Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I don't think so if only because of Dwelley's versatility in replacing Juice...but I could certainly be overstating that, I just know that Shanny loves that stuff. 

Honestly, and I'm a fan of Dwelley but is it really versatility when you just play that position but aren't good at it? Like our running game was horrendous for the most part when Dwelley was playing FB.

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, and I'm a fan of Dwelley but is it really versatility when you just play that position but aren't good at it? Like our running game was horrendous for the most part when Dwelley was playing FB.

In fairness, we were also missing both starting tackles during this time. I'm not sure I can lay the blame for a crap running game at the feet of a split end learning a new position on the fly while missing both quality tackles .

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, we were also missing both starting tackles during this time. I'm not sure I can lay the blame for a crap running game at the feet of a split end learning a new position on the fly while missing both quality tackles .

But he flat out wasn't good. Does he get the entire blame? Of course not but Dwelley isn't a good blocker yet period. That's why is it saying much that he has versatility? You can technically put Dante Pettis at TE, but that damn sure doesn't mean he is versatile or will do a good job there lol. 

It's going to be interesting to see who they go with as the 3rd TE. Usually that player is usually a run blocking TE, but that won't be the case here. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But he flat out wasn't good. Does he get the entire blame? Of course not but Dwelley isn't a good blocker yet period. That's why is it saying much that he has versatility? You can technically put Dante Pettis at TE, but that damn sure doesn't mean he is versatile or will do a good job there lol. 

It's going to be interesting to see who they go with as the 3rd TE. Usually that player is usually a run blocking TE, but that won't be the case here. 

I don't remember him being awful. Getting blown up a play or two, but I don't remember calling for the dude's head or anything while he was playing. Given what he was dealing with, it was okay. He won't ever be Toilolo or anything, I get that, but I don't think that he was bad enough to where that isn't a benefit for his evaluation. If they want strictly someone whos' going to stay inline and block, sure, it makes sense that they will go elsewhere, but didn't we also carry 4 last year, or am I mistaken? So my guess is that if we want that, he'll make the roster and they'll carry a fourth for that purpose. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't remember him being awful. Getting blown up a play or two, but I don't remember calling for the dude's head or anything while he was playing. Given what he was dealing with, it was okay. He won't ever be Toilolo or anything, I get that, but I don't think that he was bad enough to where that isn't a benefit for his evaluation. If they want strictly someone whos' going to stay inline and block, sure, it makes sense that they will go elsewhere, but didn't we also carry 4 last year, or am I mistaken? So my guess is that if we want that, he'll make the roster and they'll carry a fourth for that purpose. 

PFF had Dwelley as the worst run blocker on the team by far during the stretch he replaced Juice and that matched the eye test. He was getting little to no push and was getting blown up in spots. And really that is to be expected since he's learning how to block. 

While discussing this, it completely slipped my mind that Woerner is on the team and he almost certainly will make the roster. And obviously he IS a good run blocker that will be able to play some FB in case Juice gets hurt. Hokit can be called up at any point with the new roster rules as well. 

22 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Well the timing of this is less than ideal. Hopefully it's a false positive. 

It could also be that he's not a positive at all and he's just been exposed to someone who has it. If they haven't pulled him off in a few days, I think we will know where we stand lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Can we stop with these injuries already? Imagine if Shanny allowed tackling like he was discussing. 

we were tackling, but then we stopped when people started getting injured. I am sure we did start up again if dre got a concussion though.

I have a bad feeling warner tested positive. 

Azeez would be the next man up. He flashed early, but definitely had some struggles later on in the year. 

I have a really bad feeling about week 1

Edited by N4L

16 minutes ago, N4L said:

we were tackling, but then we stopped when people started getting injured. I am sure we did start up again if dre got a concussion though.

I have a bad feeling warner tested positive. 

Azeez would be the next man up. He flashed early, but definitely had some struggles later on in the year. 

I have a really bad feeling about week 1

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138969-risk-kyle-shanahan-plans-tackling-during-49ers-training/ 

I'm pretty sure he decided against it. I think we started seeing people drop prior to any tackling with Deebo, Richie, Hurd, etc.