What movie are you watching?

Forge

12 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I agree. Its a rare movie i would watch again shortly with some other people.

Yeah i actually looked up to see why people hated it after I watched it. It’s not treated with the same “turn your brain off and you’ll like it” enthusiasm as others like John Wick that were good in action but perhaps weak in story. Biggest contention I saw was that it was based on a Japanese novel and Hollywood whitewashed all the roles, arguing Asian actors could carry a big budget movie as evidenced by Shang Chi and Crazy Rich Asians. But you know how it goes these days. Can’t please anyone. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Yeah i actually looked up to see why people hated it after I watched it. It’s not treated with the same “turn your brain off and you’ll like it” enthusiasm as others like John Wick that were good in action but perhaps weak in story. Biggest contention I saw was that it was based on a Japanese novel and Hollywood whitewashed all the roles, arguing Asian actors could carry a big budget movie as evidenced by Shang Chi and Crazy Rich Asians. But you know how it goes these days. Can’t please anyone. 

I understand certain arguments about whitewashing roles but, at some point, it needs to be realized that they are targeting American audiences with these movies. I don't think Bullet Train was made with the intention to be a worldwide success. 

I don't see anyone bitching about them whitewashing Edge of Tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I understand certain arguments about whitewashing roles but, at some point, it needs to be realized that they are targeting American audiences with these movies. I don't think Bullet Train was made with the intention to be a worldwide success. 

I don't see anyone bitching about them whitewashing Edge of Tomorrow.

At the same time though, they acknowledged while giving the roles to white actors that it be better if they moved it away from Japan because there aren’t many Japanese actors even in it and then they opted against it because it would affect worldwide success 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I might have been disappointed too if i was a fan of the novel (never heard of it).

I thought Ghost in the Shell was stupid for hiring Scarlett Johanssen. Would have been a much better movie given the tone if it was more authentic. Made it way too Hollywood.

From my pov, Bullet Train was just a fun movie with a fairly diverse cast. 

I probably would have liked Game of Thrones better if i never read ASOIAF.

Or movie X if i never read book Y.

but what i wont do is **** on people who are advocating for better representation in movies. I think its totally valid even if i dont agree on some of the examples cited.

And the backlash against those advocating can often be noiseier than the advocaters themselves

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

At the same time though, they acknowledged while giving the roles to white actors that it be better if they moved it away from Japan because there aren’t many Japanese actors even in it and then they opted against it because it would affect worldwide success 

I'm just saying, I do believe the book that Edge of Tomorrow is based on is Japanese. They whitewashed it and it became a worldwide success. This isn't like Ghost in the Shell where it was based on Manga or Anime and then they whitewashed it and it bombed to hell because it's target audience was put off. 

31 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

For a while before i really knew who either of them were too much, i thought it was patton oswald in The Town instead of Jeremy Renner and was impressed with his range

Kevin James was pretty great in the lead role too 

The happening is the only movie I still go back to from time to time just cause it’s so bad. But this time watching it I noticed the doofus military guy is Jeremy Strong from Succession. Blew my mind. Everything about this movie is still terrible lol. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

The happening is the only movie I still go back to from time to time just cause it’s so bad. But this time watching it I noticed the doofus military guy is Jeremy Strong from Succession. Blew my mind. Everything about this movie is still terrible lol. 

Now i gotta watch it again and pretend its Kendall

Edited by Malfatron

The Last Waltz, 1978.. a fareware concert to The Band on Thanksgiving 1975 with some fascinating interviews. You could put together multiple super bowl halftime shows and still not have the amount of talent that was on stage that night..

Richard Manual, Robbie Robertson (and the rest of The Band of course) Ringo Starr, Jodi Mitchell, Dylan, Clapton, Muddy Watters, Paul Butterfield, the two Neil's Diamond and Young, Van Morrison and more. They get EVERYONE on stage for a finale, and then The Band closes with an encore that ended up being the last time those guys ever played on stage.

If you love 60's and 70's music it's worth the 2 hours and a rewatch or two.

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, adamq said:

The Last Waltz, 1978.. a fareware concert to The Band on Thanksgiving 1975 with some fascinating interviews. You could put together multiple super bowl halftime shows and still not have the amount of talent that was on stage that night..

Richard Manual, Robbie Robertson (and the rest of The Band of course) Ringo Starr, Jodi Mitchell, Dylan, Clapton, Muddy Watters, Paul Butterfield, the two Neil's Diamond and Young, Van Morrison and more. They get EVERYONE on stage for a finale, and then The Band closes with an encore that ended up being the last time those guys ever played on stage.

If you love 60's and 70's music it's worth the 2 hours and a rewatch or two.

Love it. Not enough people realize how great The Band was. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Finally sat down and watched Christmas Vacation for the first time. Not sure if it was the Alcohol, but my father and I couldn’t stop laughing. Will add it to the yearly Christmas movie list now.

It wasn't the alcohol, it's a wonderful movie and it's hilarious.