2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

I think before you begin targeting posirion and player, you need to get a DC that has a successful track record and a scheme that is effective but not too difficult to learn.

Let's begin with tackling and getting off blocks.

There is talent on this defense:

Lawrence, Gregory, A. Smith, LVE, Diggs, Awuzie, to name a few.

The problem, imo,  is these players are constantly out of position, over pursuing, don't recognize their assignments and worst of all, always on the defensive. You never see them attack an offense.

Get a no nonsense DC who let's his front 7 attack the ball and watch you defensive backfield begin to get turnovers.

There have been plenty of telltale signs to point to this year about the condition of our defense. But the most obvious one was against Baltimore when faced with a 4th and 2 L. Jackson just looked to the sidelines and, without hesitation and total confidence, told his coaches, "We're going for it" by waiving his hands forward as if to say "Really, against these clowns?"

Then he ran 37 yards for a TD untouched. Our guys never had a chance. Out of position, confused, lost and beaten.

Sad.

So, go dig up Buddy Ryan's bones and get us a God Dam×ed DC that knows his job.

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Before it’s said and done, I’m betting Iowa DT, Daviyon Nixon is going to be given a solid 1st rd grade. 

It's certainly sounding like his stock is rising. I wouldn't mind us getting him assuming we've traded back. 

11 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Before it’s said and done, I’m betting Iowa DT, Daviyon Nixon is going to be given a solid 1st rd grade. 

I was intrigued by this name. Reading his profile, I thought there might be a little bit of Fletcher Cox riser potential to him.

But after watching him, a different name comes to mind... Cameron Jordan. He plays on the inside a lot, but he has the look more of high cut, long-limbed DE, even if he is big for the position. I worry about his ability to hold as an every-down DT in the run game, but I have no doubt he can disrupt. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I was intrigued by this name. Reading his profile, I thought there might be a little bit of Fletcher Cox riser potential to him.

But after watching him, a different name comes to mind... Cameron Jordan. He plays on the inside a lot, but he has the look more of high cut, long-limbed DE, even if he is big for the position. I worry about his ability to hold as an every-down DT in the run game, but I have no doubt he can disrupt. 

Stick a big body at NT next to him and let's go.

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Trevor Lawrence looking good tonight in the ACC Championship game. To bad his NFL career is done before it begins going to Jets

He reminds me so much of John Elway. To bad the Cowboys won’t get a chance to draft him. Generational talent!

Edited by cromagnum

2 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Alright... what do we make of Kyle Trask?  Where does he get drafted?  Is he benefiting from no or small crowds?  It’s clear that he’s not nearly as athletic as Fields or Wilson.  But I think he throws the ball better than both.

I think he'll be drafted in the 2nd round and be a high quality backup QB. After tonight though, there's no way Dallas should take Surtain #4 overall in the draft.

It's early but it seems like Parsons is the best defensive player in next year's draft. If Dallas solidifies the #4 pick, taking him and cutting Jaylon has to be an option. 

Edited by Tony7188

5 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I think he'll be drafted in the 2nd round and be a high quality backup QB. After tonight though, there's no way Dallas should take Surtain #4 overall in the draft.

It's early but it seems like Parsons is the best defensive player in next year's draft. If Dallas solidifies the #4 pick, taking him and cutting Jaylon has to be an option. 

Surtain should absolutely be an option at #4. I love Parsons, but don’t know that I see this staff being capable of using him properly...so after being on the bandwagon for him, I don’t want us taking an LB in the 1st. 

Sincerely hoping some of these DTs or edges can elevate their stock come draft day. That, or we trade down. 

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

Surtain should absolutely be an option at #4. I love Parsons, but don’t know that I see this staff being capable of using him properly...so after being on the bandwagon for him, I don’t want us taking an LB in the 1st. 

Sincerely hoping some of these DTs or edges can elevate their stock come draft day. That, or we trade down. 

Hard to elevate stock this late in the game. Workout warriors are just that, workout warriors.  The game tape tells the tale more than anything. 

Now, what will be interesting is to see the workout performances of those who opted out of this season of ball. Lot of good prospects who opted out. 

25 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Hard to elevate stock this late in the game.

It’s definitely not too late for someone to raise their stock. It’s very reasonable to think someone(s) we currently view in the second round will get top-10 consideration.

DeMarcus Ware, Aaron Donald, and Fletcher Cox are a few DL that come to mind who were not considered blue chip prospects at this point in the process.

10 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Alright... what do we make of Kyle Trask?  Where does he get drafted?  Is he benefiting from no or small crowds?  It’s clear that he’s not nearly as athletic as Fields or Wilson.  But I think he throws the ball better than both.

Mid/late 2nd rd. 5th or 6th QB off the board. Lot to like, but I believe the fall off between he and the others is pretty steep. Save for Lance, who I have watched very little on.