Week 2 - Rams (1-0) @ Eagles (0-1)

TheRealMcCoy

29 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Love watching DK catch long bombs every week while JJAW is already an obvious bust :)

I don't think I've ever been more upset at us passing on a player than passing on DK in the 2nd round last year. Like I didn't absolutely hate the JJAW at the time, but I considered Metcalf the clear and easy WR1 that year, should have been picked no lower than like 12th overall. AJ Brown was WR2. Just so frustrating.

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think I've ever been more upset at us passing on a player than passing on DK in the 2nd round last year. Like I didn't absolutely hate the JJAW at the time, but I considered Metcalf the clear and easy WR1 that year, should have been picked no lower than like 12th overall. AJ Brown was WR2. Just so frustrating.

I had forgotten JJAW existed I was so sure we were taking D.K. lol

Wentz deserves a ton of criticism but can we talk about how underwhelming our defensive line has been? For the money and resources poured into those positions they sure are under performing - barely touched Gotta and gave up huge chunk running plays. Really disappointing from what I thought would be a top defensive line in the NFL. 

• Like 1

TE production needs to be better, 9 catches on 15 targets for 72 yards today*. We have the best TE duo in NFL and QB that loves throwing to them, when he drop backs 43x, 72 yards just doesn't cut it. I put this on Doug, there was 0 creativity with our TEs outside of Hurts' debut snap where we got it to Goeddert up the middle. Or maybe it's not Doug, and one simply can't expect consistent production from TEs since they are easier to scheme against than WRs? Either way, Doug is the reason we invest so much in the TE position, he needs to show us why. No excuse of the middle of the field being clogged when we are fielding 2 deep threats at WR almost every snap.

*Closer to 100 if Wentz hit Goeddert when he got a step on Ramsey.

16 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Wentz deserves a ton of criticism but can we talk about how underwhelming our defensive line has been? For the money and resources poured into those positions they sure are under performing - barely touched Gotta and gave up huge chunk running plays. Really disappointing from what I thought would be a top defensive line in the NFL. 

I agree. I'm guessing we're not hearing people complain about them because it should go without saying how bad the entire defense was. I mean they let up 37 points, and much of it looked effortless. We're hearing most about Wentz, Doug and the offense because they have fallen the shortest of expectations, but the D 100% deserves more blame for today's L than the offense.

There was 2 or 3 series, I think last drive of 1st half and then few early in 2nd half, where they looked like they had woken up and were wreaking havoc, but then they just started getting whipped in run defense. If Cox and Hargraves can't anchor a top tier run D, I don't even know why they are here. 

32 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I agree. I'm guessing we're not hearing people complain about them because it should go without saying how bad the entire defense was. I mean they let up 37 points, and much of it looked effortless. We're hearing most about Wentz, Doug and the offense because they have fallen the shortest of expectations, but the D 100% deserves more blame for today's L than the offense.

There was 2 or 3 series, I think last drive of 1st half and then few early in 2nd half, where they looked like they had woken up and were wreaking havoc, but then they just started getting whipped in run defense. If Cox and Hargraves can't anchor a top tier run D, I don't even know why they are here. 

Cox has to step it up.. I'll give Javon some time since he missed like all of camp.
But this is what happens when your best pass rusher is Brandon Graham. I love the guy but he's just not getting there.
Barnett continues to be underwhelming and invisible... sure he just got back too but he has zero slack, he needs to prove he's more than a backup DE.

Slow DEs + small mediocre LBs will continue to get us killed.
They could've run that Qb roll out option all day and break the single game first down record.

Honestly the more you look at this team the more it seems primed for a mini-blowup.
Like we can't win now, how is being in cap hell next year gonna help?

26 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Cox has to step it up.. I'll give Javon some time since he missed like all of camp.
But this is what happens when your best pass rusher is Brandon Graham. I love the guy but he's just not getting there.
Barnett continues to be underwhelming and invisible... sure he just got back too but he has zero slack, he needs to prove he's more than a backup DE.

Slow DEs + small mediocre LBs will continue to get us killed.
They could've run that Qb roll out option all day and break the single game first down record.

Honestly the more you look at this team the more it seems primed for a mini-blowup.
Like we can't win now, how is being in cap hell next year gonna help?

