What team unexpectedly collapses this year

patriotsheatyan

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Titans, and I actually love the way they’re built as a whole from the coach on down. I just don’t think Tannehill replicates 2019 and I don’t think Henry can sustain what he did down the stretch with 8 man boxes. Granted, that division is always a whirlwind, so who knows?

I expect the Jaguars to emerge from a fairly competitive AFC South. Rest of the teams miss the playoffs.

29 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I expect the Jaguars to emerge from a fairly competitive AFC South. Rest of the teams miss the playoffs.

How?  Not to pick on the worst team, but the Jaguars are pretty clearly top to bottom the worst team in the AFCS, and their locker room seems to pretty consistently have problems.  It's hard to imagine Yan staying there and playing this year, and he's maybe their best player.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The obvious choices here for me are New England and Baltimore. New England has no (healthy) QB

How is NE collapsing unexpected? I am not trying to pick on you but this has been mentioned a few times and I just dont understand

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

How is NE collapsing unexpected? I am not trying to pick on you but this has been mentioned a few times and I just dont understand

Ah yeah that's true...shoot I guess I missed the word "unexpected" and went with "which teams will obviously regress this year".

Whoops.

Well for unexpected I'd definitely go with KC, because I just don't see any way they collapse so if it happens it will definitely be unexpected!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ah yeah that's true...shoot I guess I missed the word "unexpected" and went with "which teams will obviously regress this year".

Whoops.

Well for unexpected I'd definitely go with KC, because I just don't see any way they collapse so if it happens it will definitely be unexpected!

For what it's worth, I dont see the Ravens regressing this year. 

I wouldnt rule out the TB/TB12 experiment as something prone to utter collapse either, but that just may be me being bitter

31 minutes ago, Daniel said:

How?  Not to pick on the worst team, but the Jaguars are pretty clearly top to bottom the worst team in the AFCS, and their locker room seems to pretty consistently have problems.  It's hard to imagine Yan staying there and playing this year, and he's maybe their best player.

I think the Jaguars are underrated all around. Would help is Yan plays and Fournette too but even still I think they are every bit as competitive as the rest of their division.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:32 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Pittsburgh. Ben Roethlisberger is gonna crash methinks. 

First off, people have been saying this for several years.   This year it may be more likely due to age and coming from a serious injury, but it seems more like wishful thinking from some fans more than anything.   Obviously it could happen, but have to see where he is, first.  

Secondly, Steelers were 8-8 last year with the worst QB play in the league and no running game.

James Conner is coming back, and even if Ben declines, its hard to imagine him being worse than the QB play last year.   In fact, I can GUARANTEE it wont be that bad, especially if our running game is somewhat better and our defense continues to get better and Ben only has to manage the game.    Only way I see Ben playing anywhere near as bad as the QBs played last year is if Conner goes down and our pass blocking is cheeks (both of which are entirely possible).  

Bottom line....Steelers may very well miss the playoffs again, but a collapse?    Doubt it.   Defense will still keep us somewhat competitive like it did last year.  

16 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I think the Jaguars are underrated all around. Would help is Yan plays and Fournette too but even still I think they are every bit as competitive as the rest of their division.

Again, I'm wondering how you arrive at that conclusion.  Fournette looks like a pretty average starting RB, they don't have a proven QB, there aren't any more proven elite front seven guys (which was their bread and butter when they were successful a few years ago) other than maybe Josh Allen and Myles Jack (who is coming off of an injury), and their draft picks will likely have even less impact than usual with a shortened offseason.

They've probably fixed their OL, but I don't know if it's still better than last in the division, and they were 2-2 last year in one score games, which doesn't scream under-performing to me.  They got blown out in their other 7 losses, and most telling of all, they won two of their seven wins against the Jets and Bengals, two of the worst teams in the league, while two others came against the Broncos and Titans before they figured it out late in the season, so if anything, they were actually worse than their record last year.

And their competition in the division are two playoff teams that won playoff games and a pretty stacked roster with Philip Rivers taking over.  I really don't see how they win that division short of Houston, Tennessee, and Indy all getting hit with a tremendous number of injuries.

