MVP Watch FINAL RANKINGS (Version 17.0)

BayRaider

Is Mahomes the best player in the league or the MVP?   Unfortunately there isn't a distinction on the criteria for this award.  If it is the top player who has the most VALUE to his team then there is no debate here.  Patrick in KC has a far superior supporting cast than Rodgers does in GB but if his team goes 15-1 he will win it no matter what AR does.

Edited by Pugger

9 hours ago, DannyB said:

I think the thing I'm kinda holding against Mahomes, and this may be ENTIRELY unfair, but...I don't think he's really been operating at the peak that he's shown he's capable of the past couple of years. I mean the numbers are there, and he still routinely makes throws that are just impossibly absurd, but he's just looked a tad "off" to me. The notion that he can be playing a half-step below what he's capable of, and still be doing what he's doing is a testament to how terrifyingly good I think he is, but it also kinda factors in to why I'm leaning Rodgers. After several down(ish) years himself (again, by his standards), I think Rodgers looks as good and comfortable this season as he has since 2014.

I dunno if my explanation makes any sense, and it really might be unfair, but it is what it is.

Mahomes has thrown for more yards in his last 6 games than any other QB in NFL history through any 6 game span, and won all those games

It’s hard to be better

Mahomes will win it and he deserves to win it. There are still excellent players out there that can be considered. Mahomes benefits off of having those weapons and coaching staff to get him there. Russel Wilson has been looked over for several years and his weapons were half the talent that Mahomes has had and still managed to put up solid numbers through out the years, Metcalf now helps out. Rodgers is another guy that should be looked at as he has been better then what his own coaching staff has thought of or they wouldnt have drafted a qb. Watson has been statistically good but losing games wont get it done. Allen has gone from being a questionable starter in the league when drafted to a guy who now has top 5 qb results. Is it a fluke year maybe, maybe not, you cant knock him for what he has done in previous years for this award. At the end of the day Mahomes wins this award even coming off of his worst game of the year he still managed to find ways to get his players the ball with ease and comeback to win the game. Just dont see any other qb out there that should be mentioned at this point. Then you have Derrick Henry while a rb is usually not mentioned, the things he has been doing for the titans are ridiculous and basically the reason why they are in the position that they are in. Unfortunately he will be quickly wiped away from the discussion because of his position and how easily a team can force him not to be used. 

Edited by soflbillsfan

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Completely disagree. They are about equal to each other in this teams winning. See Titans before Tannehil. Plus I don't know what it is with you, some personal vendetta with Tannehil or what, but you massively sleep on him constantly. He's easily having the best Pure QB season behind Rodgers, Mahomes, and Watson. Narrowly ahead of guys like Josh Allen and Russell Wilson. So are you gonna sit here and discredit every single Tannehil season as long as Henry is RB? That's honestly pretty lame for Tannehil, lose-lose situation. Tannehil is having an absolutely phenomenal season.

Although yes, if Henry finishes with 2K yards, he'll finish ahead of Tannehil in the MVP Award.

because anyone that watches the titans can see who makes that team go. Tennessee perfect game plan is to keep the game close enough to where they can run the crap out of henry and limit tannehills attempts to around 25-30. This isnt really worth debating, but do you really think Tannehill is anywhere near as productive if hes on say they bears? Tannehill is a game manager thats competent enough to do more if needed, Henry really saved his career.

54 minutes ago, Nightime said:

Mahomes has thrown for more yards in his last 6 games than any other QB in NFL history through any 6 game span, and won all those games

It’s hard to be better

Cool, bulk stats. Okay, and over the course of a 16 game season Peyton Manning threw for the most yards. Guess what? I don't think it's the best QB season ever. Last year Jameis Winston threw for more yards than Mahomes ever has in a season. Was his season better?

Jesus christ trying to have a rational conversation with chiefs fans is gonna be a goddamn nightmare for the next decade. Mahomes already is IMO one of the truly all-time great QBs to ever play the game but that still won't be enough for them.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It’s about consistency though and overall season, not how many 200 yard games you can have. Henry would need 2K yards and 20 TDs to even have a chance tbh. 

In defense of Henry there, last week against the Brown's was his first non 100 yard game in about 8 or 9, and they showed him as having 50+ on the ground for some obscene number of  consecutive games last night. 

I wouldnt have him right up there, but that deserves an honourable mention and should Rodgers and mahomes somehow implode over the last 3, he may have a small window to try and steal it at the death. Unlikely, but not impossible. 

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It’s about consistency though and overall season, not how many 200 yard games you can have. Henry would need 2K yards and 20 TDs to even have a chance tbh. 

In his MVP season Adrian Peterson had 6 games of less than 90 rushing yards (Henry has 5 so far), and 12 TDs (I think Henry is at like 14 already), and I had zero issue with him winning it.

Henry needs to finish STRONG, but it's hard to argue his resumé thus far.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

because anyone that watches the titans can see who makes that team go. Tennessee perfect game plan is to keep the game close enough to where they can run the crap out of henry and limit tannehills attempts to around 25-30. This isnt really worth debating, but do you really think Tannehill is anywhere near as productive if hes on say they bears? Tannehill is a game manager thats competent enough to do more if needed, Henry really saved his career.

Amount of passing attempts has nothing to do with how a QB performs. It's what they do with those passing attempts. Game Manager's don't put up 8.0 YPA in back to back seasons. Tannehil with 9.6 last year, second highest since the merger. 8.0 this year.

Titans were stuck in 9-7 purgatory before Tannehil and Henry NEVER once cracked 5 YPC. Both men saved each others career. But if anyone saved the other, Tannehil saved Henry's career.

I know what a Game Manager looks like. I have seen all of Derek Carr, and majority of Alex Smith career, those are Game Managers. Ryan Tannehil is not. And it's definitely disrespect. Low "bulk" stats like yardage and passing attempts do not make you a Game Manager. It's your decisions and how you perform.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

giphy.gif

Passing Advanced Passing
Rk Player Year QBrec Att Cmp% Y/A+ NY/A+ AY/A+ ANY/A+ Cmp%+ TD%+ Int%+ Sack%+ Rate+
1 Patrick Mahomes 2020 12-1-0 497 68.4 124 129 129 132 117 120 122 122 127
2 Aaron Rodgers 2020 10-3-0 448 69.6 120 126 132 135 122 140 124 127 137

Yeah, I don't see how anyone here can just say "it's Mahomes and not even close"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

For what it’s worth, betting lines opened today with Mahomes as the MVP favorite. I think a lot of people are underestimating that he has a very good shot at going 15-1 and on the way having the best record in the league.

If he goes 15-1, he'll definitely have an argument. However, I'm really against the "best player on best team" argument. The rightful MVP is just usually on the best team by coincidence. This year that may not be true. I think as long as a QB goes 11-5, record no longer comes into play IMO. 11-5 is just the qualifier and that's the end of story, at least for me, and my opinion of how I do things.

See Matt Ryan in 2016. Rightful MVP and 11-5 #2 seed team.

Edited by BayRaider

7 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

giphy.gif

Our O-line been nothing but trash all year long playing musical chairs each week and we still got just one loss to show for it. Two of these picks from last game were on Andy Reid gadget plays with our O-line getting blown up. And over the course of the game Mahomes still lit them boys up like a Christmas tree.

Wait until we get an offensive line in the draft this offseason. Mahomes going to cakewalk his way to his 3rd MVP trophy then