Training camp 2020 thread

paul-mac

23 hours ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Is there any downside to signing Clowney to a 1 year deal? I mean, why not?

He would take up a lot of money (cash and cap space) that will be better spent on our young players coming up (Sutton, Simmons, Lindsey). I think Seattle gambled in trading for him, expecting to get a 3rd round comp pick but that backfired. I don't see why that would be different for us given the cap is supposed to drop next year as well. Add that he would expect to start and we have a great duo in Miller and Chubb, I don't see any way we would sign him, or why either parties would consider each other unless we were a top team like DAL, NO, KC, BAL who are expected to make a serious push for a Super Bowl. 

7 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

He would take up a lot of money (cash and cap space) that will be better spent on our young players coming up (Sutton, Simmons, Lindsey). I think Seattle gambled in trading for him, expecting to get a 3rd round comp pick but that backfired. I don't see why that would be different for us given the cap is supposed to drop next year as well. Add that he would expect to start and we have a great duo in Miller and Chubb, I don't see any way we would sign him, or why either parties would consider each other unless we were a top team like DAL, NO, KC, BAL who are expected to make a serious push for a Super Bowl. 

You're probably right. I was thinking we had extra cap room from James so, we could splurge on a 1 year deal. But I agree it's never gonna happen.

Butt says he’s healthy for the first time since college. Been a mismatch this far in camp exploiting the seams. Could we have gone from TE being a glaring weakness to a strength in just 2 years? It remains to be seen but I’m hopeful. Kid always had the talent. Imagine a 3 TE jumbo set with Gordon that you can shift to a 5 wide. Could be fun

• Like 1

7 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Butt says he’s healthy for the first time since college. Been a mismatch this far in camp exploiting the seams. Could we have gone from TE being a glaring weakness to a strength in just 2 years? It remains to be seen but I’m hopeful. Kid always had the talent. Imagine a 3 TE jumbo set with Gordon that you can shift to a 5 wide. Could be fun

So, you know me, I'm pretty much a skeptic. That said, in the over half century I've been a fan of this team I've never seen this kind of talent in offensive skill positions.

It makes me laugh a bit, but yeah, we could be obscenely loaded. A healthy Jake was seen as the best TE in his class. Noahs physical gifts are off the scale and our new additions in Vannett and Albert added to Fumagali and Fort make this position ridiculously deep and strong. 

Our Wr's will probably be the best we've ever had. We already know what Courtland brings but Jeudy is probably a generational talent. Hamler could be the most productive of the group, simply because he'll never deal with double coverage.

Lindsay and Gordon at RB? Seriously UK, in the 57 years I've been watching and a fan of this franchise I've never seen anything close to this talent level and depth. If Shurmers even close to "as advertised" this should be an amazing offense. 

Oh yeah, lets not forget the OL. We have more IOL talent then we've ever had. Bolles is a stud LT and people should start figuring that out this year. RT is the only sore spot but I think that'll be taken care of with roster adjustments. No way is Wilkinson the 5th best O Lineman on the team. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Oh yeah, lets not forget the OL. We have more IOL talent then we've ever had. Bolles is a stud LT and people should start figuring that out this year. RT is the only sore spot but I think that'll be taken care of with roster adjustments. No way is Wilkinson the 5th best O Lineman on the team.

You've lost me here.  If Bolles could actually play they'd have picked up his 5th year option.  I don't think they're declining that based on a rash of penalties last year, that's teachable.  

I agree we're stacked with talent at pretty much every position group on offense.  But I hope your bullishness proves right on the OL. 

It’s far and away the best group of athletes Denver has had collectively at the skill positions. Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant, Albert O and Lindsay all have difference making athletic traits. Even Gordon has that size + strength + explosiveness combo to fill a workhorse role when asked. Combined with some hopefully aggressive play calling, the upside with this group the next few years is incredibly high. 

• Like 1

"I've talked to Drew Lock about his footwork since the @seniorbowl - talked about it with him multiple times last year. Happy to report his footwork looks really improved so far. Need to see him under fire but so far so good. #BroncosCamp @1043TheFan

— Cecil Lammey (@CecilLammey) August 16, 2020"

These are the types of updates I want more consistently during camp. Love hearing how much progress Lock has made in his mechanics. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Albert O is faster than Fant and he's like 50 pounds heavier

Try 6 pounds. Edged Fant by .01 in the 40 so your statement is true in a straight line. However Fant is a much better overall athlete with quickness and an all around better football player.

• Like 2

Albert O’s 40 surprised me. He’s definitely at least an above average athlete for the position but he doesn’t move with the WR fluidity of guys like Fant and Kittle. Still a really talented player with years of chemistry with your starting QB, so he’s a nice piece to have. I see Fant having the potential to be one of the biggest matchup nightmares in football.