Alcohol Thread!

Glen

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, all of that stuff is pretty standard - any liquor store worth its salt should have these spirits in their scotch aisle. Their standard stuff can run from $60 to about $85; Hibiki Harmony runs about $100, so that's a bit pricey.

The Japanese stuff I listed is all Japanese whiskey - so it's going to have a similar flavor profile to any other scotch you've had, some peat and smoke, hints of vanilla on the scent, etc.

This is a good article on the recent wave of Japanese whiskey, along with a good list of what to look for:

https://advancedmixology.com/blogs/art-of-mixology/best-japanese-whisky

I'll say this - Japanese stuff can  be difficult to find. I've been looking for a bottle of Hibiki Harmony for about a month, nobody has it in stock. I've found places that can ship it, but the shipping fees can add 50-60% to the price, so don't really want to pay that either.

This is great info. Thanks!! I'm always up for trying new stuff and Japanese whiskeys really have never been on my radar so I think this is the route I'm going to go. 

Took a screenshot of your earlier comment and will use it as a shopping list next time I'm in a decent sized store. My small town stores probably won't have it but I'll check

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Thanks!! I'm always up for trying new stuff and Japanese whiskeys really have never been on my radar so I think this is the route I'm going to go. 

I actually need to thank you - after I posted, I felt like doing a quick search on Hibiki Harmony in my area and found out about an app call Drizly, a order/delivery service (think Uber Eats). 

I found a bottle, put in the order - it was delivered about an hour ago, so I'm going to enjoy few glasses tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:
3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Thanks!! I'm always up for trying new stuff and Japanese whiskeys really have never been on my radar so I think this is the route I'm going to go. 

I actually need to thank you -

wow! what a magical christmas season!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I actually need to thank you - after I posted, I felt like doing a quick search on Hibiki Harmony in my area and found out about an app call Drizly, a order/delivery service (think Uber Eats). 

I found a bottle, put in the order - it was delivered about an hour ago, so I'm going to enjoy few glasses tonight.

Lol nice!! Yeah, Drizly isn't in my area but during covid, I did use it to deliver gifts to my buddies all around the country. 

Enjoy! I'm looking forward to finding some of these and trying them out

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, ET80 said:

I haven’t looked into Drizly but I think it’s funny I can go on grubhub or DoorDash and order alcohol to be delivered from liquor stores or Meijer by me. I have a friend in Cali that has the same hookup almost but for marijuana.  What a strange world we live in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I haven’t looked into Drizly but I think it’s funny I can go on grubhub or DoorDash and order alcohol to be delivered from liquor stores or Meijer by me. I have a friend in Cali that has the same hookup almost but for marijuana.  What a strange world we live in. 

Wait, they can deliver pot?? Holy ****, Half Baked was WAY ahead of their time.

Alright, you guys know that I don't care for any type of bourbon, whisk(e)y or scotch. That being said, I want to give it one last shot to see if there's any way I'd ever come around on them before I write 'em off forever. I'm mainly talking scotch since, well, there's more variance to it than bourbon/whisk(e)y. 

My buddy recommended Highland Park 12 or Grangestone 12. Again, I don't really think I'm going to actually like it but I wanna try once more.

Last time I tried a scotch, it was Glenlivet 12 and I immediately gave the bottle to my friend after one drink. Just don't know if I have the palette for it.

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Alright, you guys know that I don't care for any type of bourbon, whisk(e)y or scotch. That being said, I want to give it one last shot to see if there's any way I'd ever come around on them before I write 'em off forever. I'm mainly talking scotch since, well, there's more variance to it than bourbon/whisk(e)y. 

My buddy recommended Highland Park 12 or Grangestone 12. Again, I don't really think I'm going to actually like it but I wanna try once more.

Last time I tried a scotch, it was Glenlivet 12 and I immediately gave the bottle to my friend after one drink. Just don't know if I have the palette for it.

If you don't like whiskey to begin with, scotch is going to be a really, really tough sell. A lot of people that love bourbon/rye can't stomach scotch because of the peat flavor.

I would recommend Canadian (or Irish) whiskeys as "starters". Scotch, bourbon, and rye all have distinct and strong flavors, while Canadian (typically blended) whiskeys are typically "milder" and have more neutral flavors because they aren't trying to pronounce a specific flavor.

Something like Crown Royal or Jamison would be good entry level whiskeys. 

• 2 months later...

I’ve actually been drinking the following:

gmgob.non51.jpg

Smoothest single malt I’ve ever had, reasonably priced around $60. I’ve been sampling stuff made by Glenmorangie, this and their Quinta Ruben are phenomenal.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’ve actually been drinking the following:

gmgob.non51.jpg

Smoothest single malt I’ve ever had, reasonably priced around $60. I’ve been sampling stuff made by Glenmorangie, this and their Quinta Ruben are phenomenal.

The Quinta Ruben is my favorite. Sweet on the nose and fire on the finish

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sugashane said:

El Jimador is a damn good tequila for a cheap price. Demolished the silver tonight, I'll get back to you over the gold. 

I like Espolon for a fairly inexpensive tequila but I agree Jimador is solid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The Quinta Ruben is my favorite. Sweet on the nose and fire on the finish

Incredibly smooth, too! Just a nice, easy sipping single malt. Glenmorangie has a few other bottles, I’m going to have to try each one now.

• Like 1