Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

At this point, Pettine needs to go regardless of who's to blame. He's the captain and the first one through the wall always gets bloody. 

But, if we look across the board, our personnel is WAY underperforming this year and it's scary, not just this year, but for the future:

Z Smith - still having good year but off his pace from last year in terms of his overall play, which was spectacular so that's okay.

P Smith - being outplayed by Fackrell pretty much every week. He's not even Nick Perry right now. Enough said.

Gary - had a good start, but has tapered off. Still playing like a mid-round pick, not the 12th overall player. By comparison, Burns is twice the player Gary is right now.

Clark - let's talk about him for a sec. What's going on here? I know the groin injury took him out for a while but since he's been back, he's had very little impact. Bradbury handled him today. He's a guy who was unblockable down the stretch last season (5-6 sacks) and I'm not sure he has a QB hit so far this year... maybe a few. Clark is certainly underperforming. 

Alexander - literally the only player on defense who is playing better this year versus last year. 

King - production from last year (ints/pbus) not there plus he's hurt again. 

Savage - serious question...is he even good? I literally have not seen the guy make a difference-making play in weeks, if at all this season. Personally, I think he's regressed this season and certainly doesn't look like a 1st round pick. 

Amos - pretty close to the same player as last year, steady but never spectacular. He's okay but probably not worth his contract right now. 

ILBs - both rookies, they're fine. 

I think the biggest disappointments are:

-Clark-likely/hopefully just the injury not being right

-Preston- Not worth his contract, literally playing as bad as Gary

-Gary- anyone who followed the draft saw this coming. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. I get they wanted a big olb that could play all 3 downs over a pure pass rusher , but you sometimes you need to just take good players and make them work 

Other thoughts:

-King- we miss him but I don’t want to pay him. I feel like he’s the Nick Perry of corners. Too hurt too often. Let him walk and draft a guy

-Savage- in his defense he’s only played 1 game in a month. Didn’t here his name so that is technically good for a S but the counter is if you’re not going to use your safeties, why burn a 1 in them

I wasn't able to watch this game live because every stupid bar in Pittsburgh was full to the gills with Steelers/Ravens but I just got done watching this.

Normally I say wait for the All 22. Or say that it's not the coaches, it's the players. That wasn't the case here. This was without question the worst coached game of defensive football I have ever watched the Packers play. 

Fire this man. It is the same exact bull**** that kills us over and over again. Our inability to adjust to the 1 WR sets is the most confusing thing I have ever seen. Our insistence on keeping Amos and Savage out of the box is debilitating. Our predictability is basically DII college level. And it is so easily manipulatable.

The Vikings could have matched up Thielen on Savage every play if they wanted to. 

The Vikings could have gotten 6 yards per pass on nothing but bubble screens on 75% of the snaps. 

Our pass rush, even out of the pressure packages, is totally dead. 

This is the God damn NFL. You can't show your coverage on every play. And to think you can is just beyond arrogant. To think you can sit back and the other team will eventually make a mistake is proving to be false when you put no pressure on them to make that mistake. 

A new coach doesn't even need to come in here and introduce a new book. We've got adequate coverage looks and players. We just need to play them more.

This was a worse coached game than the 49ers playoff game. This loss included many of those same elements, but by a less impressive offensive roster and coaching mind. At least we occasionally got off the field against the 49ers. 

Maybe I'm overreacting to one week, but this was awful. Just plain awful.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

To think you can sit back and the other team will eventually make a mistake is proving to be false when you put no pressure on them to make that mistake. 

This here is spot on. The goal is to play sound football and not give up the big play. Well we haven't got anything for turnovers and defensive isn't playing sound defensive. I want to have an attacking defense. Create turnovers. 

I hope Pettine adjusts.

As I've been saying. This is an institutional problem. We are soft af. We don't rally to the ball and we're probably the worst tackling defense in the league despite having more talent than a lot of teams. Adding one defensive lineman in a trade isn't going to change or fix these issues. We need a systematic change. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

As I've been saying. This is an institutional problem. We are soft af. We don't rally to the ball and we're probably the worst tackling defense in the league despite having more talent than a lot of teams. Adding one defensive lineman in a trade isn't going to change or fix these issues. We need a systematic change. 

When RBs are breaking into the 3rd level, missed tackles are created. It has nothing to do with being soft. That's just a cliche word to describe a bad defense. This defense isn't soft, it's at a disadvantage from the snap based on alignment and predictably. 

I'm really sick of having this much talent on defense just for none of it to matter in actual game situations. You have a probowl CB 1, a solid slot CB, and when King is healthy an average #2 yet we run 3 or 4 man rushes like we are scared our back end cannot hold up? Its one thing if your the Colts or Steelers who can get consistent pressure with 4 but the Packers cannot and Pettine refuses to rush more unless we are bringing a safety from a mile away. Get rid of this clown and get someone who has flexibility to his scheme to use the talent provided. 

This D line outside of Clark may be poor but your not telling me we can't get better use out of the players we have. Promising rookie ILBs, solid safeties, 1 star pass rusher and two decent pieces, and 1 blue chip D linemen in the interior, and IMO one of the better CB trios in Alexander, King, and Sullivan we cannot play consistent defense with that? I don't know if i'm overrating our talent or not but I believe the Packers are underperforming tremendously on D.  

We have plenty of defensive talent. I mean, five first round picks (including King in that group fwiw) and three high cost free agents? How much more talent does Pettine need? DL is a one man show, obviously, but the talent excuse doesn't hold water. It's more than obvious that Pettine's the problem.