4.136 - Alaric Jackson T, Iowa 
5.174 - Ventrell Miller LB, Florida 
6.189 - LaBryan Ray IDL, Alabama
7.219 - Rakeem Boyd RB, Arkansas 
7.225 - DJ Daniel CB, Georgia 

Surtain over Farley?

Holland will fall into the 2nd?

1 hour ago, D82 said:

It was a simulator I ran. And yes, I’d take Surtain over Farley.

Surtain played this year and Farley sat out. Idk if that’s as big a deal to everyone else as it is me, but I would prefer our first round pick to have played football recently. Farley does project to be the better ball hawk though. A year ago he did anyway.

6 hours ago, D82 said:

It was a simulator I ran. And yes, I’d take Surtain over Farley.

Hopefully Surtain blows up the combine. Spending a top 5 pick on a CB, he needs to be able to run a 4.4 40 and be quick twitched.

Edited by Tony7188

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Surtain played this year and Farley sat out. Idk if that’s as big a deal to everyone else as it is me, but I would prefer our first round pick to have played football recently. Farley does project to be the better ball hawk though. A year ago he did anyway.

I haven’t gotten a chance to watch either of these guys beyond highlights, yet.

But I’d be lying to say I’m not going in with a bias towards the guy who has been training to be a Pro Bowl cornerback since he could walk.

Farley’s bio screams of a player who would have put more questions than answers on tape if he’d played this year. He didn’t even know he was a cornerback until 2018.

Again, I still need to watch both, but Farley is starting at a deficit in my mind.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TVScout said:

It comes down to system. Farley is better in press man and Surtain is better in zone.

Everything I have read about Surtain leads me to believe he can do pretty much everything. Per Dane Brugler:

“If he was in last year’s draft class, there would have been an interesting debate as to whether he or Jeff Okudah would have been the first cornerback taken. In several ways, Surtain is the prototype at the position with his length, athleticism and instincts. He can play press man, off man or zone and looks comfortable lining up inside and outside. He has room to get stronger and make more plays in the run game, but Surtain has the talent and competitiveness to be special.”

26 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Everything I have read about Surtain leads me to believe he can do pretty much everything. Per Dane Brugler:

“If he was in last year’s draft class, there would have been an interesting debate as to whether he or Jeff Okudah would have been the first cornerback taken. In several ways, Surtain is the prototype at the position with his length, athleticism and instincts. He can play press man, off man or zone and looks comfortable lining up inside and outside. He has room to get stronger and make more plays in the run game, but Surtain has the talent and competitiveness to be special.”

Everything?

"Surtain possesses elite length and a high football IQ, and teams will love the person as much as the player. He projects as a boundary corner who would excel in a more zone-heavy scheme instead of a team that predominantly runs man coverage................" 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/patrick-surtain-ii-nfl-draft-player-profile/

Farley has greater estimated foot speed which gives him the advantage in man:

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1027585&DraftYear=2022

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1022046&DraftYear=2021

1 minute ago, TVScout said:

Everything?

"Surtain possesses elite length and a high football IQ, and teams will love the person as much as the player. He projects as a boundary corner who would excel in a more zone-heavy scheme instead of a team that predominantly runs man coverage................" 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/patrick-surtain-ii-nfl-draft-player-profile/

Farley has greater estimated foot speed which gives him the advantage in man:

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1027585&DraftYear=2022

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1022046&DraftYear=2021

Differences of opinions, I suppose. I don’t know who Matt Valdovinos is, but he certainly hasn’t established himself as an analyst at the level of Dane Brugler yet.

Again, haven’t watch enough of either player yet to say for myself. And I’ll have an open mind. But projected 40 yard dashes from draftscout in November is certainly not a compelling argument to me that he’s better at man coverage than Surtain.

And maybe he is! I’ll just be quite surprised if I watch and discover that Surtain isn’t quite good at it, too.

17 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

It feels like our defense gives up 10 YDS per carry, usually right up the middle,, And we draft a CB???

That would be like your car has a flat and you put in a new battery!!! 

OK not the best metaphor, but you get my point.

There also has to be a position worth the value of the selection. If there aren’t any DTs worth the 4th overall pick, you draft whatever position IS worth that spot. You never, ever, force a pick solely to fill a need. That strategy has been a proven failure for decades.

As many have said for years, you draft the best player available regardless of position.

Edited by plan9misfit

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

There also has to be a position worth the value of the selection. If there aren’t any DTs worth the 4th overall pick, you draft whatever position IS worth that spot. You never, ever, force a pick solely to fill a need. That strategy has been a proven failure for decades.

As many have said for years, you draft the best player available regardless of position.

In an ideal world, need meets opportunity/value at your pick. If it doesn’t, then you create value by trading down with someone who needs what you don’t. If you can’t find a good trade partner, then you take the best player on the board.

Reaching for need high in the draft is just a brutal destruction of value. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

In an ideal world, need meets opportunity/value at your pick. If it doesn’t, then you create value by trading down with someone who needs what you don’t. If you can’t find a good trade partner, then you take the best player on the board.

Reaching for need high in the draft is just a brutal destruction of value. 

100% correct.

23. Joseph Ossai,  EDGE Texas

36. Jevon Holland, S Oregon

46.  Christian Barmore,  DT Alabama

56.  Chazz Surratt,  LB North Carolina

68.  Kyle Trask,  QB Florida

108. Walker Little,  OT Stanford

111. T.J. Carter,  CB Memphis

169. Marco Wilson,  CB Florida

194.  Ben Cleveland,  OG Georgia

I ended up picking up 2022 1st, 2nd, and 4th. 

19 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Hopefully Surtain blows up the combine. Spending a top 5 pick on a CB, he needs to be able to run a 4.4 40 and be quick twitched.

41.5" in the vertical jump and 11'3" in the broad jump. He also impressed in the 40-yard dash with a time of 4.41 seconds, which is plenty fast for a 6'1, 209 player,