Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah McDavid will be in there. What about Schiefele? Or are they just too stacked...

I think that being only #5 in points, plus having Wheeler right there as well, it's not enough to push him above some of the other guys at the current point in time. 

19 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

ITS OVER

Apparently none of this is true.  Hak is still coach and Q is allegedly out. 

We just called up the savior to our franchise as a 19 year old who's just starting to put it together in the AHL in the middle of this gong show for no reason other than to try and distract the fans from this cluster****.  

21 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

ITS OVER

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

Apparently none of this is true.  Hak is still coach and Q is allegedly out. 

We just called up the savior to our franchise as a 19 year old who's just starting to put it together in the AHL in the middle of this gong show for no reason other than to try and distract the fans from this cluster****.  

40 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Ok I can step down from the ledge.  Hak fired. 

Yea this was a PR mess. I'm guessing the decision was made last night to be reported this morning and Isaac just blew his load early. Scott Gordon has the interim tag until Quenneville officially gets announced, whenever that is. 

Edited by Hockey5djh
  • Like 1

On 16/12/2018 at 9:20 PM, Forge said:

I think that being only #5 in points, plus having Wheeler right there as well, it's not enough to push him above some of the other guys at the current point in time. 

Would you hear arguments for Rantenen, over MacKinnon?

Disclaimer - I am part Finnish (only a small part..) but;

Through the first 33 games of the season Rantanen doesn’t only lead the NHL in scoring, he is on a 1.697 points per game pace. If that continues over the remainder of the season, the 22-year old Finn will end the season with 139 points. That would be the highest total since Mario Lemieux put up 161 in the 1994-95 season.  if he remains on this pace, he’d be the first player not named Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky to win an Art Ross Trophy with more than 130 points since 1980.

He can drop in productivity and still set a new record.

I know he's not as good a player as NM, but...what do you say?

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Would you hear arguments for Rantenen, over MacKinnon?

Disclaimer - I am part Finnish (only a small part..) but;

Through the first 33 games of the season Rantanen doesn’t only lead the NHL in scoring, he is on a 1.697 points per game pace. If that continues over the remainder of the season, the 22-year old Finn will end the season with 139 points. That would be the highest total since Mario Lemieux put up 161 in the 1994-95 season.  if he remains on this pace, he’d be the first player not named Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky to win an Art Ross Trophy with more than 130 points since 1980.

He can drop in productivity and still set a new record.

I know he's not as good a player as NM, but...what do you say?

Absolutely I'd hear arguments for Rantenen. I would have no problem if he got the final three nod over Mac (again, think it's highly unlikely that they both get a final three nod, fair or not). If he keeps up that pace, it's going to be hard to argue he's not the mvp. 

I do think that there are a couple of things working against him, however. 

One, you kind of mentioned, but I think the prevailing thought is that Mac is just the better player. Again, fair or not, I think people probably view it more likely that Rantenen benefits more from Mac than the other way around. LIS, I think the thought is more or less that Mac is the straw that stirs that drink, and that kind of perception can be important. 

Two, Mac is a center. If you're a wing, you really have to do something special to be the MVP. Hall was the exception last year, and he did do something rather special (especially when you look at that team this year without him carrying that team without a herculean effort). There have only been 9 wingers to win the award since 1979, only 11 since 1967, and Ovie has done it twice. It's certainly been better in recent years with 7 wingers winning it in the last twenty years, but still an uphill battle. 

Lastly, Mac may get some sympathy votes for last year. He was absolutely deserving of the award last year, and while I think ultimately the award went to the right player, it was very close in the overall votes and in the opinion of most. 

If Mikko keeps up this ridiculous pace though, I think it'll be hard to keep him off that top 3, and if he keeps up this pace as is, I think it'll be hard to not give him the award. 

• Like 1

On 20/12/2018 at 5:16 PM, Livewire said:

Even in the regular season Pens/Caps games have a playoff type of intensity. Both teams laying it all on the ice.

we’ve rallied from our november slump right in time for christmas, hopefully they can keep the wave going after the break

• Like 1

I can't believe the quotes that came out from the Dallas CEO regarding Seguin and Benn. He's not necessarily wrong, obviously they have struggled and haven't lived up to the contracts this year, but one, everyone is entitled to a down year, and two, dear god, what purpose did that serve? They are both locked up with ridiculous contracts that are probably nigh unmovable without Dallas retaining a huge chunk, and even then, it's going to be a limited market. Assuming that they eat a third of it, both would still require a 6-7 million cap hit, and not every team can just take that on, and in Benn's case in particular, he's locked up through 24-25 and he's already 29 years old, so he'll be 35 by the end of that deal. What kind of team really wants to take on that kind of situation? I just can't remember a front office guy spewing that kind of vitriol at a player in any sport. Obviously, all if forgiven if they start winning and those two play better, but in the mean time, that's a really awkward and weird situation now, and it's not going to get better if the players don't turn it around. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

im happy to say that after watching a lot of hockey this year, i found my team.....

...The Predators.

Great team, awesome coach, amazing playoff atmosphere.  Good choice.  Unfortunately I can't recall any other Preds fans on here (maybe some of the Titans fans?).  

One of my bucket list items is to go to a game there, it looks electric. 

And great call not following any of my lobbying for the Flyers.  You most likely wouldn't be a hockey fan anymore. 

Edited by flyers0909
  • Like 2