2021 Broncos Forum College Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

3 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

If the Jets decide to roll with Darnold instead of drafting a QB, I'd say there's like a 90% chance they're trading out of that spot to another QB needy team who likely view Wilson as their qbotf

I would be okay if the Broncos moved up to 1.2 to get him.  I'd send Lock again with the 1.9 pick so he can compete with Darnold

So what's it gonna take to move up ??  This year's #1, next year's #1 and a #2 ?? Perhaps another Day 2 or 3 pick ??

With the way the defense is being stacked, adding a top flight QB prospect to this young offense is a necessity. Moving up, he'd probably sit behind Lock this year anyway (unless he's THAT good). Either way, we'd probably be able to re-coupe some of draft capital trading Lock, so I say do what it takes to build us into a playoff contender NOW.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

As time goes on I am very much getting the feeling Paton wants to go big and move up to get his QB, whoever it may be. He's a smart guy, so is Elway, they know these guys aren't falling to 9.

I just wonder who is the most likely team to trade down because I think Carolina is in a similar spot a pick ahead of us.  Not sure the Falcons can pass up the opportunity to get Ryan’s successor. The Dolphins having their choice of the WRs and Pitts will be a tough sell to move down from. The Bengals just seem like a franchise that isn’t interested in doing extra work even if it’s to their benefit. The Eagles could have Pitts fall into their laps as maybe the best overall player. The Lions trading down would make a lot of sense, especially for 2022 capital. If  QB4 is still there at 7, maybe that’s the spot.

21 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I just wonder who is the most likely team to trade down because I think Carolina is in a similar spot a pick ahead of us.  Not sure the Falcons can pass up the opportunity to get Ryan’s successor. The Dolphins having their choice of the WRs and Pitts will be a tough sell to move down from. The Bengals just seem like a franchise that isn’t interested in doing extra work even if it’s to their benefit. The Eagles could have Pitts fall into their laps as maybe the best overall player. The Lions trading down would make a lot of sense, especially for 2022 capital. If  QB4 is still there at 7, maybe that’s the spot.

To be clear, if teams want to move up to get a QB - it's going to be expensive, simply because Carolina is likely going to play sheriff on anyone behind them.

Remember, they offered 1.8 straight up for Stafford (Detroit took the "lesser" offer to gamble on future pick placement and numbers, along with their loyalty to Stafford's stated preference to go to LAR).     They were prepared to go hard on Watson.     David Tepper is an owner who convinced Matt Rhule to come to Carolina by paying top dollar.

Basically, Carolina is going to be match any price we can offer.   It's more a Q of who they want.    If it's 1.2 they want, maybe we don't have to pay as much for 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5-1.6, if the guy Paton wants isn't the #2 guy on the board.  Or maybe Paton is willing to trade back if one of the top 4 guys isn't in range.    But I would be shocked if we outbid Carolina for anyone the Panthers want.     They outbid us for Stafford (Paton offered 1.9 & Lock for 2.8 and Stafford), hard to think they won't outbid us again, given how aggressive their FO and owner have been.

46 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be clear, if teams want to move up to get a QB - it's going to be expensive, simply because Carolina is likely going to play sheriff on anyone behind them.

Remember, they offered 1.8 straight up for Stafford (Detroit took the "lesser" offer to gamble on future pick placement and numbers, along with their loyalty to Stafford's stated preference to go to LAR).     They were prepared to go hard on Watson.     David Tepper is an owner who convinced Matt Rhule to come to Carolina by paying top dollar.

Basically, Carolina is going to be match any price we can offer.   It's more a Q of who they want.    If it's 1.2 they want, maybe we don't have to pay as much for 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5-1.6, if the guy Paton wants isn't the #2 guy on the board.  Or maybe Paton is willing to trade back if one of the top 4 guys isn't in range.    But I would be shocked if we outbid Carolina for anyone the Panthers want.     They outbid us for Stafford (Paton offered 1.9 & Lock for 2.8 and Stafford), hard to think they won't outbid us again, given how aggressive their FO and owner have been.

Keep in mind Mac Jones could also come into play for Carolina. It wouldn’t shock me if Joe Brady really likes him after working with Burrow who had many of the same strengths as a player. If that’s the case, you might be more worried about teams in the 12-20 range making a big jump for Fields/Lance...but that kind of move down the board is a hard sell for teams picking in the top 7 unless you really blow them away. I couldn’t see Belichick doing it, for example. Chicago is one team who might be desperate enough to though. Interesting owner/GM dynamic there as Ryan Pace has no reason to care about 2022 draft capital. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

15 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Keep in mind Mac Jones could also come into play for Carolina. It wouldn’t shock me if Joe Brady really likes him after working with Burrow who had many of the same strengths as a player. If that’s the case, you might be more worried about teams in the 12-20 range making a big jump for Fields/Lance...but that kind of move down the board is a hard sell for teams picking in the top 7 unless you really blow them away. I couldn’t see Belichick doing it, for example. Chicago is one team who might be desperate enough to though. Interesting owner/GM dynamic there as Ryan Pace has no reason to care about 2022 draft capital. 

Carolina didn’t send their guys to see Mac yesterday.   Might be smoke but worth tracking.   Everything says they aren’t likely going to “settle” though.   If Mac is their top guy they will take him.  But I don’t think they will settle for best guy left.   Whoever they want they’ll make a strong offer. 

Agree Chicago is the team most likely to pay over market to move up.  GM Pace is desperate to upgrade as his job is squarely in jeopardy.  Selling Andy Dalton as their 2022 QB has been an outright PR disaster.   

At this point its going to cost an arm-and-a-leg to trade up for a QB. 

On the flip side, I am starting to think there is a non-zero chance that Sewell falls to 1.09. Fingers crossed on that. 

My stars-align mock:

1.09 Peni Sewell OT - Elite RT prospect who is just too talented to pass up simply bc we are stuck with James. Elite character.

2.40 Zaven Collins LB - Plug / Play ILB who has elite zone cover instincts and good blitzing skills. Elite character. 

3.71 Talanoa Hufanga S - The well rounded jack-of-all trades S that Vic seems to prefer. Elite character

Trade Up

3.??? Kenneth Gainwell RB - Elite pass catching back who has good enough running vision. Supossedly a good kid as well, but not as read into his background. 

Guys fit what we seem to be searching for on and off the field IMO. All can play at least sub-package roles from the jump. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Carolina didn’t send their guys to see Mac yesterday.   Might be smoke but worth tracking.   Everything says they aren’t likely going to “settle” though.   If Mac is their top guy they will take him.  But I don’t think they will settle for best guy left.   Whoever they want they’ll make a strong offer. 

Agree Chicago is the team most likely to pay over market to move up.  GM Pace is desperate to upgrade as his job is squarely in jeopardy.  Selling Andy Dalton as their 2022 QB has been an outright PR disaster.   

They probably got enough intel on Mac Jones coaching him at the Senior Bowl.