Yup, even last year you look at the roster and it was mediocre besides a string, but aging OL and DL. Well most of them are too old now, and we didn’t do good job replacing. Sweat is lone young talent on D that we drafted. Hargraves also can hopefully work into long term plans.

The question will be is Wentz worth keeping through a true blow up? Or will he just hinder it (let’s assume he will be closer to 2018/19 on the season as whole rather than to weeks 1 and 2)? You look st Lions, Stafford has been very solid top 15 QB there but clearly never elite. They’ve been definition of treadmill team for the past decade, and a lot of that is because Stafford is too good to have them picking in top 5 a few years like they need to but also not good enough that you can build just an average offense and see him carry it to top ranks. Now you take a step back, and you wouldn’t actually blame Stafford, one of the line bright spots on the 2010s Lions, for them not breaking through, but he is certainly why a proper rebuild hasn’t been allowed to happen.

The best franchises can seamlessly rebuild and do it smoothly. Think Baltimore, they went from Flacco to Lamar, completely rebuilt roster in span of 2-3 years, and I think highest they picked was #7 and there was never that blatant “blow up”, it just happened. but us? I think it’d need to be that blatant blow up, and I’m not sure that is possible w/ a franchise QB. Tough decision. Our only hope to escape a very ugly 4-5 years is a new hire in 2021 that revitalized Carson and offense while we rebuild defense:

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The question will be is Wentz worth keeping through a true blow up? Or will he just hinder it (let’s assume he will be closer to 2018/19 on the season as whole rather than to weeks 1 and 2)? You look st Lions, Stafford has been very solid top 15 QB there but clearly never elite. They’ve been definition of treadmill team for the past decade, and a lot of that is because Stafford is too good to have them picking in top 5 a few years like they need to but also not good enough that you can build just an average offense and see him carry it to top ranks. Now you take a step back, and you wouldn’t actually blame Stafford, one of the line bright spots on the 2010s Lions, for them not breaking through, but he is certainly why a proper rebuild hasn’t been allowed to happen.

The best franchises can seamlessly rebuild and do it smoothly. Think Baltimore, they went from Flacco to Lamar, completely rebuilt roster in span of 2-3 years, and I think highest they picked was #7 and there was never that blatant “blow up”, it just happened. but us? I think it’d need to be that blatant blow up, and I’m not sure that is possible w/ a franchise QB. Tough decision. Our only hope to escape a very ugly 4-5 years is a new hire in 2021 that revitalized Carson and offense while we rebuild defense:

Right now not really, but the benefit of signing him early is he gets pushed further and further back in the top QB contracts list.
We can't do anything but a restructure with him next year, he has like north of $55 mil in dead cap if we do. 
I have to hope that we can be somewhat slightly better than the lions, they've had their shots and just whiffed. But biggest issue is they keep hiring awful options for coaches.

We've seen Carson play well, but he clearly isn't taking the coaching or getting it to begin with. 
Biggest what the hell is- Why is Press Taylor here? This offense is the same, worse it seems devoid of any sort of hustle or creativity besides wasting one of the 11 spots on a QB you drafted in the 2nd, and that ain't all that new or good.

It's awful when everyone of us could probably come up with a basis for an offense that would actually suit Carson, yet they go back and forth between putzing around with small gains and playing like an 11 year old who's desperately trying to come back in Madden. There is no confidence, no gameplanning, not an ounce of creativity. Yeah Howie screwed things up with drafting JJAW, yeah it's dumb to have two tightends the caliber we have when only one seems to be able to have a big week at a time most of the time, yeah it's pathetic that JP is still here...but teams are much worse off and do way more. 

At this point I hope they lose out, if this is what we are gonna get from this staff I'm hoping that Lurie has no chance but to roll heads.
We can't rely on the NFC East being horrendous and a plucky attitude to make the playoffs every year... what's the point of it if we can't do anything when it matters?

I'm not gonna stop watching, but this is just pathetic. Just watching for the pain now.

38 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

It's awful when everyone of us could probably come up with a basis for an offense that would actually suit Carson, yet they go back and forth between putzing around with small gains and playing like an 11 year old who's desperately trying to come back in Madden. There is no confidence, no gameplanning, not an ounce of creativity. Yeah Howie screwed things up with drafting JJAW, yeah it's dumb to have two tightends the caliber we have when only one seems to be able to have a big week at a time most of the time, yeah it's pathetic that JP is still here...but teams are much worse off and do way more. 

