Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Question @DawgX is Baker a top 15 QB this year? How about going forward?

This year? No. Going forward I think he still very much could be a franchise QB. He's not worthy of being extended right now, but I said all along that I was never in a rush to extend him until he proved to be more consistent. It's just unfortunate that this was supposed to be the year we could really evaluate Baker and he's been plagued with injuries, so it's hard to make a fair evaluation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

This year? No. Going forward I think he still very much could be a franchise QB. He's not worthy of being extended right now, but I said all along that I was never in a rush to extend him until he proved to be more consistent. It's just unfortunate that this was supposed to be the year we could really evaluate Baker and he's been plagued with injuries, so it's hard to make a fair evaluation.

I think this is all even his most ardent supporters are saying.

It’s not like we’re trying to rush a quarter billion dollar deal or something.

It just seems that for some “let’s see how his 5th year plays out” is some crazy, overly committed stance.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think this is all even his most ardent supporters are saying.

It’s not like we’re trying to rush a quarter billion dollar deal or something.

It just seems that for some “let’s see how his 5th year plays out” is some crazy, overly committed stance.

Plus, what are our other options? Draft a QB in this year's terrible QB class? Hope to acquire someone like Rogers, Wilson or Ryan?

Whether some like it or not, I'd say it's about a 95% certainty that Baker is our QB next season. 

• Like 1

Just now, DawgX said:

Plus, what are our other options? Draft a QB in this year's terrible QB class? Hope to acquire someone like Rogers, Wilson or Ryan?

Whether some like it or not, I'd say it's about a 95% certainty that Baker is our QB next season. 

We’ve already picked up his 5th year option. It’s fully guaranteed.

It’s Baker next season. It’s not even a question at this point.

I fully agree and have been pretty ardent that the obvious play is letting Baker’s 5th year play out. It’s obvious, you have seen enough that you can’t give up on him, but it would be foolish to commit franchise money to him right now, at the same time. With that said, I am open to a third or fourth round type of quarterback this year. Somebody who could possibly develop into a good quarterback in a year or two. It’s an important enough position that it could be worth doing if the right guy was there. Obviously I wouldn’t do it just to do it, but with Mayfield injured, people are getting what they asked for, watching Case Keenum out there. People will be wishing they had a “game manager” again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I fully agree and have been pretty ardent that the obvious play is letting Baker’s 5th year play out. It’s obvious, you have seen enough that you can’t give up on him, but it would be foolish to commit franchise money to him right now, at the same time. With that said, I am open to a third or fourth round type of quarterback this year. Somebody who could possibly develop into a good quarterback in a year or two. It’s an important enough position that it could be worth doing if the right guy was there. Obviously I wouldn’t do it just to do it, but with Mayfield injured, people are getting what they asked for, watching Case Keenum out there. People will be wishing they had a “game manager” again. 

Problem is in this year’s draft class a 3rd/4th round talent is probably going top 5.

This ain’t the year to need a QB.

It’s 2013 bad.

• Like 1

Let Baker play out that 5th year then go from there. You have 2 years to find your guy/cement Baker as the guy of the future. Personally, I'd trade a haul for a proven commodity in a bad situation 2 years from now as opposed to the draft if that guy is available.

3 hours ago, DawgX said:

So... you've compared him to Andy Dalton at one point, then Rex Grossman, and now Mark Sanchez? Your comparisons are all over the place.

Heres the real comparison I saw that the Browns need to make the correct decision on.

Is he Marcus Mariota or is he Drew Brees? Both QBs had a eerily similar first few years as Baker with play/injuries. One went on to be a journeyman backup and the other a HOFer.

The problem is the Browns are running out of time to figure it out. How sure are they that his play on the field is injury related or is it a between the ears/decision making problem. They have about 7 weeks or whatever to figure it out before we enter franchise tag/Wilson/Rodgers debates for the next 6 months.

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The problem is the Browns are running out of time to figure it out. How sure are they that his play on the field is injury related or is it a between the ears/decision making problem. They have about 7 weeks or whatever to figure it out before we enter franchise tag/Wilson/Rodgers debates for the next 6 months.

What are you talking about??

We already picked up his 5th year option, months ago.  He’s here next season on that.  It’s fully guaranteed.

The franchise tag would be for 2023 if 2022 goes ok.  We have easily 42 games before we have to commit anything wild to him.

25 before we even have to tag him.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If Russell Wilson / Aaron Rodgers are willing to play here, do NOT **** around.

I agree with this

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You move heaven and earth to get QBs like that.

Those 2 make you super bowl contenders provided your roster isn’t garbage.

However, let's not pretend like RW hasn't had some pretty major warts for the entire back half of 2020 and this year too. His Red Zone efficiency numbers in his career are also a disaster. So, if you can live with that, great, but he also has some flaws that won't get better either.

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If Russell Wilson / Aaron Rodgers are willing to play here, do NOT **** around.

You move heaven and earth to get QBs like that.

Those 2 make you super bowl contenders provided your roster isn’t garbage.

Unless someone is trading for Baker, that’s not happening.  His entire 18 million is guaranteed for next season.

We eating 18 million for Baker and paying one of those guys 40?  C’mon.