College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

As always....there are plenty of directions we can go in for the top half of this draft!

We should be looking at drafting a WR relatively high- Doesn't have to have any attribute other than to get open, and catch the ball consistently

A RT somewhere early to mid rounds- A swing T would be nice, but need to upgrade from Hance

A TE mid to late- I'm ready to let Njoku walk, but this O is built on TE's.  Gimme a guy that can block, and catch

On D

We should be looking at LB high- I want a killer to pair up with JOK

We should be looking at DT mid to high- Would love a starter, but rotational guy is good

We should look at DE mid to late-This is assuming we retain Clowney

• Like 2

At 6-6 I think they keep things as is and use the game returning from the bye week as a pivotal direction point in the rest of the season. If you fall to Baltimore and go to 6–7, Bottom line, you are done, if Mayfield is playing injured, it’s silly at that point to do anything other than put him on the shelf for the rest of the year. If they lose to Baltimore, I think we are staring down the barrel of about a 7-10 or 8-9 record, looking ahead. So, probably the 13-17 draft pick range. An interesting place to be, where desperate teams sometimes make moves up for a specific player. I think we have enough needs that it makes sense at this stage to just sit still in the middle of round 1. There should be a good playmaker available where we pick. And go figure, we create another possible need even next year, with Jack Conklin possibly shredding his knee. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mtmmike said:

How about you what do you think?

My ideal realistic offseason is something like...

Extend

Denzel Ward - probably highest CB extension ever, ideally done now for that reason.

Clowney - 3yrs/$42-45 mil is probably realistic for a DE.

Cut

Jarvis - makes too much and too big an ego to renegotiate down to where he should be ($5mil) to be worth keeping.

Hooper - post June 1st cut, $3.75mil dead cap, $7.5mil savings. He plays like a league-minimum guy.

Conklin - post June 1st cut, $3mil dead cap, $3 mil saved. I think he's done now with the patellar injury.

Free Agents

Michael Gallup WR - 4/$50 mil

Top DT remaining after comp pick period ends, even if it's just a 1yr prove-it.

Draft

I think we're cooked for the playoffs and end up with pick 15 or so.

1.15 - trade up to 1.12 for 1.15, 4.15 - Garrett Wilson. He's my #1 guy I want us to get and think he goes around 10-15. 

2.15 - Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa. He might make it here and would be a nice replacement at RT. If he's gone and Darian Kinnard is still there, sign me up.

3.15 Trayvon Walker DT Georgia - I think this is his floor. If he's gone, this draft looks pretty nice at DT. A guy like Wyatt from Georgia would work as well.

4.1 (from Lions 2021 trade) - Ricky Stromberg C Arkansas - Tretter's replacement/insurance for after 2022, 2023 if he needs another year and Tretter plays well enough to be franchised.

5.15 - Joey Porter Jr. CB - It would just be disrespectful to take Joey Porter's son. Hopefully he can do some dirty hits against the Steelers 🤷‍♂️.

6.15 - Isaiah Pola-Mao S/LB USC - would be a flexible player to add to both our safeties and LBs. The nephew of Troy P., he'd be a nice add to the room, maybe even go great at LB.

6.30 - Best-front-seven-available

7.15 - Best-front-seven-available

UDFA - sign a couple punters to battle for the spot.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

My ideal realistic offseason is something like...

Extend

Denzel Ward - probably highest CB extension ever, ideally done now for that reason.

Clowney - 3yrs/$42-45 mil is probably realistic for a DE.

Cut

Jarvis - makes too much and too big an ego to renegotiate down to where he should be ($5mil) to be worth keeping.

Hooper - post June 1st cut, $3.75mil dead cap, $7.5mil savings. He plays like a league-minimum guy.

Conklin - post June 1st cut, $3mil dead cap, $3 mil saved. I think he's done now with the patellar injury.

Free Agents

Michael Gallup WR - 4/$50 mil

Top DT remaining after comp pick period ends, even if it's just a 1yr prove-it.

Draft

I think we're cooked for the playoffs and end up with pick 15 or so.

1.15 - trade up to 1.12 for 1.15, 4.15 - Garrett Wilson. He's my #1 guy I want us to get and think he goes around 10-15. 

2.15 - Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa. He might make it here and would be a nice replacement at RT. If he's gone and Darian Kinnard is still there, sign me up.

3.15 Trayvon Walker DT Georgia - I think this is his floor. If he's gone, this draft looks pretty nice at DT. A guy like Wyatt from Georgia would work as well.

4.1 (from Lions 2021 trade) - Ricky Stromberg C Arkansas - Tretter's replacement/insurance for after 2022, 2023 if he needs another year and Tretter plays well enough to be franchised.

5.15 - Joey Porter Jr. CB - It would just be disrespectful to take Joey Porter's son. Hopefully he can do some dirty hits against the Steelers 🤷‍♂️.

6.15 - Isaiah Pola-Mao S/LB USC - would be a flexible player to add to both our safeties and LBs. The nephew of Troy P., he'd be a nice add to the room, maybe even go great at LB.

6.30 - Best-front-seven-available

7.15 - Best-front-seven-available

UDFA - sign a couple punters to battle for the spot.

I like this a lot.

Still think we need a TE and LB, but overall this is nice.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like this a lot.

Still think we need a TE and LB, but overall this is nice.