That is what frustrates me the most. It seems in 2016 and 2017 DP was engineering the offense around Carson, as any coach should do, especially for their new QB... but since then, well, since the injury, we desperately want Carson to be somebody he's not. Something of a cerebral west coast pocket passer. I know Doug comes from WC tree, but it's hard to believe he'd so stubborn as to force his offense. I wonder if the injury spooked him and Carson into trying to force the transition, which is fine, but it's clear it's not going to work, so go back to playing to Carson's strengths. Getting him on the move, outside the pocket, and threatening the defense on all levels with his arm strength. He has never been a particularly accurate passer but we are asking him to drop back 30+ times and make 15+ little throws to move the chains, and when just when of those throws is off target, the entire drive gets compromised. That is how it has felt to me for the last several years. The margin for error is next to nothing, and there are next to no explosive plays. It can work if you've got a Drew Brees or Peyton who can actually operate within that slim margin for error, but that's just not going to work with Carson. Even 2017, what defined him was his big time playmaking ability. I'm not saying the accuracy he's put on display in 2020 is acceptable, of course not, I just don't see this gameplan doing him any favors. 

edit: and sure, Carson is not the same athlete he was pre-injury, but he still must fall around average in a league that gets more athletic at the QB position every year (11th in rush yards among QBs in 2019). I saw Big Ben make a handful of plays outside the pocket today, and he is damn near 40.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That is what frustrates me the most. It seems in 2016 and 2017 DP was engineering the offense around Carson, as any coach should do, especially for their new QB... but since then, well, since the injury, we desperately want Carson to be somebody he's not. Something of a cerebral west coast pocket passer. I know Doug comes from WC tree, but it's hard to believe he'd so stubborn as to force his offense. I wonder if the injury spooked him and Carson into trying to force the transition, which is fine, but it's clear it's not going to work, so go back to playing to Carson's strengths. Getting him on the move, outside the pocket, and threatening the defense on all levels with his arm strength. He has never been a particularly accurate passer but we are asking him to drop back 30+ times and make 15+ little throws to move the chains, and when just when of those throws is off target, the entire drive gets compromised. That is how it has felt to me for the last several years. The margin for error is next to nothing, and there are next to no explosive plays. It can work if you've got a Drew Brees or Peyton who can actually operate within that slim margin for error, but that's just not going to work with Carson. Even 2017, what defined him was his big time playmaking ability. I'm not saying the accuracy he's put on display in 2020 is acceptable, of course not, I just don't see this gameplan doing him any favors. 

Yeah I wonder which side it leans between Doug and Co just not doing it and Carson not feeling comfortable doing it too. Hard to say, seems kinda like both are really trying to be the bigger reason this year. Right now it looks like Reich was the key. There has been nothing since besides the aggressiveness that is unique or groundbreaking. The magic got us a ring but seems used up.

I think Doug clearly can lead a team, but he either needs to give up the reins to playcalling or get better people around him to give him all the info he needs like he had the first two years.
I'm fine moving on if he doesn't do either this year. They had even more time to iron out a new version of the playbook this year and I'm not seeing any difference besides Miles being really good and beating people with athleticism and once they suck it up for a couple drives they'll have Carson throw it deep for 3 plays on the off chance something happens.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

TE production needs to be better, 9 catches on 15 targets for 72 yards today*. We have the best TE duo in NFL and QB that loves throwing to them, when he drop backs 43x, 72 yards just doesn't cut it. I put this on Doug, there was 0 creativity with our TEs outside of Hurts' debut snap where we got it to Goeddert up the middle. Or maybe it's not Doug, and one simply can't expect consistent production from TEs since they are easier to scheme against than WRs? Either way, Doug is the reason we invest so much in the TE position, he needs to show us why. No excuse of the middle of the field being clogged when we are fielding 2 deep threats at WR almost every snap.

*Closer to 100 if Wentz hit Goeddert when he got a step on Ramsey.

Play calling perhaps. If we are not having wentz throw over 20 yard then he needs to hit up the TEs more. 

Speaking of play calling, why did we throw the ball on 4th and 2? Just garbage play calling... 

Go Birds

MC