Week 2 - Rams (1-0) @ Eagles (0-1)

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He looks awful, but it just wouldn't make sense for him to actually be this bad. I mean he was our savior in his last 4 full games prior to this season, so what is more likely? Temporary rough start for some TBD reason, actually just sucks and past few years were a mirage, or something happened in last 9 months that turned him into a scrub? I'm going with the 1st explanation, whatever that TBD reason is. Hopefully it becomes clear soon.

Now as far as him not looking like his MVP self or like a QB who will ever be at that level again, I would agree all signs point to no, and that's very disappointing, but it's not like you need an MVP QB or bust mindset when team building. We can still contend even if 2018-19 is the "real" Carson, that is, if he stays healthy of course.

Again, he has looked awful, but I'm just gonna choose to believe this is not the real Carson we are seeing. Maybe rust, maybe just back to back bad games, maybe dealing with something, etc., but he has played at franchise QB level long enough to make me believe these type of performances are more the outliers (although he's always seemed to have more "bad" games than other QBs in that 2nd and 3rd tier of QBs). Biggest problems right now to me are the FO and coaching. Lack of talent and/or talent development in the last 3+ years is astounding and is why we are where we are. Blowing 17 pt leads to nameless teams, getting blown out at home even with lucky in our favor (Kupp fumble gifting us TD). That little run to be the tallest midget of the NFCE last year just delayed this, and sets us back another year honestly. 

We have Hurts locked down for 4 years, Carson unmovable until after 2021. We've got time and plenty of opportunities to see what we have in Hurts. 

I also doubt Carson is as bad as he has played, but man has he played bad. Nothing about his game is good or consistent. Decision making, accuracy, movement, mechanics, and just arm talent in general have all been terrible. Can he turn it around? Maybe, but I have never seen a good QB look this bad and bounce back from it. The guy looks like a third string QB right now, we would have a better shot at winning starting any other starter on any other team in the first two games, including guys like Trubisky who actually seems like he is improving.  

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I also doubt Carson is as bad as he has played, but man has he played bad. Nothing about his game is good or consistent. Decision making, accuracy, movement, mechanics, and just arm talent in general have all been terrible. Can he turn it around? Maybe, but I have never seen a good QB look this bad and bounce back from it. The guy looks like a third string QB right now, we would have a better shot at winning starting any other starter on any other team in the first two games, including guys like Trubisky who actually seems like he is improving.  

I'm not saying he doesn't look really bad,  I'm just thinking what could have happened to a 27 year old QB for this to happen in 1 offseason that it's a permanent change and he is no longer the player he was in 2018 or 2019 (which to me was more or less than same player, you have 2016 rookie Carson, 2017 MVP Carson, and then 2018-19 top 12ish QB Carson)? I don't think a QB has ever actually had that kind of drop-off without any sort of major injury, and I doubt Carson is the 1st. He'll be back to 2018-19 form, which is disappointing for those of us who still had hopes of 2017 form, but obviously better than these 1st 2 games. 

Unless maybe that Clowney hit permanently rattled his brain. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I'm not saying he doesn't look really bad,  I'm just thinking what could have happened to a 27 year old QB for this to happen in 1 offseason that it's a permanent change and he is no longer the player he was in 2018 or 2019 (which to me was more or less than same player, you have 2016 rookie Carson, 2017 MVP Carson, and then 2018-19 top 12ish QB Carson)? I don't think a QB has ever actually had that kind of drop-off without any sort of major injury, and I doubt Carson is the 1st. He'll be back to 2018-19 form, which is disappointing for those of us who still had hopes of 2017 form, but obviously better than these 1st 2 games. 

Unless maybe that Clowney hit permanently rattled his brain. 

I agree that Carson can turn it around, but we will see if that does happen. If he plays terrible vs an awful Bengals team next week as well you have to imagine his starting job will be in jeopardy. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I can only assume then that you long ago gave up on Goff then after his 18 game stretch between 2018 and 2019 where he completed 60% of his passes and threw 17 TDs to 19 INTs?

I didn’t give up on Goff but there’s a difference in Goff’s and Wentz case. 

Goff came off a season where he just made the super bowl. So he had more leniency. 

Wentz has durability issues, can be stubborn (per your coaches), and tries to make too much happen. 

Also, the Rams didn’t draft a QB in the second round to backup Goff. 

I hope it works out for Wentz as he was one of my favorite QBs. 

We did neutralize Aaron Donald entirely this game. We gave up no sacks today which is a drastic improvement. 

Jason Peters didn't take himself out of the game again

Carson actually threw the ball away twice in two plays

Really the only good things I noticed at first glance 

Just now, oland11 said:

We did neutralize Aaron Donald entirely this game. We gave up no sacks today which is a drastic improvement. 

Jason Peters didn't take himself out of the game again

Carson actually threw the ball away twice in two plays

Really the only good things I noticed at first glance 

Sanders, aside from the Fumble, looked good.