Washington to go by "Washington Football Team" for 2020

HolmesPriest

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I laughed at this more than I probably should have.

perhaps the appropriate amount.

Honestly there are a few reasons to do this. One is that you can just rip off the logo from current jerseys and helmets both for on field use and for retail and still use them. So they can sell off stock as well. Second, rushing this would wind up a disaster IMO. With license and design and production it seemed like a process that would take longer than they had time for given the season is currently scheduled to start on time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Kinda embarrassing that with all the resources the NFL has they couldn't scrounge together a more permanent name. It's something they should've already been giving thought to, tbh. Was only going to be a matter of time.

My guess is that the name they wanted / picked is trademarked by someone else. There was an article that was put out recently that talked about how just one guy has like dozens of trademarks dating back years for all the possible washington names. My guess is that they haven't been able to work that out yet. 

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Kinda embarrassing that with all the resources the NFL has they couldn't scrounge together a more permanent name. It's something they should've already been giving thought to, tbh. Was only going to be a matter of time.

Honestly I dont think they were planning on making a name change. I think with everything going on with protesting and some one throwing out there the name they quickly wanted to react to it knowing that this big news coming out on racism and sexual harassment along with other stuff gets buried. So we talk more about the possible name change while this dumpster fire in the organization is being hidden a bit. So quickly removing the name will be a nice gesture when stuff is hitting the fan at a deeper level. Not saying the name change shouldnt have happened but it could have been done a long time ago yet all of the sudden Snyder is okay with it even though he has fought for it for years. I think now he just cares about keeping the team without being forced out and changing the name may assist in that

Sooner or later, they'll have them remove the name "Washington" because he owned slaves.  

They'll just have to go by "red and gold" football team. 

But, that won't work either, because the color gold is too capitalistic and the color red offends bulls.  

So, then they'll have to just go by "football team one hour south from Baltimore."  

But then, that won't work either, because using the word "south" implies that they're Confederates.  

So then they'll have to call themselves "football team anonymous."  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Sooner or later, they'll have them remove the name "Washington" because he owned slaves.  

They'll just have to go by "red and gold" football team. 

But, that won't work either, because the color gold is too capitalistic and the color red offends bulls.  

So, then they'll have to just go by "football team one hour south from Baltimore."  

But then, that won't work either, because using the word "south" implies that they're Confederates.  

So then they'll have to call themselves "football team anonymous."  

Only A Sith Deals In Absolutes GIF | Gfycat

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

My guess is that the name they wanted / picked is trademarked by someone else. There was an article that was put out recently that talked about how just one guy has like dozens of trademarks dating back years for all the possible washington names. My guess is that they haven't been able to work that out yet. 

I saw that guy quoted recently as saying that he actually didnt want any money, but "wanted to make sure someone else didnt own the names and try and turn a profit". 

K