Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

1 minute ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Wow dudes talking about a old Chicago team that had an elite Defensive unit! And the greatest special teams player ever. What is your point? That bears team was loaded with talent. Excellent run game as well. 

I dunno man, you're the one that said going 10-6 despite playing poorly is something that a garbage QB can't do.

• Like 2

Something I've noticed when doing research into players around this time;

If you take the rural population vs urban city population, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of NFL players every year that come from rural and/or small town areas compared to what you'd expect from cities, based on population.

Why do you think this is?

24 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If you take the rural population vs urban city population, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of NFL players every year that come from rural and/or small town areas compared to what you'd expect from cities, based on population.

My family is originally from a small town of 600 in the middle of nowhere, and hanging out there for a week is enough to motivate a person to do something better for themselves and GTFO. I’d imagine it plays a big factor in drive. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, Gmen said:

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to get a deep threat in round two 

I guess it depends how you define accurate lol

Like if you throw a jump ball to a WR who is doubled covered and it gets intercepted but the WR was right there, is that accurate?

Edited by 11sanchez11
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Could be an accessibility kind of thing, in terms of just which sport people from different areas are most easily going to be playing at a young age. Like, part of why soccer is so ridiculously popular worldwide is all you really need to functionally play the game in some form is people and a ball. Football has a high barrier of entry cost-wise when you get to higher levels, but as like a childhood pastime, you really just need a lot of grass and a ball. If you think of like a rural midwestern town or something, you may not have a basketball court in the entire town, America doesn't really give a crap about soccer, so football winds up being an easy game for young kids to play together. Contrast that with urban areas where almost anywhere you live there will be a nearby basketball court, but finding enough open space to play pick up football would be incredibly difficult. Might just lead to more people in rural areas growing up playing football with their friends, while people in urban areas are more likely to flock to something like basketball.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I guess it depends how you define accurate lol

Like if you throw a jump ball to a WR who is doubled covered and it gets intercepted but the WR was right there, is that accurate?

Well, if you read the post, "on target" is defined as "a pass considered catch-able".  And yes, that's subjective.  But a 68% to 18% discrepancy makes me wonder which one of these experts needs glasses.  I was personally impressed with Jones' arm strength as a rookie from game 1.

At the 1:09 mark, rolls to the left, throws across his body, on target 42 yards in the air.   As far as I'm concerned that closed the book on the arm strength criticism right there. 

There is no question whether Jones has the tools to play in this league at a high level.  He works hard, he has a good arm, and he's a top 10 athlete at the position.  He just needs to clean up the fumble.

And oh by the way, go see what QB data mine has to say about Darnold.  Spoiler... 29th in the league in overall accuracy... xD

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Well, if you read the post, "on target" is defined as "a pass considered catch-able".  And yes, that's subjective.  But a 68% to 18% discrepancy makes me wonder which one of these experts needs glasses.  I was personally impressed with Jones' arm strength as a rookie from game 1.

I guess an on target pass could still be a bad pass. Which is maybe why he didn't complete a lot of them. 

18% on outside deep throws, not just deep throws. And I think his definition is a little more strict than "on target".

53 minutes ago, Gmen said:

And oh by the way, go see what QB data mine has to say about Darnold.  Spoiler... 29th in the league in overall accuracy... xD

27th** but good try B|.. (Josh Allen is 29th). Anyways, I'd like to know where these #'s come from (Sample size etc.) A lot of these advanced analytic accounts seem to be rather arbitrary - They're excellent at skewing statistics to fit an agenda. 

I'm not familiar with the page so I can't speak to it's credibility, but clearly not high on Jones either: Enjoy! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

27th** but good try B|.. (Josh Allen is 29th). Anyways, I'd like to know where these #'s come from (Sample size etc.) A lot of these advanced analytic accounts seem to be rather arbitrary - They're excellent at skewing statistics to fit an agenda. 

I'm not familiar with the page so I can't speak to it's credibility, but clearly not high on Jones either: Enjoy! 

Darnold as a rookie : 414 * 0.075 = 31 passes

Still better than Darnold :P

Aggressiveness (AGG%)

Aggressiveness tracks the amount of passing attempts a quarterback makes that are into tight coverage, where there is a defender within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. AGG is shown as a % of attempts into tight windows over all passing attempts.

According to NFL next gen stats, Jones ranked 3rd in the league in Aggressiveness%.  NFL next gen stats use tracking technology, so this is an objective measure, as opposed to other analytics sites.  So this means that Jones was throwing a lot into tight coverage (Kyler Murray was on the opposite end of the spectrum).  Whether this is a result of receivers not getting separation, or bad decision making isn't known.  But when you're near the top of the league in throwing into tight windows, you're going to be near the top of the league in turnover worthy throws.  ... Which gets back to my original point that it would be a good idea to get Jones another receiver opposite of Slayton.

Edited by Gmen

12 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Could be an accessibility kind of thing, in terms of just which sport people from different areas are most easily going to be playing at a young age. Like, part of why soccer is so ridiculously popular worldwide is all you really need to functionally play the game in some form is people and a ball. Football has a high barrier of entry cost-wise when you get to higher levels, but as like a childhood pastime, you really just need a lot of grass and a ball. If you think of like a rural midwestern town or something, you may not have a basketball court in the entire town, America doesn't really give a crap about soccer, so football winds up being an easy game for young kids to play together. Contrast that with urban areas where almost anywhere you live there will be a nearby basketball court, but finding enough open space to play pick up football would be incredibly difficult. Might just lead to more people in rural areas growing up playing football with their friends, while people in urban areas are more likely to flock to something like basketball.

Yeah, makes sense. I guess a good comparison for accessibility would be the Brazilian favelas, where every space bigger than say 2 or 3 houses is made into some form of soccer space - just need a ball and people. Consequently most Brazilian soccer players are from poor areas inner city. It's the opposite space in America, but the same principle - accessibility.