GDT 9/13/20 Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 Cleveland Browns

DreamKid

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. Your DL was pretty ferocious. Will be interesting to see how they look moving forward, especially once you can get a capable secondary behind them.

To me the biggest letdown was having 7 all pros on offense and scoring 6 points if I was the coach they would be spending a very long week.

These guys are pros they should have showed better

Edited by mtmmike
omittion

Quick notes:

• OL looked good today, and Tyre Phillips filled in and didn't make RG look like it was going from a GOAT to a rookie at all.
  • Lamar's improved passing was on full display today. I just wish he wouldn't take so many hits. He did a great job at avoiding them last year, but today there was at least 3-5 plays where he took unnecessary shots at the end of runs.
  • JK Dobbins has noticeable explosiveness that Ingram clearly does not have.
  • Mark Andrews can't be covered, or stopped, or even contained.
  • Our pass rush sucks.
  • Patrick Queen is going to be really good if today is any indication.
  • Secondary came as-billed.
  • Like 1

The Browns are who I thought they were, but I'm glad because a win is a win is a win.

Takeaways

• Run defense was atrocious
  • offensive line wasn't great in my opinion either
  • LJ8 and Mandrews dragged their planters nuts
  • HumpreyDumpty got his mans today
  • Team was opportunistic like DB stated and that was cool

Decent win holding the Browns to 6 and scoring 38. Hope we can take this momentum and build on it down there in Houston.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

OL looked good today, and Tyre Phillips filled in and didn't make RG look like it was going from a GOAT to a rookie at all.

I can agree with everything else, but they got almost no push in the run game. The pass blocking was solid, but nothing particularly special either as their were enough occasions where Lamar tried stepping into the pocket and he couldn’t because the interior was getting pushed back. I can’t name a single OL player who had a great game or even a good game. Most were mediocre to bad IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I can agree with everything else, but they got almost no push in the run game. The pass blocking was solid, but nothing particularly special either as their were enough occasions where Lamar tried stepping into the pocket and he couldn’t because the interior was getting pushed back. I can’t name a single OL player who had a great game or even a good game. Most were mediocre to bad IMO.

Yep. "Pass blocking" for Lamar is easy mode NFL play with how he naturally rolls out and avoids pressure to the point where defenders are all about containing him, and he still had a lot of pressure. There was no great O-line play on our side. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Yep. "Pass blocking" for Lamar is easy mode NFL play with how he naturally rolls out and avoids pressure to the point where defenders are all about containing him, and he still had a lot of pressure. There was no great O-line play on our side. 

Exactly. If they continue to play like that, @Danand will finally get his wish, I might be down for a 1st round IOL in this draft.

But hey, I’m probably lying, I’d probably still be more in line for a pass rusher.

But I’m probably lying again. In this draft class upcoming I’m more likely to trust a great IOL to carry over than a pass rusher... especially if we’re picking late.

7 hours ago, mtmmike said:

To me the biggest letdown was having 7 all pros on offense and scoring 6 points if I was the coach they would be spending a very long week.

These guys are pros they should have showed better

Hi there

We can be pretty tough on some of you guys, but when fans come in and say "hi, good game", we are usually pretty level headed.

I don't think you want to read all the pages on our gameday thread, but we especially noticed Larry Ogunjobi being a force. Nick Chubb has as many fans in this fan forum as he does in yours and we recognize the talent on the Browns - it has to fit together somehow though, that seems to be the struggle you guys have to live with this year. It can still be special if it comes together.

That OBJ character you guys have, I don't know if it is just horrible body language, but I don't think he does anything good for your team. I don't know if Browns fans feel the same, but I would not like it as a fan.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Exactly. If they continue to play like that, @Danand will finally get his wish, I might be down for a 1st round IOL in this draft.

But hey, I’m probably lying, I’d probably still be more in line for a pass rusher.

But I’m probably lying again. In this draft class upcoming I’m more likely to trust a great IOL to carry over than a pass rusher... especially if we’re picking late.

It will for certain be something to watch, because I did not feel like we got the same push and wall offs in the running game. I don't think we ever got into the groove/rythm with our runningbacks, and the 100 yards team rushing must be due to Lamar.

It takes time to gel, there are some good players on that dline for the Browns, Skura coming off major injury and has to get comfortable playing on the leg, Phillips is a rookie, no pre season etc etc.

My "fear" is that we end up with 3 average but good enough players on the interior oline and thus not being able to generate that push that has allowed us to rely so heavily on the run game when we needed to.

We still have Bredeson (rookie), Phillips (rookie), Powers (2 year) Mekari (2 year) Bozeman (3 year ) and Skura (5 year) so they all have the ability to improve, but so far it doesn't seem like we have a high end starter among them.

Edit: It still took Yanda 3 years to really break out, so we also have to be patient somehow.

Edited by Danand
  • Like 1