2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

I’m all for trading back.   Win-win no matter what.  

1.   We get Collins, EDGE or RT if we are in the 20’s range. 

2.   We accumulate a ton of 2022 draft capital.   Whether it’s Watson, Wilson, Rd1 QB next year - it puts us in the driver seat.   

And to be transparent - as long as his career isn’t in jeopardy, I’m all for Watson.  But keep in mind Russell Wilson is likely to be available - next offseason. Sea has 6 guys signed only for 2021 - and the Jets own their 2022 1st round pick.  They’re going all in for next year.  But after 2021 it’s very possible, even likely Wilson would be on the block.    I’d prefer an age 25 to Watson long term but if I was ok with Stafford obv I’m on the Wilson bandwagon for 2022 (2021 isn’t realistic for the reasons above).    And it leaves 2022 Rd1 wide open as well with 2 1sts and likely more.   I don’t think Lock is the long term answer esp. given the increased bar for QB play we should target, but if Watson isn’t available before the season, loading up for 2022 pick wise helps so many ways.  

Now if somehow a top 4 QB falls to 1.9 I get going there.    But if we can leverage a huge return for 2022, the flexibility in access to Watson, Wilson and 2022+ - I’m more than ok with moving back to 20’s if it gets us 2022 1st (Chicago we should target as I think they are most likely to miss playoffs and even fall hard - and thus open the window to a top 10 pick - IMO that’s the holy grail scenario).   Especially since overall BPA there in the 20’s likely ends up being a need pick. 

Edited by Broncofan

29 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I have been on board for a Zaven Collins trade down for a few months now, and still am in my fantasy world. But I also think we may be really high on Strand and just run with him there. 

Zaven is a special prospect in my eyes. His combo of coverage and blitzability is exactly what you want in a LB. He has an elite motor, elite zone coverage instincts, great HWS metrics, super coachable kid, scheme versatility, etc. I think he is going to be a hell of a player. I think I may be too honed in on him right now due to 'my guy' bias, but he just seems like the finishing piece for a hell of a defense. 

I like Collins a lot too... But to be honest, any of the top 3 LBs seem to be great prospects (Parsons, Collins, JOK). I'm excited to see all 3 of their pro days. I would love a trade down and would be happy with any of them, but am partial to Collins too. I wouldn't want to drop down past 20 though. I think that's right around where talent level starts to drop off. 

Edited by grizmo78

5 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I like Collins a lot too... But to be honest, any of the top 3 LBs seem to be great prospects (Parsons, Collins, JOK). I'm excited to see all 3 of their pro days. I would love a trade down and would be happy with any of them, but am partial to Collins too. I wouldn't want to drop down past 20 though. I think that's right around where talent level starts to drop off. 

I think whoever drafts JOK should be looking at him as more of a box safety than a LB. In the tape I’ve watched, he makes most of his plays from the slot position, or deeper in the box than LB’s usually play. He’s a Jamal Adams, Troy Polamalu type of player. If he’s the pick, I fully trust Vic’s got a great plan for him, but he’s not a 34 ILB. 

Is it safe to assume that project QB’s like Trey Lance or Justin Fields won’t be as high on our board as the guys more likely to be able to play in 2021? This defence is ready to eat right now, and the idea of wasting the season without a QB doesn’t taste right. I wonder if Kellen Mond would be pretty high on our list, as a guy who’s probably advanced enough to push Lock from day one. It’s not the route I’d go, but there are worse ideas. 

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think whoever drafts JOK should be looking at him as more of a box safety than a LB. In the tape I’ve watched, he makes most of his plays from the slot position, or deeper in the box than LB’s usually play. He’s a Jamal Adams, Troy Polamalu type of player. If he’s the pick, I fully trust Vic’s got a great plan for him, but he’s not a 34 ILB. 

