2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

51 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Parsons is a freak

There's no doubt on his physical talent.    Even with the Pro Day bump in his times (covered before), the whole set on tape matches what his workout hints at.   This is kinda ominous (but not a clear commitment), coming from Renck.

I've been a big proponent that citing off-field issues and letting guys drop is often an opportunity to mine value.   Having said that, we also don't get the complete picture that teams do.     It's pretty telling if DEN does pass on him - there's no doubt on the talent, it's not likely the reason why DEN or other teams would pass.

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

There's no doubt on his physical talent.    This is kinda ominous (but not a clear commitment), coming from Renck.

I've been a big proponent that citing off-field issues and letting guys drop is often an opportunity to mine value.   Having said that, we also don't get the complete picture that teams do.     It's pretty telling if DEN does pass on him - there's no doubt on the talent.

Yeah his bench, Vert, SS, and arm length are all average to below average. He will get hyped off that 40 and 3 cone though. And that character is possibly a huge concern.

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

Yeah his bench, Vert, SS, and arm length are all average to below average. He will get hyped off that 40 and 3 cone though. And that character is possibly a huge concern.

If there is a measurement that I think uncovers key NFL-required talent, it's the 3-cone, because it correlates well with ability to change directions, and suddenness.    Lots of guys with average straight line speed shine there, and succeed more in the NFL.   Much like how broad/vert help project explosiveness.    I actually prefer those traits - more importantly, hopefully it correlates with what we see on tape.    

It could be lying season -  but the talk of Parson falling hard is coming from well-known and rarely-panic button types - Jim Nagy, the NFL Draft bible dude, etc.   His fall, and how hard, will be one of the really interesting stories to watch this draft on Day 1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If there is a measurement that I think uncovers key NFL-required talent, it's the 3-cone, because it correlates well with ability to change directions, and suddenness.    Lots of guys with average straight line speed shine there, and succeed more in the NFL.   Much like how broad/vert help project explosiveness.    I actually prefer those traits - more importantly, hopefully it correlates with what we see on tape.    

It could be lying season -  but the talk of Parson falling hard is coming from well-known and rarely-panic button types - Jim Nagy, the NFL Draft bible dude, etc.   His fall, and how hard, will be one of the really interesting stories to watch this draft on Day 1.

I think Rueben Foster is who brings a lot of pause to the Micah situation 

8 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I think Rueben Foster is who brings a lot of pause to the Micah situation 

As someone who banged the drum hard on Foster, I totally get it.     His talent was unreal, but the domestic issues, compounded with the ACL injury, it shows the risk.    Still, if the team takes Parsons Rd1, presumably they've done their homework - and of course, as the pick goes later, the risk-benefit ratio changes.   

If we moved back to 1.20 with CHI, and he was head and shoulders the best guy, then the benefit is probably worth the risk.     I think the harder call will be if he's head and shoulders the best ILB, but not necessarily head and shoulders the best overall player - that's where teams eventually take the chance on guys with character flags, when the gap in talent/ceiling outweighs the risk.    It's why Foster fell to the 30 range, as an example.

This is also another reason why moving back makes so sense for Paton - if he misses on Parsons, there are other guys who fit other needs.   If he gets Parsons, it absolutely reduces the risk because we accumulated  other future value.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

You guys know much better than I do: if the Broncos stay at 9, and Micah Parsons is there, is there any chance you don't take him? I'm trying to gauge the possibility that he gets to 11. The Broncos seem like the most likely team to take him before then.

Allbright, who's really called a lot of DEN moves from past years and has been dead-on this year, keeps banging the drum that DEN is either taking QB at 1.9 (if one of the top 4 drops, for sure, less clear if Mac Jones is the best guy there) - or moving back.     

Obviously can't really tell until the top 4 QB's go, what's happening, if Allbright is proven correct again (and in theory, DEN could take Mac Jones at 1.9).    That's about as reliable as the info gets during peak lying season, anyways.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Albright seems to be pretty close to the Broncos organization, so I'll take his word for it. Anyone else remember when he used to post here?

I mostly asked because of this quote I saw today:

Parsons is an undeniable physical talent, but there seem to be some questions regarding off the field stuff. The Giants seem to have some inside information and a close relationship with Parsons already due to Coach Chaos being on the staff. That puts Parsons firmly in play at 11, assuming he gets there.

57 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

With the way we have drafted lately, I would be very surprised if we take Parsons at 1.09. We have been prioritizing character for at least 2 drafts now and, so far, its been a great play. 

I'd have no problem drafting him at 9. I've read what I can find on him and basically he's being accused of being a testosterone driven punk when he was 17. Anybody else relate?😄

Now he's a soon to be 22 YO and by all accounts a good father. Here's a statement he made today.

" "Everyone's going to learn and grow. I'm pretty sure none of you are making the same mistakes when y'all were 17 or 18, or even 25. If someone is going to judge you over that, I'd rather not be in their program. I know the type of person I'm becoming. I know the type of father I'm becoming. That's all that matters to me. Anyone that is willing to accept my wrongs when I was wrong and accept my rights when I'm right -- I'm ready to go in and give it my all. If it's going to come down to something that I did in high school, or something I wish I could change, then I can only control what I can control -- what I do going forward. That's how I feel about it."

Sounds to me like a pretty good kid.

24 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'd have no problem drafting him at 9. I've read what I can find on him and basically he's being accused of being a testosterone driven punk when he was 17. Anybody else relate?😄

Now he's a soon to be 22 YO and by all accounts a good father. Here's a statement he made today.

" "Everyone's going to learn and grow. I'm pretty sure none of you are making the same mistakes when y'all were 17 or 18, or even 25. If someone is going to judge you over that, I'd rather not be in their program. I know the type of person I'm becoming. I know the type of father I'm becoming. That's all that matters to me. Anyone that is willing to accept my wrongs when I was wrong and accept my rights when I'm right -- I'm ready to go in and give it my all. If it's going to come down to something that I did in high school, or something I wish I could change, then I can only control what I can control -- what I do going forward. That's how I feel about it."

The accusations and character concerns cited are from his PSU time, though not when he was 17.   I'll be the first to say that if Denver passes on him, it's likely not because of what he did when he was 17, but his PSU info.   

If Paton takes him, wherever they pick (further back is an easier call, where the risk goes down with more future games assets acquired), then obviously he passed their vetting.  If they pass on him, guess he didn't.  The HS incident isn’t likely going to decide this, though.  

Edited by Broncofan

59 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

There's a lot of layers to the Parsons onion. I am sure he's contrite, but the sexual assault situation is a big cloud hanging over him. The circumstances around the alleged fight/knife being pulled/James Franklin cover up situation are more murky, and I think, the ones that will be incredibly concerning to teams. The details there are vague- this story was very glossed over in B1G country where I live, mostly, the speculation is, because Franklin and others were involved in making sure the situation never saw the light of day. 

I like Parsons, and he's a hell of a player. All of the details of what happened will probably never be fully known. Any team who takes him will need to do a significant amount of homework and be comfortable with the guy though.

I’ve just heard way too many anecdotal things about Parsons at this point. Concerns me that Bucky Brooks knows the family and expressed his concerns about him ever growing up. It would be so easy to talk about him turning a corner if you believe there’s even a chance he has.