Yeah I still don't know what to do about Njoku. I'll say the unpopular thing that I haven't really been reading: I don't think there is any incentive for Njoku to re-sign with us. He is a former first rounder who has been put in a rotation. He watched a FA TE get tons of money from the Browns. Now he'll likely be offered much less, like 3/$27 mil at most. We aren't going to franchise him and I don't think we're the highest bidder. I think he's gone. Unfortunately, this draft doesn't really look special for TE. 

As far as LB, @lazyTayne wants to believe we can just sign a guy to a mid-tier contract to be pretty good.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

I want a WR in round 1, UNLESS Demarvin Leal is available to us. He’d be a “franchise 3-tech” for us and dominate for 10 years.

He’s not Aaron Donald (nobody is), but he can be a Fletcher Cox, Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons caliber monster inside.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

Interesting to move up for Wilson. He is a great player but I wonder if his slow 40 will have him drop? Someone posted he’s around 4.5 - 4.6 so those guys don’t always get picked that high, though he plays faster than that. 

I only ask because I think Olave, Dotson, and a few others could be had by trading down and collecting picks. 

So my question is Wilson worth giving up extra picks or is there another player plus a 3rd better??

I really think the draft will depend on what Clowney does.  If he resigns the FO can go multiple positions. If he doesn’t then they have to find DE early. 

11 minutes ago, JDD said:

Interesting to move up for Wilson. He is a great player but I wonder if his slow 40 will have him drop? Someone posted he’s around 4.5 - 4.6 so those guys don’t always get picked that high, though he plays faster than that. 

I only ask because I think Olave, Dotson, and a few others could be had by trading down and collecting picks. 

So my question is Wilson worth giving up extra picks or is there another player plus a 3rd better??

I really think the draft will depend on what Clowney does.  If he resigns the FO can go multiple positions. If he doesn’t then they have to find DE early. 

I wouldn’t trade up for a wide receiver. But if he was there when we picked I would take him. I still see Olave as more of a second round type of guy. I wouldn’t take him in the first round even though he is a really good college receiver. 

Burks is really intriguing to me. He looks fantastic. For no good reason I get scared of some of these big body receivers who guy high though. They either end up like Mike Williams or the other Mike Williams/Mike Evans.

Simple cats, BPA. For those uneducated, best player available. 
Except maybe RB. And kicker. And um punter. Yeah punter. 
I’d take a tackle. I’d take a WR. I’d take a DL. I’d take a (an?)lb. I’d take a CB. 

Oh and no qb. Nobody we could draft this year can beat out Baker. 

Edited by Bonanza23
🤷🏼‍♂️

22 hours ago, JDD said:

Fwiw, it was only three slots for a mid 4th. That said, you really think he runs that slow? He burns everyone. Maybe he runs around a 4.5, though I expect him to be in the 4.45 range. If he runs a 4.6, yeah I doubt with his build that we would need to trade up.

I like those players as well. But man, Wilson just looks special.

Tough one, honestly. I like Burks a lot but don't see the speed others do. I always worry about not separating. He looks good, though. I like him better than Drake Whatever out of USC.

Yeah, which is why I think they try to extend him as early as this season. If we went DE in the first and don't score a top WR, we likely have the same problem at WR next season as well, which the FO just can't let happen.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Simple cats, BPA. For those uneducated, best player available. 
Except maybe RB. And kicker. And um punter. Yeah punter. 
I’d take a tackle. I’d take a WR. I’d take a DL. I’d take a (an?)lb. I’d take a CB. 

Oh and no qb. Nobody we could draft this year can beat out Baker. 

I think DE, T, or WR are the only options in R1 this year.

DT would work, but we’ve got McDowell and while he’s been inconsistent he’s flashed a good bit. I think another year in the scheme and a full offseason program could help him a ton. Dude missed a lot of time and was out of the game a while.

At the other DT we’ve drafted 2 dudes the last 2 season in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Either one of those dudes should be able to step in and play competently with what we have at the other 3 spots or it becomes hard to trust their evaluations of DTs tbh.

LB I suppose as well, but I doubt they do it.

• Like 1

I don't mean to be a jerk, but if we draft a RT Round 1 if there's a franchise WR, EDGE, MLB, or even FS there, I'm going to throw a fit. We've got a LOADED OL and should probably look to plug that RT hole with an above average free agent. Baker leads the NFL the last 2 years in time to throw from a clean pocket (2.5 seconds) and we have 2 Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber running backs.

You know what's garbage? Our receiving corps. You know who we need to evaluate? Baker Mayfield.

Get him some receivers, and if he sucks, get someone else in 2023. If he rebounds and somehow inexplicably makes the leap to Top 10 next year because he's healthy and has weapons, and in the process figures out how to read a defense and perform under pressure, lock him up to a long term deal.

What we absolutely cannot have is "Well we don't know about Baker because our weapons suck, so let's use the Franchise Tag, refuse to make a decision, and kick the can down the road another year" during our window.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what the drop off in WR talent would be in the second round, but I would love to get a Nakobe Dean, or Devin Lewis at the bottom of the 1st, to pair with LOK.  If we are drafting in the middle of the first, a trade down for one of these guys would be awesome.  We also need to find a pass rushing DT.  If Woods continues to send 4, then there has to be a guy in the middle, that can clog the run, and get after the QB.

Maybe a trade down in the first

1-Dean or Lewis

2- Jahan Dotson/Jameson Williams

2- picked up from trade Haskell Garrett

Edited by big poppa pump
Need a little osu homerism.....