2020: Week 1 - @ Buffalo Bills

Bianconero

There is no sugar coating it, Sam had a bad game. People can nit-pick the play-calling and the talent, but end of the day he wasn't on the mark. 

Glass half-full: the first 25 minutes of play were among the worst of his career, yet only threw 1 truly intercept-able pass. Sam looked skittish in the first quarter despite improved OL but settled in for the rest of the game. He's a much better QB than he showed yesterday, so if this is the worst take the L from one of last year's best defenses and move on. 

Glass half-empty: Sam continues to be a roller-coaster ride. His mechanics are all over the place, and he continues to make the same bone-headed decisions that have plagued the Jets in his first 2 seasons. It doesn't appear that he's ready to elevate the team around him, which could mean we're in for a long season. 

Bell getting hurt early with the hammy and then putting him back in was a bad move. Sam is not stepping up like he should. He had plenty of time to make the throws and was just off. I hope this is due to not having preseason but man he needs to get better or the jets will have Flacco starting soon if he does not pick it up; 

We just need to say the quiet part out loud. Gase is a fraud. 

Yeah Sam was bad, but wasnt Gase supposed to be grooming the kid? The mechanics were bad, the decision making was bad.

Im anti the one week overreaction, but there wasnt anything here to get excited about. You have to wonder why our WRs are still so thin, our QB is still happy feet and our OL is still getting beat. I think everyone will be better, but I'm not sure how much better.

11 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

We just need to say the quiet part out loud. Gase is a fraud. 

Yeah Sam was bad, but wasnt Gase supposed to be grooming the kid? The mechanics were bad, the decision making was bad.

Im anti the one week overreaction, but there wasnt anything here to get excited about. You have to wonder why our WRs are still so thin, our QB is still happy feet and our OL is still getting beat. I think everyone will be better, but I'm not sure how much better.

The Gase hiring was a fail from the moment it was made. Yes it was good he ridded us of Mike M but that will be the highlight of his accomplishments. There is no other fan base that looks at Adam Gase as a good HC.

Sams best stretch of play came 2 years ago before he was even the coach. Sam may not be an NFL caliber QB, but hiring Adam Gase appears to be a death sentence.

lets hope the entire offense can improve

Very bad game by Sam.  I am not ready to cut bait as there are some legit reasons.  We only had 1 returning WR form last year in Crowder.  Herndon was out all last year.  No reps vs other teams.  Should he have been better … I think so.  But he got better as the game went on.  Seeing how he bounces back next week will be telling.

This game serves as yet another example of Gase not being a great HC or even OC at this point.  Loss is not 100% at his feet but the lack of preparation and in game adjustments by his Offense if maddening.  Gase is not responsible for the drops, inaccurate throws or boneheaded INT - but he has to prepare Sam better and coach him up better.   Sam should be hearing Gase's voice in his head to avoid some of these things like the INT (throwing back against the field into a crowd and throwing it away as being chased out of bounds). 

• Like 1

Gase is one of the worst HCs in the league and he proved it again yesterday.  Not only was this team not prepared and didn't show up, he's trying to make Sam a pocket QB while showing how smart he is with playcalling and it gets us NOWHERE.  Sam is athletic and needs to be on the move.  We need to take shots down field.  Gase is a big reason, aside from not surrounding him with talent, as to why Sam is failing.

9 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Very bad game by Sam.  I am not ready to cut bait as there are some legit reasons.  We only had 1 returning WR form last year in Crowder.  Herndon was out all last year.  No reps vs other teams.  Should he have been better … I think so.  But he got better as the game went on.  Seeing how he bounces back next week will be telling.

This game serves as yet another example of Gase not being a great HC or even OC at this point.  Loss is not 100% at his feet but the lack of preparation and in game adjustments by his Offense if maddening.  Gase is not responsible for the drops, inaccurate throws or boneheaded INT - but he has to prepare Sam better and coach him up better.   Sam should be hearing Gase's voice in his head to avoid some of these things like the INT (throwing back against the field into a crowd and throwing it away as being chased out of bounds). 

Yeah.. Jets' first action happened to be against one of top defensive teams in NFL. No preseason game. No two team scrimmage. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

It's super frustrating to watch Sam force passes into tight windows with 6-7 yards of open field ahead of him when he could just take the easy yards and make the next down that much easier.  Instead the pass falls incomplete and we are in 3rd and long all day.  That kills me every time because we get burned all the time but QBs who use their legs wisely.

TBH, I think that's on Gase. He's trying to get him to be Manning and read the field.  Instead of putting him in positions to succeed.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

No excuses but we do need to give these guys a chance to gel. My hope after 4 weeks is 2-2 barring an upset vs SF on Sunday. 

So let's judge Maye and Adams after one game and claim Adams has no effect on the defense and Maye is just as good.  But let's give Gase and Sam and the offense a pass.  Rightttt

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And next week it will be the same excuse bc SF has a great defense too.

Exactly

A good offense competes vs a good defense. Even on bad days. Our offense had one, maybe two plays that made it look like a competent unit. If we're never going to rise to the occasion whats the point of having an offensive head coach?