The Raider Depreciation Thread 📉

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I honestly do think that was the plan. 
but once, A potential HOF in Adams, basically said he wanted to be traded to the Raiders, the team went for it, and then tried to go all in. 

I had said give me a Defense (going to spell it out this time 😀) all last year, and then forgot everything as I heard we were in the Adams race. It was exciting, and easy to think wow, we were a good O last year and just got a top 3 WR. 

I could be wrong timing wise, but Adams was the first big move right? 

Wiki has the Ngakoue trade happening the day before but do not know about resigning people or FAs.  I really like Adams but I did not want to trad for him.  Never a fan of trading for a WR and we had to many other areas of need.  Maybe trade for a WR if Carr kept the 2016 mentality and trajectory but now he was a major drop off from Rodgers.  

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't think anyone was mad at them extending guys like Carr, Waller, Renfrow at the time. It looked like good business for the offense. Adding Adams was a splash move and he's an elite player the offense just has to come together.

Outside Jones, they went with budget FA signings. Jones made sense opposite Crosby, knows the system and brings some leadership but age has caught up to him unfortunately. Allowed them to trade and land Ya-Sin who has been their best corner. 

They also sustained some injuries to guys like Fackrell and Kizer who were poised for big roles on defense. 

The approach on paper looked good. Commit to Carr, add an elite #1. Add leadership and familiarity on defense (Jones, Harmon). Fill in holes cheaply and hope they can be coached up.

I did not want to extend Carr and wanted to trade Waller.  I would not have traded for Adams and on the fence for extending Renfrow because of the cost.  Jones was the same as Adams.  I did not want to spend that much.  A cheaper vet and let our young guys get some reps.  I said it multiple times that I would have sat on my hands and seen how far our current players could take us while getting rid of bad contracts.  Ngakoue and Ya-Sin trade seem like the only thing that made sense outside of Crosby.  It still depends on wait we do with Ya-Sin.  Pairing him with Hobbs would be nice but I am not giving him big money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Wiki has the Ngakoue trade happening the day before but do not know about resigning people or FAs.  I really like Adams but I did not want to trad for him.  Never a fan of trading for a WR and we had to many other areas of need.  Maybe trade for a WR if Carr kept the 2016 mentality and trajectory but now he was a major drop off from Rodgers.  

all i know was we got adams march 17th, cause i remember being at an irish bar celebrating st paddys lol. 

yeah trading for a WR is a risky move, typically that shouldnt be made unless really pushing for SB. I just think the circumstances were a little diff with him wanting to be here. . I have no problem with the value 1 and 2, and love the player. Glad he is a Raider now, and he is the last of our problems. 

I think it is very fair to question the move to get Adams, but I can definitely understand why it happened. 
Just hope this year is heavy on the defense in the draft. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

all i know was we got adams march 17th, cause i remember being at an irish bar celebrating st paddys lol. 

yeah trading for a WR is a risky move, typically that shouldnt be made unless really pushing for SB. I just think the circumstances were a little diff with him wanting to be here. . I have no problem with the value 1 and 2, and love the player. Glad he is a Raider now, and he is the last of our problems. 

I think it is very fair to question the move to get Adams, but I can definitely understand why it happened. 
Just hope this year is heavy on the defense in the draft. 

I do not like giving picks and then a big contract but the biggest issue is Adams is reliant on Carr and was use to playing with a QB whose strengths are actually our QBs weakness.

imagine if we could spend some of that dead cap into the OL/DL lol 

Jones has been a bust, but everyone was on board. 

Waller has been a bust as well, but most wanted him extended. 

still am waiting to see what the offense looks like at full strength but its already too late for this season. 

Regardless, we should never be shutout with an "offensive genius" running the show. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not like giving picks and then a big contract but the biggest issue is Adams is reliant on Carr and was use to playing with a QB whose strengths are actually our QBs weakness.

we will see. Adams still putting up decent numbers on the year, with getting less than what 5 targets in what 2 or 3 games.

JMD needs to tell Carr to stop his lobs, he is way more accurate when he just zips in a pass. Adams can catch a ball with heat, so it shouldnt be a problem. 

Depending on what strength your talking about, i assume extending plays, I dont think Adams relies on that. 
Adams relies on a QB putting the ball where it needs to be. Carr can do that. Albiet no where close to as consistent as Rodgers. I do not think Adams relies on a HOF QB to be a Top 3 WRs though

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You don't like this regime because they had to dump all the bad contracts because of terrible drafts and FA signing under Gruden/Mayock? How does that work?

They have 43 million in dead cap in 2022. And another 23.5 million in 2023 having to pay among others: Littleton - 10 mil, Nassib - 5 mil, Drake - 4.4 mil, Leatherwood - 4 mil

Why are some of you so blind to how poorly constructed the roster was durring Gruden 2.0? They missed on 12 out of 13 picks in the top 100 and overpaid for a bunch of FA that didn't pan out. 

This regime has to clean up their books. Then try to improve a roster that was severely lacking talent because of their bad drafts. It will take time. 

Agreed.

The same thing happened when Reggie took over and had to clean up after Al.

Gruden did more of a tear down and build back up approach.

New regime is trying a mixed approach.

Regardless of which any of us thinks is the best way, it's always a bumpy ride the first year of a new regime.  Players coming, players going, contracts to give or get rid of, new schemes for players to learn, etc.

Most teams don't change regimes and have immediate success.  Even the ones that do have some success are typically aberrations or it was a perfect storm. I don't think any of them end up holding a trophy either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

we will see. Adams still putting up decent numbers on the year, with getting less than what 5 targets in what 2 or 3 games.

JMD needs to tell Carr to stop his lobs, he is way more accurate when he just zips in a pass. Adams can catch a ball with heat, so it shouldnt be a problem. 

Depending on what strength your talking about, i assume extending plays, I dont think Adams relies on that. 
Adams relies on a QB putting the ball where it needs to be. Carr can do that. Albiet no where close to as consistent as Rodgers. I do not think Adams relies on a HOF QB to be a Top 3 WRs though

Rodgers would throw more red zone TDs then Carr would throw TDs.  Adams and Rodgers were great in a scramble drill.  Carr just can not do it.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't think anyone was mad at them extending guys like Carr, Waller, Renfrow at the time. It looked like good business for the offense. Adding Adams was a splash move and he's an elite player the offense just has to come together.

Outside Jones, they went with budget FA signings. Jones made sense opposite Crosby, knows the system and brings some leadership but age has caught up to him unfortunately. Allowed them to trade and land Ya-Sin who has been their best corner. 

They also sustained some injuries to guys like Fackrell and Kizer who were poised for big roles on defense. 

The approach on paper looked good. Commit to Carr, add an elite #1. Add leadership and familiarity on defense (Jones, Harmon). Fill in holes cheaply and hope they can be coached up.

I sure wasn't mad when it happened . but it sure seems like a dumb idea now that we're doing the rebuild thing. 

53 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It's been 7 games. It's not a rebuild, we've covered that.

Are you sure?

On 11/1/2022 at 5:19 AM, big_palooka said:

I don't care what the roster looks like year one of a new regime. They can't fill all their holes and their roster vision is in it's infancy. 

15 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

We were 20th and sacks last year this year we are currently 9th. With more money thrown at the edge rusher & cornerback positions than before. How does that work?

No way we're 9th in sacks this year! 29th maybe but surely not 9th, we barely have any outside Crosby?