Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Might want to check where Savage is lining up before you judge him.

He's been lining up so deep that by the time receivers reach him the QB has already completed a pass 15 yards downfield on a lot of plays.

If you don't put players in a position to excel and you're playing not to get beaten deep, you can't really judge Savage.

I can't confirm he's playing deep every play, but I'm pretty sure I literally never see 26. 

You are right about where he lines up.  I only see him on the ground after whiffing on ankle tackles.

When you take a safety in round one, you expect more than what we've gotten.

And much of that is how he's been used.  But right now, if we wanted a safety to line up that deep, there is no need to take that guy via a trade up back into round one.  

My only consolation concerning him is at least he wasn't Baker.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

When RBs are breaking into the 3rd level, missed tackles are created. It has nothing to do with being soft. That's just a cliche word to describe a bad defense. This defense isn't soft, it's at a disadvantage from the snap based on alignment and predictably. 

the team is also bad at tackling though.  they frequently find themselves in the right spot and get hands on guys and don't get those guys to the ground.

I understand this happens to a lot of teams and it's especially frustrating to see so people tend to double count it when it happens to "their" team.

The safeties are bad at run fits, Savage especially.

Lol.  Somebody find that article where Pettine essentially admits to not coaching run fits.

It’s not a talent problem.

Pettine’s philosophy is KILL, which stands for Keep It Likable, Learnable.

It’s easy to learn if you don’t teach all that much, and I don’t think the players are finding it very likable anymore.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  Somebody find that article where Pettine essentially admits to not coaching run fits.

It’s easy to learn if you don’t teach all that much, and I don’t think the players are finding it very likable anymore.

it sounds like his philosophy is "play hard" which is just asking people to do idiotic things and run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

KILL is exactly like our defensive strategy back when I was in YAFL at 12 years old:  tackle the guy with the football.

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I wasn't able to watch this game live because every stupid bar in Pittsburgh was full to the gills with Steelers/Ravens but I just got done watching this.

Normally I say wait for the All 22. Or say that it's not the coaches, it's the players. That wasn't the case here. This was without question the worst coached game of defensive football I have ever watched the Packers play. 

Fire this man. It is the same exact bull**** that kills us over and over again. Our inability to adjust to the 1 WR sets is the most confusing thing I have ever seen. Our insistence on keeping Amos and Savage out of the box is debilitating. Our predictability is basically DII college level. And it is so easily manipulatable.

The Vikings could have matched up Thielen on Savage every play if they wanted to. 

The Vikings could have gotten 6 yards per pass on nothing but bubble screens on 75% of the snaps. 

Our pass rush, even out of the pressure packages, is totally dead. 

This is the God damn NFL. You can't show your coverage on every play. And to think you can is just beyond arrogant. To think you can sit back and the other team will eventually make a mistake is proving to be false when you put no pressure on them to make that mistake. 

A new coach doesn't even need to come in here and introduce a new book. We've got adequate coverage looks and players. We just need to play them more.

This was a worse coached game than the 49ers playoff game. This loss included many of those same elements, but by a less impressive offensive roster and coaching mind. At least we occasionally got off the field against the 49ers. 

Maybe I'm overreacting to one week, but this was awful. Just plain awful.

I really need to watch this one again, ideally the All-22 but I think even the TV copy would be illuminating.  My read live was that this was was a level of ineptitude and failure that you don't see often in professional football.

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

I really need to watch this one again, ideally the All-22 but I think even the TV copy would be illuminating.  My read live was that this was was a level of ineptitude and failure that you don't see often in professional football.

Honestly man, you don't need the All-22 for the first half. Every failure is on display without it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You are right about where he lines up.  I only see him on the ground after whiffing on ankle tackles.

When you take a safety in round one, you expect more than what we've gotten.

And much of that is how he's been used.  But right now, if we wanted a safety to line up that deep, there is no need to take that guy via a trade up back into round one.  

My only consolation concerning him is at least he wasn't Baker.

What's wrong with Budda Baker? Didn't he go to the Pro Bowl last year?

Anyway, I think Savage is clearly in a sophomore slump. He's just not making some of the splash plays he was last year. 

http://snotapwi.com/matt-lafleur-fires-a-warning-shot-to-mike-pettine-his-defense/

Lol.  LaFleur says he knew exactly what the Vikings were calling.  Shots fired.

Hopefully this means a beat down against the Niners results in a firing.

Best case scenario is the Packers defense gives up 42 points, Packers offense scores 43, LaFleur fires Pettine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

What's wrong with Budda Baker? Didn't he go to the Pro Bowl last year?

Anyway, I think Savage is clearly in a sophomore slump. He's just not making some of the splash plays he was last year. 

Baker, DeAndre.  I only looked at guys close to where Savage was taken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Baker, DeAndre.  I only looked at guys close to where Savage was taken.

I forgot he was in that draft.....kinda funny how one forgets someone when they commit a serious crime and fall off the map 😅

• Like 1

Just now, Joe said:

I forgot he was in that draft.....kinda funny how one forgets someone when they commit a serious crime and fall off the map 😅

No doubt!

I didn't want to hurt myself and do revisionist history about that trade and see what could have been.  

• Like 1

Know whats going to happen, Petine is going to coach just good enough for the rest of the season to keep his job, watch, I guarantee it.

At this point, I wonder how much confidence the defense has in Petine especially with the 49ers on Thursday, a team that has crushed them the past 2 meetings. I think a firing of Petine and some kind of trade to bring in a defensive players could do wonders for the defense's morale because right now, I'd assume they have no confidence in petine or themselves.

Edited by dwaye50327

5 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Know whats going to happen, Petine is going to coach just good enough for the rest of the season to keep his job, watch, I guarantee it.

At this point, I wonder how much confidence the defense has in Petine especially with the 49ers on Thursday, a team that has crushed them the past 2 meetings. I think a firing of Petine and some kind of trade to bring in a defensive players could do wonders for the defense's morale because right now, I'd assume they have no confidence in petine or themselves.

In the vein of coaching personnel, the biggest thing working against us is a VERY soft local media.  I live in the Philly metro now and Doug Pederson has been raked over the coals for far less. I don't think Pettine is Mike Nolan, but if Pettine was the Dallas DC he'd be getting almost the exact same treatment Nolan is currently receiving. 

I think we can agree that Pettine's coming very close to being completely washed up, just like Dom was in 2011...

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

the biggest thing working against us is a VERY soft local media.

this has almost no impact on what happens in any decision around coaches/owners/GMs.

It's not working against us at all.

The main thing working against us is Mike Pettine.