Vikings extend HC Mike Zimmer

RaidersAreOne

59 minutes ago, Duluther said:

38-7 in a title game means you might not be HC material.

Soo... should we just can LaFleur now for his 37-8 title game? And no context allowed for him if it’s not allowed for Zim (as rudimentary thinking as that is). If it means it for one, it means it for both.

Yeah, and Sean Payton should have never been a SB winning coach since he got destroyed by the Bears 39-14 in his first conference championship appearance.

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I can live with that
Human brains are wired to look for patterns, its how we learn and stay alive.
Sometimes the pattern holds true, sometimes it doesn't. But in the case of the NFL scheduling system - having a "good" year leads to a tougher schedule and a worse record, while having a "bad" year leads to an easier schedule and a better record. When you look at the vikes pattern, it would seem to hold true - but whether or not its predictive of the 2020 vikes is still TBD. 

But the other link I posted carries more weight than the W/L pattern - how did the 2019 vikes do when they faced top competition ?
And the answer is 1-5 vs Top 10 and 4-7 vs top 16. That's rather telling imo.

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

Thanks for being reasonable, again :) 

I think a lot of that is Cousins choking in crunch time, the interior OL being bad, and having a new offense under a first year OC. If I had to pick, I'd take my chances with Zimmer over Cousins every time. I still think this is the right move for the team right now.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Well, he cheated to win in his only victory.

True...but, my Vikings didn't do themselves any favors in fumbling the ball god knows how many times.  They were doing their best to give it away.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

True...but, my Vikings didn't do themselves any favors in fumbling the ball god knows how many times.  They were doing their best to give it away.

Most of the time, there is a cascade of events that lead to a bitter loss, or it wouldn't be so bad.  Packers losing the 2014 NFCC still makes me angry.  Last year? Not so much.  That was probably the worst match-up we could have faced, and we all knew it going in.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think he's average for an NFL coach and I feel like he's underachieved given the talent he's had

The Vikings under Zimmer have been one of the best teams in the league against the spread, IIRC 2nd only to Belichick. That suggests he's generally been able to get good mileage out of the talent he's working with. 

They've been blown out in a couple of playoff games and haven't done well against good-but-not-great divisional opponents the last 2 years, even at home and with the playoffs or division on the line. There are only a few of those black marks on an otherwise solid record, but they are pretty bad.

In his defense, he's been in a tough situation -- hired into a division that had a HOF QB still in his prime (quick: name another head coach that's survived 7+ years in the same division with Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, etc), losing 2 of his starting QBs to career ending/altering injuries, and having no luck in the playoff draw (the Vikings have faced the best possible NFC team by DVOA in every game of their 3 playoff runs under Zimmer so far). 

• Like 2

Ultimately a good but not spectacular coach, can’t be upset with this move. 

Not sure how much say he has in personnel, but I think the GM has hamstrung the guy with pretty terrible offensive lines. Most don’t love the Cousins deal either, granted there was at least optimism there. 

9 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Everything is circumstantial and every team faces difficult circumstances.The HC's main job as CEO - is leading the way to overcome any & all obstacles. If you can't do that, then you might not be HC material. Zimmer's defensive acumen is very high, his defensive roster is loaded with talent

But with the chance to HOST and play in a Super Bowl on the line, his top ranked defense got run out of Philadelphia 38 -7.
In a results-based business, that's just not good enough.

I agree with you on that.  You don't get opportunities like that very often.  When they do come along, you have to cash in on them.  As others have said, he is a great defensive coach.  One thing I will give him credit for is that he does seem to know that he either just doesn't want to deal with the offense, or isn't up to it.  He has been willing to submit his ego and bring in very capable OCs to take care of the offense.  I will also give him a pass on the QB situation.  No other coach in the league has had worse luck when it comes to the QB situation over the last 6 years.  I have my doubts about Kirk getting us to the promised land, but if we can get that defense back up to Top 5 level, and keep the weapons around Kirk, maybe we can do it.  I'm skeptical, but stranger things have happened.  Heck, the Chicago Cubs won the World Series a few years back.  I'm just getting REALLY tired of waiting for it to happen. 

19 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Everything is circumstantial and every team faces difficult circumstances.The HC's main job as CEO - is leading the way to overcome any & all obstacles. If you can't do that, then you might not be HC material. Zimmer's defensive acumen is very high, his defensive roster is loaded with talent

But with the chance to HOST and play in a Super Bowl on the line, his top ranked defense got run out of Philadelphia 38 -7.
In a results-based business, that's just not good enough.

Using this extremely narrow logic, I guess your coach ain't up for the job either then, right?

Zimmer is a good coach. Given how crazy his OC Coordinator and QB position has been, I'd say he's done very well.

18 hours ago, Krauser said:

The Vikings under Zimmer have been one of the best teams in the league against the spread, IIRC 2nd only to Belichick. That suggests he's generally been able to get good mileage out of the talent he's working with. 

They've been blown out in a couple of playoff games and haven't done well against good-but-not-great divisional opponents the last 2 years, even at home and with the playoffs or division on the line. There are only a few of those black marks on an otherwise solid record, but they are pretty bad.

In his defense, he's been in a tough situation -- hired into a division that had a HOF QB still in his prime (quick: name another head coach that's survived 7+ years in the same division with Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, etc), losing 2 of his starting QBs to career ending/altering injuries, and having no luck in the playoff draw (the Vikings have faced the best possible NFC team by DVOA in every game of their 3 playoff runs under Zimmer so far). 

Fair Take.

He has had premium defensive talent much of that time, however. Will be interesting to see how his defense performs over the next couple years as some established talent departs his defense and some players are aging. 

I honestly really like Zimmer as a coach, but with the way the NFL is going, I would rather have an offensive minded head coach. All of the good OCs are getting scooped up, so I think it will be hard to have a consistently good offense for a while without the offensive head coach. That being said, Kubiak might stick around for a while, hopefully his offense can still keep up. 

18 hours ago, Krauser said:

Sounds like he's cursed. You should have moved on 😀
Just kidding. He's a good HC. Not the best in the North...but good.