2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Someone mentioned that he was interested in bringing a well respected former HC in with him for DC which means all signs were him pointing to him embracing the CEO type HC role.

I think it was Del Rio or someone like that.  You don't bring in a guy like that if you are retaining control of the DC role.  Del Rio has since signed somewhere already but that sign was good for him giving up DC duties.

That would be a great sign IMO.  

1 minute ago, JetsFan15 said:

What makes you say that?  I have not heard rumors of his favorites for OC or DC .. have you seen something?

Reportedly he’s bringing either McDaniel, LaFleur or Kafka with him and none have called plays before. And in defense supposedly Ryans, who worked under him but hasn’t called plays either. 

I think he definitely calls the defense year 1.

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Someone mentioned that he was interested in bringing a well respected former HC in with him for DC which means all signs were him pointing to him embracing the CEO type HC role.

I think it was Del Rio type older HC or someone like that.  Obviously not Del Rio bit you know what I mean.  You don't bring in a guy like that if you are retaining control of the DC role.  

Del Rio who works in Washington?

One thing I'm interested in is length of contract. I think Rhule got a 7 year deal setting a terrible precedent for first time head coaches. Jets will be paying Gase for 2 years so if Saleh wants a 5/6/7 year deal and it doesn't work out then we'd be paying 2 coaches once again for longer duration. Douglas has 4 years left on his deal so I assume Saleh's first deal will align with Douglas. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Josh Allen threw for 375 and 4 TD against Saleh

Fitz 350 and 3 TD against Saleh

However he shut down New England. 

What’s noteworthy is both the Bills and Dolphins will have new OCs next season so we get a clean slate there.

We have struggled immensely against QBs who can move to be honest. I think that's kocurek mostly. That attacking wide 9, they are constantly over pursuing. Allen did it in the air, which is an a bit different though. Kyler for example just runs for 100 yards against us every damn time. Rough game against rodgers, but owned him twice last year. Defense was up and down this year, but it was a good job. 

The Miami game had us starting our 6th or 7th string corner. Should almost throw that one out. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

We have struggled immensely against QBs who can move to be honest. I think that's kocurek mostly. That attacking wide 9, they are constantly over pursuing. Allen did it in the air, which is an a bit different though. Kyler for example just runs for 100 yards against us every damn time. Rough game against rodgers, but owned him twice last year. Defense was up and down this year, but it was a good job. 

The Miami game had us starting our 6th or 7th string corner. Should almost throw that one out. 

What adjustments did Saleh make in those games if you remember?

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Yep just found it.  It was Bradley.

At least that shows he's interested in the HC role and not just the DC.

Yeah thats huge, I just wonder philosophically what his ideas are for offense. I hope it isn't just hire a guy from a successful tree and let him run the offense. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

What adjustments did Saleh make in those games if you remember?

None for the Miami game really. That was out of hand quick. Jimmy threw awful picks and it just snowballed. Fitz just picked on that corner it was 21-7 after like 4 possessions, it was just done. 

He tried to implement more blitzing and quarters /  man against Allen, but he just ripped it apart. We couldn't keep up in man, and even when blitzing we couldn't bring Allen down. Allen picked us apart in zone by just hitting the underneath routes before going over the top when he came down. 

But overall you see him making more adjustments long term and it sneaks up on you and he'd push things in a different direction in game as well. At certain points we'd flip to 2 high zone as opposed to single high cover three. He started blitzing far heavier when we lost bosa and ford, particularly from the nickel. You mentioned the quarters and he did a lot of that. He ran sherm as a third safety in one game, and against the Packers last year actually bounced to zone and man to shadow Adams at times. He threw in some wrinkles

Just now, Heymangold said:

To be honest, they were so injured last year I’m going to lean more on his previous years then last year

This year was more impressive. A drunk gopher could have kinda run the d last year. He made some moves, but that was a lot of talent. 

He put up the sixth ranked defense by dvoa this year which is insane given the injuries

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

None for the Miami game really. That was out of hand quick. Jimmy threw awful picks and it just snowballed. Fitz just picked on that corner it was 21-7 after like 4 possessions, it was just done. 

He tried to implement more blitzing and quarters /  man against Allen, but he just ripped it apart. We couldn't keep up in man, and even when blitzing we couldn't bring Allen down. Allen picked us apart in zone by just hitting the underneath routes before going over the top when he came down. 

But overall you see him making more adjustments long term and it sneaks up on you and he'd push things in a different direction in game as well. At certain points we'd flip to 2 high zone as opposed to single high cover three. He started blitzing far heavier when we lost bosa and ford, particularly from the nickel. You mentioned the quarters and he did a lot of that. He ran sherm as a third safety in one game, and against the Packers last year actually bounced to zone and man to shadow Adams at times. He threw in some wrinkles

Does he run any unique fronts to create advantages for his D-Linemen or is it just a straight forward wide 9 rush?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just intrigued to know more.