Is it safe to assume that project QB’s like Trey Lance or Justin Fields won’t be as high on our board as the guys more likely to be able to play in 2021? This defence is ready to eat right now, and the idea of wasting the season without a QB doesn’t taste right. I wonder if Kellen Mond would be pretty high on our list, as a guy who’s probably advanced enough to push Lock from day one. It’s not the route I’d go, but there are worse ideas. 

For JOK, I think he is one of those cases where just because he hasn't been asked to do it consistently, doesn't mean he can't do it. I think his pro day is going to be important to see if he's closer to 210lb or 230lbs though. He's listed at 215 and I agree, thats not big enough to play inside. 

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I mostly agree that JOK isn't a pure ILB but I think he's fine in that role if need be. He's not much smaller than Roquan Smith who Fangio obviously signed off on and had success together. But agree that he's better as a chess piece. 

While it may not be the most efficient use of our weaponry (Sutton, Jeudy, Patrick, Hamler, Fant, Albert O and MG3 is still a good receiving option), there is a pretty good history of athletic rookie QBs coming in and having success. Obviously takes scheme adjustments on Shurmers side, so depending on your confidence in him, may not be the route to go. I could see Lance coming in and having a rookie season similar to Josh Allen's second year (58-60% cmp, 3k yards, 20TD/9INT and 500+ yards and 10TD on the ground). Fields is a better passer and, the optimistic view, could have an RG3 type rookie year.  He can be super dangerous in the RPO though and will make better use of our WR/TE imo.

1 hour ago, rcpbawler said:

I mostly agree that JOK isn't a pure ILB but I think he's fine in that role if need be. He's not much smaller than Roquan Smith who Fangio obviously signed off on and had success together. But agree that he's better as a chess piece. 

Roquan Smith was listed at 225lbs in college and plays around 235lbs now. JOK is listed at 215lbs. Thats a pretty significant difference. That's why i'm interested in his pro day weight and times. If he can get closer to 230lbs (huge ask in just a few short months) then I think he can play inside, but theres no way he can be an ILB at 215. That's roughly how big Jamal Adams is. 

For Zaven Collins, I'm interested to see if he weighs in around that 260lbs or if he has been able to shed some of that and get closer to 250lbs which hopefully would be able to get him get a little more athletic. 

1 hour ago, rcpbawler said:

Honestly, with teams needing to be in the nickel so much these days, there’s probably an opportunity for legit LB/S hybrids in today’s game. If JOK can cover TE’s, he’d be a helluva weapon by being a 5th DB and 4th LB at the same time. 

But I think the playing weight stuff is a bit overstated in general. A player’s listed weight is usually the heaviest they’ll be in a season. A LB measuring in at 235 for camp is likely playing in the 220s during the actual season. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

15 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Roquan Smith was listed at 225lbs in college and plays around 235lbs now. JOK is listed at 215lbs. Thats a pretty significant difference. That's why i'm interested in his pro day weight and times. If he can get closer to 230lbs (huge ask in just a few short months) then I think he can play inside, but theres no way he can be an ILB at 215. That's roughly how big Jamal Adams is. 

For Zaven Collins, I'm interested to see if he weighs in around that 260lbs or if he has been able to shed some of that and get closer to 250lbs which hopefully would be able to get him get a little more athletic. 

Wasn't a perfect comparison but I think how they win will be similar, both are instinctive and are great when they see the play and get to their spot before the ball carrier. Neither are gonna stack and shed linemen. Roquan showed it more at Georgia though cause he was used in a more traditional role as opposed to JOK who lined up in the slot half the time.

Collins is so good at dropping into his zone and reading the QB though. I really like him and wouldn't have any qualms with grabbing either on a trade down.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You think Miami really takes Smith at 3? 170 is so small I get flashbacks of Tavon Austin. Chase would be my pick it I had to go wr.

Zero chance IMO.   Miami might take Smith later on, but not at 3.   They'll take Sewell at 3 or they move back IMO (or QB if they don't believe in Tua, but nothing points that way so far).

• Like 1