I struggle to find a single position where they're not the weakest in the entire division.

• Like 1

Indianapolis Colts, fantastic team and I'm feeling Rivers makes them a SB contender, but I could see a QB switch this offseason being one of the worst times to have a QB switch and it disappointing and the Titans finished last year hot and Watson is a superstar. I could see Colts having a collapse in 2020 Rivers retiring and them rebounding fast with a Fields or Lawrence Curtis Painter to Andrew Luck style.

Saints are also uber talented, but it's not super difficult to see a possible collapse. The Buccaneers just added Brady to the division, the Panthers took the Saints 5-0 back up plan at QB (though I believe in Winston, it's hard to imagine if he has to start 5 games next year with this offseason and his risk taking profile against Bridgewaters safe as all get out approach I'm not sure 5-0 is an expectation at all). Then Kamara is in a money year and could hold out or something which would be a massive ding, especially after seeing McCaffrey's deal. I don't know if I'm as sold on the Saints guard duo this year as that's been a super strength for the team basically since Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans. This year Andrus Peat was paid, and if he does a got paid and regress which I'm not saying is likely just something that happens, and they've moved on from Warford to I assume Cesar Ruiz who may struggle as a rookie (but I love him as a prospect, just this is probably a tough year to be a rookie star). Then that could be some regression. Maybe the Falcons roar back returning a lot of their team off an injury plagued year and the Saints might be in a fight for #2/#3 in the division in a year with SB aspirations.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

First off, people have been saying this for several years.   This year it may be more likely due to age and coming from a serious injury, but it seems more like wishful thinking from some fans more than anything.   Obviously it could happen, but have to see where he is, first.  

Secondly, Steelers were 8-8 last year with the worst QB play in the league and no running game.

James Conner is coming back, and even if Ben declines, its hard to imagine him being worse than the QB play last year.   In fact, I can GUARANTEE it wont be that bad, especially if our running game is somewhat better and our defense continues to get better and Ben only has to manage the game.    Only way I see Ben playing anywhere near as bad as the QBs played last year is if Conner goes down and our pass blocking is cheeks (both of which are entirely possible).  

Bottom line....Steelers may very well miss the playoffs again, but a collapse?    Doubt it.   Defense will still keep us somewhat competitive like it did last year.  

I hope they don’t collapse like no other. Stay away from the elite QB prospects. 

The Titans with Tannehill and a host of question marks makes me think they'll regress to around .500.

The Colts organization has a solid foundation and that includes their player roster as well, but it has holes in the secondary in particular and I question the effectiveness of Rivers at this point.

The Texans to me are the strongest competition in the AFC South but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jaguars offense is the division's best. Combine what I think will be the Jaguars strong offense, a talented defense, (primarily in the front seven), the fact that the Texans have a highly suspect rushing attack, to go with the rest of the South's roster construction deficiencies, and I think that is where there is an argument is to made for playoff expectations.

@Daniel

Edited by DoleINGout

16 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I don't denounce the Jaguars front seven despite the reasoning you provide. I think their Minshew proved a lot and is the key difference here. The weapons he has are legit as well.

I mean, weird flex, but OK.  I'm gonna be shocked if he keeps the starting job from Dobbs, frankly.

I think the Titans will be a team that collapses, for a couple of reasons.  Like many have stated, I don't think Tannehill can duplicate his 2019 season. Maybe he can, maybe it was a matter of things just, finally, clicking for him, but I think it was more, he had no pressure last season, he was a backup trying to save the team, not the starter trying to will the team to victory.  The 2nd reason is the curse when a running back rushes for more than 300 carries in a season, Henry had 321 touches in the regular season and another 88 in the playoffs.  The curse of 400 touches is even worse than the curse of 300.

The other team I think will end up below .500 is the Eagles.  Wentz just did not look that good last year and I think they were the product of a weak division, I can see the Giants making a push to win that division this year and the other teams will be battling it out for 2nd place.

• Like 1