COVID in Baseball Thread: 2 Mets Test Positive

ramssuperbowl99

12 hours ago, N4L said:

the only two places with the infrastructure were arizona and florida, two states that didnt take it seriously until it was a full, raging epidemic. 

Arizona was doing good at first, really proactive at shutting everything down and we had one of the better rates. Then the head idiots in charge think because we're doing good that we're safe to reopen. Then you have a Governor who says Arizonans just need to live with the virus. We were doing good and then stumbled across the finish line and face planted directly into the dirt and have become one of the worst states for it.

Marly Rivera, ESPN Writer -  I've spoken to several MLB managers in both Leagues, and one thing they're really concerned about has been team hotels being full of people. Two managers told me about weddings being celebrated at the team hotel, which were really crowded and no social distancing was practiced.

They ahd to figure out a way to do bubble(s) or not have the season. Could have 1 bubble in NY area, 1 in AZ, and 1 in San fran. Put NL and AL division at each. Have the hotel and surrounding area be a bubble, have shuttles directly to stadiums. 

Also them leaving it up to Marlins players to make the decision is gross negligence. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Marly Rivera, ESPN Writer -  I've spoken to several MLB managers in both Leagues, and one thing they're really concerned about has been team hotels being full of people. Two managers told me about weddings being celebrated at the team hotel, which were really crowded and no social distancing was practiced.

That's ridiculous.  All these teams have the cash to make the hotel exclusive to the players and personnel.  

• Like 2

It's always reassuring to me that a multi billion dollar industry can't figure it out and get things right but I'm sure our Ohio High School Athletic Association will nail this one for HS Football in...*Checks Calendar*...less than 3 days when we start practice.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:00 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

After thinking about this for most of the evening, they should have copied the bubble/area model.  I'm not sure if Texas would have worked out at this point, but you figure that Washington/Baltimore/Philadelphia has three MLB stadiums, and Baltimore has close affiliates for practice fields, as well as the Potomac Nats.  New York figures to have been another place with both NYC parks and Buffalo.  Probably LA and the surrounding areas.  Then keep your taxi squads at a home base if you need them.  

But this is really bad, and if it's 11 positive cases already, there are more to come and a team could be further cleared out.  I wonder if more players step aside. 

I'm not a big baseball fan but I know Arizona has several stadiums (besides just the Diamondbacks) for spring training. If you are removing fans, stadium seating size shouldn't matter.

17 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm waiting for Manfred to announce teams will now be staying at motels to better abide by social distancing requirements.

Probably not until he and bunch of the owners buy tons of stock in Motel 6.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I'm not a big baseball fan but I know Arizona has several stadiums (besides just the Diamondbacks) for spring training. If you are removing fans, stadium seating size shouldn't matter.

It’s also ballpark dimensions. And I imagine stadium security. Some of the minor league stadiums have open outfields beyond the walls (this is the case for two orioles affiliates) and are definitely more difficult to secure.