Alcohol Thread!

Glen

On 3/19/2022 at 4:03 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Finally got my hands on some Japanese whiskey. I went cheaper bc I didn't want to waste big dollar on an unknown. Got Suntory Toki and I must say, I enjoyed it. Solid flavor for a cheap bottle. Might try more of their stuff in the future

Welcome to the club! Suntory is ok. Hibiki is my go-to and will have you hooked

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TJM217 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I will look for that when I'm by this fancier liquor store again. I live in a small town so options here are limited and I haven't seen any here.... but I was able to buy some Absinthe a couple months ago which I find strange lol

• Like 1

Any Irish whiskey lovers need to make a pilgrimage to O'Shaughnessy in Minneapolis. 

A rich Irish family from St. Paul decided they wanted to bring Irish whiskey to the US, and pretty much gave Brian Nation a blank check to build his dream distillery. Before coming to MN, he was the head distiller for the Irish Distillers group, which is the largest distiller of Irish whiskey (they make Jameson, Redbreast, Powers, Midleton, and Green Spot).

The facility is absolutely magnificent, and they hired one of the best mixologists in MN to run the cocktail room. If you see Keeper's Heart (currently in 10 states), pick up a bottle. Fantastic. They expect within a year they will be in all 48 continental states (only limiting factor is current availability of glass bottles).

Their big thing is using the traditional pot still techniques from Irish whiskey, but then using the blending and barreling methods of American whiskey to create the first ever "Irish-American" whiskey.

I had never had a pot still whiskey before, and the difference between a pot still and a column still (used in all American whiskey) is shocking. So much less nasal/throat burn, and a much thicker mouth feel. The viscosity difference is pretty shocking. 

They are also currently working on triple pot distilled rye and bourbon recipe, which has never been done before... only Ireland uses pot stills, and Irish whiskey is always barley based. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 2:00 AM, TJM217 said:

Hibiki is magic in a bottle. I love that stuff, but it’s getting harder and harder to find a bottle…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So you're saying how that I've got the bug, finding the good stuff will be a challenge?...... I accept!!

Specific to anything out of Suntory - Toki is readily available, but their other offerings (Hibiki Harmony, the Hakushu, the Yamazaki) are getting so hard to find, because they’ve more or less discontinued these types and/or saved them for limited editions (read: INCREDIBLY expensive).

There used to be a time when you can go to a liquor store and buy a bottle of the Yamazaki for $70-80. Now, I can’t even find a store that has it, and specialty order sites (like Frootbat) are charging close to $150 + shipping to get it.

(Edit: $200, not even $150 right now).

TL;DR - Good luck, expect to pay a premium for the product and don’t pass on a bottle because you think you can find it cheaper anywhere else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Specific to anything out of Suntory - Toki is readily available, but their other offerings (Hibiki Harmony, the Hakushu, the Yamazaki) are getting so hard to find, because they’ve more or less discontinued these types and/or saved them for limited editions (read: INCREDIBLY expensive).

There used to be a time when you can go to a liquor store and buy a bottle of the Yamazaki for $70-80. Now, I can’t even find a store that has it, and specialty order sites (like Frootbat) are charging close to $150 + shipping to get it.

(Edit: $200, not even $150 right now).

TL;DR - Good luck, expect to pay a premium for the product and don’t pass on a bottle because you think you can find it cheaper anywhere else. 

OK I might rescind my challenge accepted if that's the price I'm going to pay lol. I tend to not want to spend 3 figures on a bottle of booze. I'm not that experienced where I can tell the subtle differences from one to the other so I'm not one to spend a lot. I can w/ specific brands like Johnny Walker (the difference between red and black is substantially noticeable - have yet to crack open my first bottle of green which was a gift), and stuff like regular Jack vs Single Barrell but my pallet isn't trained enough just yet. I'll still look for it though and if I'm feeling frisky.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

OK I might rescind my challenge accepted if that's the price I'm going to pay lol. 

There’s currently a bottle of Yamazaki 55 Year - very limited edition, maybe 200 bottles in the world.

Current asking price is north of $1.2mm (plus tax, which is a little under $95,000):

https://www.frootbat.com/product/4824813/Suntory-Yamazaki-55-Year-Old-Single-Malt-Whisky-700ml-Bottle/Texas

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There’s currently a bottle of Yamazaki 55 Year - very limited edition, maybe 200 bottles in the world.

Current asking price is north of $1.2mm (plus tax, which is a little under $95,000):

https://www.frootbat.com/product/4824813/Suntory-Yamazaki-55-Year-Old-Single-Malt-Whisky-700ml-Bottle/Texas

................. I didn't know bottles got that expensive....... wow

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 10:20 PM, Sugashane said:

El Jimador is a damn good tequila for a cheap price. Demolished the silver tonight, I'll get back to you over the gold. 

I disagree.  

I says, as a i sip an Fandango Mezcal magarita.

El Jimador here at least, seems way overpriced for what it is.  It tastes like it's in the same tier as Cuervo and Sauza stuff, but costs at least as much or more.

The couple extra bucks for something like Cazadores is so much worth it.  Even if you have to shop around and figure out which store sells it cheaper.  Heck, half the time i get Cazadores for like $5 less per bottle than something like El Jimador.  Just have to catch the right sales and stock up.  Not like it's going bad before i drink it.

Honestly, i'd rather just obtain a very large jug of Tequila from the Kirkland brand via Costco, before i'd buy a bunch of El Jimador at the prices it sells here.  Idk, maybe you got a better or different version, or i got a bad batch.  Or prices are just totally different there, which is entirely plausible.

Meanwhile...

Fandango Mezcal sounds terrible.  But y'know...it's not bad.  Very different character, but i'll take it over cheap tequila.  I wish i hadn't learned some of their troubling business practices...but honestly...they're all in the same boat, outside the pricey boutique distilleries i can't afford.

Real good, fully authentic Mezcal is so neat though.  I still prefer Tequila.  But it's such a nice twist on a few different things i like all at once, it's hard to resist.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Honestly, i'd rather just obtain a very large jug of Tequila from the Kirkland brand via Costco, before i'd buy a bunch of El Jimador at the prices it sells here.  Idk, maybe you got a better or different version, or i got a bad batch.  Or prices are just totally different there, which is entirely plausible.

Idk. I am on my second bottle and each has cost me a bit under $20. Haven't tried the gold yet either, that might be the one that sucks. 

Just grabbed some Bruichladdich Port Charlotte for the first time.  Mind is blown.  I've stuck to Ardbeg and laphroaig and a few other Islays before but think I may have found my favorite Islay Scotch now, at least at a price I'm willing to pay.

Edited by TankWilliams

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 2:00 PM, Dome said:

No such thing. Buffalo Trace is one of my favorites. 

finally got around to trying after seeing in this thread many moons ago, me and some mates went to the movies and got absolutely cooked on the stuff it is very good!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...