2020: Week 1 - @ Buffalo Bills

Bianconero

14 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

There’s no doubt JD will be heavily scouting the three top QBs. I wouldnt trade up for one of them. But if a QB is there when we pick and JD is excited about that QB, he has to take him.

We can use the Seattle 1st on a WR like Bateman. And our OL seems to be far enough along that likely one additional FA will have that unit good to go. They looked descent today. We’ll also likely be able to add a FA WR.

Have the QBs compete.

I wouldn't mind spending one of the Day 2 picks on an interior lineman. The second rounder should be able to get you an instant starter at guard/center. Add that to and edge and WR in the first and you hopefully have a pretty good young core to go along with Becton, Mims, etc. And if that group isn't enough to carry you next year, then you should be left with the chips necessary to grab a top QB in 2022 and have him enter a pretty good situation. 

As bad as Sam was let's pump the brakes.  Kid was playing against arguably the best defense in football with garbage.  Outside of his OTs playing solid there really wasn't any group that stepped up.  Guard play was poor and even Crowder dropped a 3rd down pass right in his hands early on.  

As for Allen I still wasn't impressed.  Outside of a few nice runs and a couple of NFL throws his WRs were sliding for passes and he was gifted with mostly easy throws by our lack of a pass rush.

This was a real wake up call even for week 1 that we lack some serious impact players at key positions.  I'm not out on Sam just yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewAge said:

I think we'll have a better answer about Sam 15 games from now, but as it stands, I'm against going QB unless he looks really bad and we're staring at Lawrence/Fields.

I'd build up on the OL, WR, and EDGE and assume that if Sam sucks again next year, then we'd be in great position to draft a QB in the 2022 draft. Part of the issue the Jets and other bad teams have had in the past is that they draft their QB before they build their team. A rookie QB should be walking into a situation where he's on a team ready to support him and win.

1 game isn’t enough. But if he doesn’t significantly improve... the conversation shouldn’t be ruled out.

The OL wasn’t an issue today. Sam was the main issue. WR play was a big issue.

28 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Where was Perriman yesterday , he had three receptions for 17 yards = 5.66 a catch. I wonder how Rob Anderson did yesterdayl ? PLEASE DON'T SHOW THAT TAPE AGAIN ON ANDERSON.

Robby was 3/23 and 3/18 against Buffalo last year. 

Perriman did force a DPI fwiw though it was in garbage time.

• Like 1

it's just more of the same from sam.  year 3 and he's making rookie mistakes - throwing off his back foot, across his body for an INT - not throwing the ball away when running towards the sideline and taking a sack - inaccurate throws to open receivers.  QBs are supposed to be able to lead and elevate the play of the guys around him - sam just doesn't do it.

OL had zero pre-snap penalties, communication was on point mostly. They did let the Bills collapse the interior more than we'd all like but the EDGE's held up. Addison had a coverage sack and Murphy beat Herndon not Fant on the right side. They have a tough test against the 49ers next week but the Cardinals held up well against them plus they're traveling West to East for an early game. Should be to our advantage slightly.

I imagine that nearly all of us watched the game. And the final score doesn't show the whole story. We played like a team that should've lost 35-0.

Let me touch on the guys who some people thought would have good games...

Bell: was a non factor.

Crowder: a bunch of garbage stats

Herndon: was a non factor and got some small garbage stats late.

Perriman: a non factor

I hate to break it to people... but Mims coming back in a few weeks isn't moving the needle at all the way we looked. And the worst thing is is that SF defense is better than Buffalos. I expect and even worse loss next week. Looking even further down the schedule their might not be a game we are expected to win until we play Miami Week 9 then a bye then Miami again Week 11) and they looked better than us yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yup cant throw it on the OL this game. While the OL I wouldn't call good. They did enough to not be a unit like they were last year. I said several times last year that Darnold might create bad habits playing behind a bad OL. And while he played awful yesterday.. what I saw wasn't really a scared QB. It was just a flat out bad QB. Missing throws, Bad decisions. Not going through progressions, etc. The bad habits I thought he could develop was escaping the pocket too quickly and throwing too much on his back foot (more so than other issues). He was just flat out awful yesterday bc he just looked awful. I truly think if Flacco was healthy we should've benched him yesterday. 

While the OL is important, once again we may have ruined a QBs potential by not surrounding him with weapons.  Yes some of this is on Sam, last two years on the line, some on Gase but man we have also failed to surround him with talent to maximize his potential.  Our best weapon is a slot WR, then we have a TE and WR who are going off of small samples sizes.

Sanchez could have been a solid QB and he was his first 3 years...then we aged/lost talent and never spent draft picks on replenishing and he turned into a joke with no cast.  With Sam it looks like the damage may have been done already.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:52 AM, GangGreen420 said:

Bills 27

Jets 17

Too bad it wasn’t actually as close as it seemed

I don’t know what everyone was expecting. The 10-6 predictions were silly. We don’t have talent at some of the most important positions or really anywhere. We have a bad coaching staff. There’s a long way to go. 

The only real bad/surprising takeaway from yesterday was Darnold’s play. But he’ll always be fighting an uphill battle in this situation. I feel he’s going to fail unfortunately. No young QB is going to overcome the toxicity of the way this team is currently constructed. Baker would be benched by now. Allen would be terrible.