Alcohol Thread!

Glen

My favorite whiskey is Willett rye, if you like rye and can find it do not leave the store without it.  It is all small batch so it wont be the same if you pick up a different batch set but I have not had a single bottle of it that was not great.  When my local place gets a new round in I typically pick up a bottle and right now I have 4 bottles I am working on, my favorite one has notes of green apple, it might sound kinda strange but with the rye its awesome.  When they are in stock its 50$ which is more than when I started buying them at 30$ but still a great price for what it is.

After that for Scotch I once got a bottle of Laphroaig 15 (I think it was the 15), when I first opened it I regretted the buy.  It turned into my ride out the whiskey buzz scotch and when that bottle went under half full... I had to move it up a couple shelves and ration it.  I am now very much a Laphroaig fan and it is my go to scotch.  Although I dont drink a lot of scotchs I do have experience with Obey, Macallan, and others so I am not going to tell you that I am the best judge of scotch but that Laphroaig is great to me.  If anyone wants to try it just be warned that it can be goofy tasting at first, I never expected to be turned on to it but I have been.

and Gin is great as long as it is not beef eaters.  that tastes like sewer water with the turd filtered out.

I am also gonna to look for your Japanese whiskey when I get my feet back on land ET. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, burlow said:

My favorite whiskey is Willett rye, if you like rye and can find it do not leave the store without it.  It is all small batch so it wont be the same if you pick up a different batch set but I have not had a single bottle of it that was not great.  When my local place gets a new round in I typically pick up a bottle and right now I have 4 bottles I am working on, my favorite one has notes of green apple, it might sound kinda strange but with the rye its awesome.  When they are in stock its 50$ which is more than when I started buying them at 30$ but still a great price for what it is.

Redemption High Rye Bourbon is one of my favorite mid-range whiskeys. Give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 3:27 AM, ET80 said:

Hibiki is magic in a bottle.

Just picked some up.  Will be developing an opinion of it soon.

On 6/13/2022 at 3:26 PM, Heimdallr said:

Redemption High Rye Bourbon is one of my favorite mid-range whiskeys. Give it a try.

I have been drinking a store select Redemption High Rye, been a good change of pace.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, burlow said:
On 3/30/2022 at 3:27 AM, ET80 said:

Hibiki is magic in a bottle.

Just picked some up.  Will be developing an opinion of it soon.

Eager to hear your thoughts! I need to scavenge and barter for a bottle. I haven't drank in three months, but a glass of Hibiki Harmony would be a nice way to break the seal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Eager to hear your thoughts! I need to scavenge and barter for a bottle. I haven't drank in three months, but a glass of Hibiki Harmony would be a nice way to break the seal.

Any particular reason for the hiatus? :) 

I occasionally do as well so just curious 

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Need to spend a little more time away from the rig and on shore to get a good profile on it.  I do like it, I did not know what to expect going in but a very pleasant peat, a little sweeter than I would typically like but this is very well balanced.  Kinda feels weird for saying it like this but it also has a note that the best way I could describe is that it tastes like chocolate feels but it does not taste like chocolate.  

This will certainly be one that I will enjoy more the more I go back to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burlow said:

Need to spend a little more time away from the rig and on shore to get a good profile on it.  I do like it, I did not know what to expect going in but a very pleasant peat, a little sweeter than I would typically like but this is very well balanced.  Kinda feels weird for saying it like this but it also has a note that the best way I could describe is that it tastes like chocolate feels but it does not taste like chocolate.  

This will certainly be one that I will enjoy more the more I go back to it.

I'll add that if you're using a ice sphere or a big ice cube - let the ice melt a bit, so the cold water cuts it a bit. It helps opening up the flavors you're noticing.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Any particular reason for the hiatus? :) 

I occasionally do as well so just curious 

My wife and I have been working with a dietician/trainer for overall fitness and weight loss, and the edict is that I can't have any alcohol until I reach my target weight (180, I'm about 8 lbs away).

I actually have a special bottle saved for my first drink:

glenmorangie-signet-whisky.jpg?ss=2.0

I'll probably get my first sip in next weekend. I sincerely can't wait!

Edit: @MWil23 I forgot you and I were sharing notes on the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben! I'll report back on what Signet is like - everything I've read says this stuff is pinnacle Glenmorangie.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'll add that if you're using a ice sphere or a big ice cube - let the ice melt a bit, so the cold water cuts it a bit. It helps opening up the flavors you're noticing.

My wife and I have been working with a dietician/trainer for overall fitness and weight loss, and the edict is that I can't have any alcohol until I reach my target weight (180, I'm about 8 lbs away).

I actually have a special bottle saved for my first drink:

glenmorangie-signet-whisky.jpg?ss=2.0

I'll probably get my first sip in next weekend. I sincerely can't wait!

Edit: @MWil23 I forgot you and I were sharing notes on the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben! I'll report back on what Signet is like - everything I've read says this stuff is pinnacle Glenmorangie.

Good stuff man, congratulations I know you’ve been working hard on that! Yes let me know what you think. 

• Like 1

How am I just discovering this corner of FF? 

I have been wanting to figure out how to make a good Manhattan for years and just discovered a couple YouTuber's that do a great job at outlining things. I had my first success with an Old Fashioned last night. 

Looking forward to catch up on this thread. 

• Like 1

I'm about to do some European traveling. Not my first time, but I'm looking to try new things.

Any beverages that anyone recommends that is either hard to find or impossible to get in the US (but legal)? I'm open to all suggestions and I'm not overly concerned with price if it's worth it.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm about to do some European traveling. Not my first time, but I'm looking to try new things.

Any beverages that anyone recommends that is either hard to find or impossible to get in the US (but legal)? I'm open to all suggestions and I'm not overly concerned with price if it's worth it.

Where in Europe?

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

If you’re in Italy and don’t drink local wine, probably don’t return without an apology. Guinness in Ireland on tap I hear is legendary. Local German tap brews I’d imagine are great.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If you’re in Italy and don’t drink local wine, probably don’t return without an apology. Guinness in Ireland on tap I hear is legendary. Local German tap brews I’d imagine are great.

Last time I went to a wine bar in Italy was in Catania in Sicily. I was with 4 other guys and our bill was around a grand. Worth it. I may make Italy again, but definitely not that far south.

I HATE Guinness. Hate it. But I do like it in Ireland strangely enough. Same with Heineken. It's definitely different and I don't think it's just placebo.

German beer is good. Always fun to buy by the liter. I prefer a good hefe myself, but I tend to try whatever is local.

My goal right now is to hit up Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, and maybe Austria. But like I said in another response, I have no set plans.