Future of TNF on TV

pf9

14 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

I love TNF. It's the perfect fill-in for the Monday to Sunday gap. There's already too many games to keep up with on Sunday too.

I think they should do two things:

1. Mandate that any teams that have an upcoming Thursday night game,  have to play in the "early"  Sunday games, so that they basically get most of Sunday for recovery time.

2. Split the TNF package between NBC and ESPN. Fox and CBS already get to split all of the Sunday games.

The early games don't usually end until 4:30 PM, by the time the guys are on the way back home/to the hotel it's probably around 6 PM. It's not like they're getting "most of Sunday" to recover.

52 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Because the game is watered down enough already as it is. Watching NFL football 3 days in a row and 4 days in a single week becomes exhausting itself and even more so when you're also trying to keep up with college football. At least with the Thursday night games you get a nice break in between. 

If it's exhausting.......don't watch it 4 days a week?

1 minute ago, mcmurtry86 said:

The early games don't usually end until 4:30 PM, by the time the guys are on the way back home/to the hotel it's probably around 6 PM. It's not like they're getting "most of Sunday" to recover.

3 added hours of rest from the early start time vs the late start time is very minimal in the grand scheme of things.

55 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

If it's exhausting.......don't watch it 4 days a week?

And I guess if I don't like commercials I should just not watch football at all either right?

This is about as good as someone saying "well if you don't wanna go to work....then don't".

9 minutes ago, Siv said:

Would it be possible for them to make it so whichever teams are playing Thursday Night could be coming off a bye the previous week ? Or is that not realistic? 

Then they would only have a couple of days before their game on the following Sunday.

I think bye weeks should be mandatory following Thursday games.

Except for the season opener and Thanksgiving, I'd like to see Thursday night football be set up so that all teams playing on Thursday were coming off their bye week.  The Thursday night product would be so much better if the games were played by teams coming off extended rest. This year the bye weeks come in weeks 5-11, so that would mean no Thursday night football in weeks 2-5 or 13-17.  I'd be fine with that.

15 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Except for the season opener and Thanksgiving, I'd like to see Thursday night football be set up so that all teams playing on Thursday were coming off their bye week.  The Thursday night product would be so much better if the games were played by teams coming off extended rest. This year the bye weeks come in weeks 5-11, so that would mean no Thursday night football in weeks 2-5 or 13-17.  I'd be fine with that.

Again, doesn't that mean that the Thursday night teams have another game just a couple of days following TNF, on the upcoming Sunday?

4 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Again, doesn't that mean that the Thursday night teams have another game just a couple of days following TNF, on the upcoming Sunday?

No, it doesn't.  The Thursday night game is the 1st game of the week, not the last.  Just like today, the teams playing on Thursday night have 10 days to prep for their next game.  If the teams playing on Thursday are coming off their bye, that means they'd have 10 days on both sides of the Thursday game.

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

3 added hours of rest from the early start time vs the late start time is very minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, but no team should play on Sunday night and then the following Thursday.  Saints had to do this a couple years ago, where they played on Sunday night, then had to travel to Carolina for Thursday.  That's basically no rest at all.  Paradoxically, the Saints won both games anyway.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:18 PM, Carmen Cygni said:

I'd prefer they do away with TNF altogether. The product is horrible and awful for players. Having to play 4 days after a game is nothing but a selfish acquisitive move and completely hypocritical to the NFL's supposed new mantra of player safety. 

I agree with this. Unfortunately, the NFL will never acknowledge it unless they are forced to do so. It will probably take an ugly injury to a popular player during a TNF game and a public outcry from both fans and the media.

Also, split every game between CBS, ABC and NBC and cut out FOX entirely until they stop letting Joe Buck call games.

Archived