rookies.

52 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them try to renegotiate at that point.

I’d like to keep juice, he’s been solid, but he’s overpaid by a good bit.

There’s no sense in paying a slot/possession guy that kind of cash.