Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Yah know, it's fun coming on here and laughing at the clip regarding Mims and CGJ.

But for realsies, I'd love to see our defense actually get into a fight on the field.  Like not a stupid one regarding punching a helmet, but a good old brawl and dogpile.  Something to show that they have an attitude.  Like I've almost expected it to come from Jaire at some point.  He's good.  He will talk.  He's got swag.  I'm just waiting for someone to stand up and say enough is enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah know, it's fun coming on here and laughing at the clip regarding Mims and CGJ.

But for realsies, I'd love to see our defense actually get into a fight on the field.  Like not a stupid one regarding punching a helmet, but a good old brawl and dogpile.  Something to show that they have an attitude.  Like I've almost expected it to come from Jaire at some point.  He's good.  He will talk.  He's got swag.  I'm just waiting for someone to stand up and say enough is enough.

I don't know about that. To me all it shows is that you are frustrated because you are not winning on-field battles and need to goon it up. Swarm to the ball carrier, make good hard tackles. 

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

They only bring good ole boys to Green Bay.

I think that can go both ways though, are they fighting out of frustration or are they fighting because they have that fire and want to get better. Seems like last year Z would have been that leader to lite a fire but this year I don't know.

14 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I don't know about that. To me all it shows is that you are frustrated because you are not winning on-field battles and need to goon it up. Swarm to the ball carrier, make good hard tackles. 

I get it.

But I don't see us swarm either.  Sooner or later someone needs to change the tone on the field.  

We catch on defense, we do not deliver.  And when I say we "catch" I do not mean INT's or tipped balls.  We don't get any of those.  We don't hustle after plays too much either.  We tend to jog after a play.

I remember this last game, maybe early 4'th quarter, Cook gashed us up the cut, got past the second level and then put on the brakes and went backwards a few steps before he lost his balance, and before safeties got to him.  There should have been someone beating hell from behind to absolutely drill him when he came to a dead stop and took steps backwards.  But no, no one was doing that.  Preston was getting in a good lite jog to get over there and that was about it.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get it.

But I don't see us swarm either.  Sooner or later someone needs to change the tone on the field.  

We catch on defense, we do not deliver.  And when I say we "catch" I do not mean INT's or tipped balls.  We don't get any of those.  We don't hustle after plays too much either.  We tend to jog after a play.

I remember this last game, maybe early 4'th quarter, Cook gashed us up the cut, got past the second level and then put on the brakes and went backwards a few steps before he lost his balance, and before safeties got to him.  There should have been someone beating hell from behind to absolutely drill him when he came to a dead stop and took steps backwards.  But no, no one was doing that.  Preston was getting in a good lite jog to get over there and that was about it.

I think one thing both of us can agree on is that we need to see more emotion and 'heart' from the players. I am just not sure doing anything after the whistle really helps. It actually worries me to be honest. I can see the likes of Z or Jaire get frustrated and do something rash because they care. Unfortunately, if they get thrown out of the game and/or suspended, it will make things even worse for us. I feel like the D is just going through the motions on the field. They don't seem to be having fun and I really do not know how much of it has to do with Pettine basically losing the locker room.

Most of us will agree that we are not a team swarming with talent. Specially on the D side of things. We need to play team football to really have good results. I just don't know if we do that under Pettine.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Honestly man, you don't need the All-22 for the first half. Every failure is on display without it. 

I'm four plays into the game and I'm thinking I'm going to need to double the amount of edibles I'm on to even have a chance at getting through the first half.  It's so much worse than I imagined!  Also, your point is actually understated if anything: the failures are even more evident because of the TV copy.  Every single play so far you can barely see a single DB in frame, against 9-10 man fronts.  God no wonder the defense looked so lifeless by the second half, Pettine left his front seven out there to die.

Meme poo-posting aside, this game absolutely has to be a fireable offense right?  This is unconscionably bad defensive strategy.  THEY PLAYED PASS, ON THIRD AND ONE, WITH A LIGHT BOX, AGAINST A 9 MAN FRONT.  

Hey tell me if you can guess what's wrong with this picture?

1iPMP83.png

If so you too might be a better defensive coordinator than Mike Pettine.

• Like 1

I'm on board with a defensive coaching change.

After re-watching the highlights a few times. 

From my point of view,  Preston Smith is a huge a problem, he was getting totally destroyed in the run game. Don't know if its scheme or him just not having it. 

Excited for AGs cut ups..

Edited by tredpack

28 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Meme poo-posting aside, this game absolutely has to be a fireable offense right?  This is unconscionably bad defensive strategy.  THEY PLAYED PASS, ON THIRD AND ONE, WITH A LIGHT BOX, AGAINST A 9 MAN FRONT.  

1iPMP83.png

Im 90% certain this play doesnt matter in pettines mind. Its a high chance for failure anyways so if you play tight youre more probable to get burned. The ones i REALLY have an issue with are the 3rd and 5+ where hes still behind the line to gain. Easy drags to get the first. Its like that's what were waiting for. 3rd and long so probability is on our side. We have to force mistakes we cant just rely on them commiting mistakes.

35 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

1iPMP83.png

Light box? Played the pass? We're in our 3-4 base. We literally have a 5 man front. The only argument you could have is the safety could be in the box. 

Just now, Kenrik said:

Light box? Played the pass? We're in our 3-4 base. We literally have a 5 man front. The only argument you could have is the safety could be in the box. 

Might help if the other safety was actually in the frame and the safety in the frame wasn't backpedaling as soon as the ball was snapped. 

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Might help if the other safety was actually in the frame and the safety in the frame wasn't backpedaling as soon as the ball was snapped. 

Sure would but that doesnt make this a light box.