Trade Targets?

pacman5252

9 minutes ago, Howler said:

Why does Gute have such a reluctance to give up a mid round lottery ticket for something the team needs in the interim? They've blown plenty of lottery tickets on bad players over the years. 

Yep, I agree. This draft and develop theme doesn't seem like the best, while it does work in some cases. How long do you draft and develop for when every year its just "wait 2-3 years, this guy has potential" then they up on practice squad or cut. It just doesn't make sense. It's just crazy IMO, GB has had two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game for the past almost 30 years but only have 2 SBs to show for it. Now I know theres teams out there that don't even have 1 SB in their history, but when you have Farve and Rodgers for almost 30 years, it seems like there would be more than 2 SBs in there or at least more then 3 SB appearances. It just seems the top contenders are always trying to get better while the Packers are content with where they are at. Hell, the Buccaneers just signed AB. I know thats a huge risk, but for 1 year at 2.5 mil, it could be well worth the risk and if it doesn't, they aren't out much and they let AB walk in the off season.  Not saying the packers should have signed AB at all, but it would have been interesting with him in LaFluer's offense.

Edited by dwaye50327

15 minutes ago, Howler said:

Why does Gute have such a reluctance to give up a mid round lottery ticket for something the team needs in the interim? They've blown plenty of lottery tickets on bad players over the years. 

This is assuming it will just take a mid rounder to get a guy.

It cost New England a 2nd round for Sanu last year. Maybe the higher volume of available players and the issues with the coming salary cap might change the cost this year. 

*** also bad cap hit players will likely be available but unlikely to move, like AJ Green. So it might not be as active. Like Vikings want to dump all their bad contracts but no teams want them.

Edited by Green19

Looking at the current NFL standings, here's a list of of teams that could be considered "sellers" between now and the deadline: 

1. Jets -- already have been selling
  2. Broncos -- maybe 
  3. Chargers -- maybe
  4. Jax -- definitely 
  5. Texans -- definitely 
  6. Bengals -- should be
  7. Giants -- probably not because still in division hunt despite 1 win
  8. Cowboys -- see Giants
  9. Falcons -- should be 

So out of that group, which WRs could be available, and would a trade make sense: 

Jets 

1. Jamison Crowder -- arguably the most productive WR who could be had via a trade. 
    • 29/383/2 so far this year
    • 78/833/6 last season
    • Has multiple seasons with over 55/600. 
    • Seasoned vet. 
    • Neg: currently dealing with hamstring issue (missed this week)
    • Contract: About $4-5 mil left this season, plus $11.5 mil next season (but only $1 mil dead cap if released) = basically a rental for this season. 

Broncos 

1. Tim Patrick -- a more economical option 
    • 23/354/2 this season - already his best season in 3-year career
    • Cap hit - $750,000
    • RFA next season
    • Broncos may be willing to take compensation now after drafting multiple WRs in 2020 draft plus Sutton and Hamilton already on the team. 

Chargers - may not be selling and no real options (they aren't trading Allen) 

Jacksonville

1. Dede Westbrook - just tore his ACL
  2. Keenan Cole - another economical option 
    • 28/374/3 this season
    • 24/361/3 last season
    • Had 80/1200/4 over 2017-2018
    • Contract: about $1.5 mil remaining for this season
    • UFA next season so could be rental 

Texans 

1. Will Fuller -- probably one of the most expensive choices in terms of draft capital
    • 31/490/5 this season
    • 3 seasons over 500 yards
    • 21 career TDs in 4.5 seasons
    • Contract: about $5 million remaining this season
    • UFA next season -- probably half-year rental 
  2. Kenny Stills
    • Quiet year so far: 10/138/1
    • In previous 7 seasons with Texans/Dolphins/Saints, he's had some very good seasons (6 seasons over 550 yards, 5 seasons with 5+ TDs). 37 career TDs. 
    • Contract: about $3.5 mil left this season
    • UFA next season
  3. Randall Cobb 
    • 30/372/2 this season (basically has taken many of Stills' opportunities)
    • Coming off of 55/828/3 season with Dallas
    • Obviously a lot of past success with Rodgers
    • Contract (more problematic): about $3 mil left this season. 2021 has $10.6 cap hit with dead cap at $12.2 mil. In 2022, contract is more team-friendly. Trade wouldn't work for GB absent some contract amendments.
  4. Brandon Cooks
    • 34/427/2 this season
    • Has four 1,000 yard seasons with Rams/Pats/Saints
    • Contract: about $4 mil remaining this season. Has 3 years left on deal after that but there's a potential out after this season with 0 dead cap moving forward. 
    • Definitely a rental but a pretty good one. 

Bengals

1. A.J. Green -- definitely biggest boom or bust candidate
    • 29/297/0 this season
    • Obviously was one of the best WRs in the game between 2011-2017 before injuries set in the last few seasons
    • In a situation in Cincy with a rebuilding team and young WRs getting a lot of opportunities
    • Contract: about $9 mil left this season (tag) -- Would have to require Cincy to eat some of that to make a trade work. 
    • Definitely a rental

Giants -- probably not selling -- EDIT: if they decide to sell: 

1. Golden Tate
    • 20/195/1 this season
    • Last "big" season was in 2017 with Lions - 92/1,003/5
    • 49/676/6 last season (not bad)
    • Slot-type player we don't really have
    • Contract (problematic): about $3.75 mil left this season; $10.8 mil next season ($4.7 mil dead). 

Cowboys -- probably not selling -- EDIT: if they decide to sell: 

1. Michael Gallup
    • 19/371/1 this season
    • 66/1,107/6 last season
    • Young, upside if we're looking past the "rental" phase
    • Contract: Basically $500,000 this season, $1.1 mil next season (very manageable). UFA after that. 

Falcons -- probably not selling per reports. Player in mind would be Jones (the holy grail) 

Edited by packfanfb
Info on Tate/Gallup
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Howler said:

44 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Yep, I agree. This draft and develop theme doesn't seem like the best, while it does work in some cases. How long do you draft and develop for when every year its just "wait 2-3 years, this guy has potential" then they up on practice squad or cut. It just doesn't make sense. It's just crazy IMO, GB has had two of the greatest QBs to ever play the game for the past almost 30 years but only have 2 SBs to show for it. Now I know theres teams out there that don't even have 1 SB in their history, but when you have Farve and Rodgers for almost 30 years, it seems like there would be more than 2 SBs in there or at least more then 3 SB appearances. It just seems the top contenders are always trying to get better while the Packers are content with where they are at. Hell, the Buccaneers just signed AB. I know thats a huge risk, but for 1 year at 2.5 mil, it could be well worth the risk and if it doesn't, they aren't out much and they let AB walk in the off season.  Not saying the packers should have signed AB at all, but it would have been interesting with him in LaFluer's offense.

Because of 18-5 or 19-6 depending on what you wish to count.

Regarding lottery tickets...Bakh was a lottery ticket.  As was Linsley.  As was Jamal Williams and Aaron Jones.

I think if you are a GM in the NFL and you feel like you are incapable of making good picks in the draft, well, you should make those trades.... while playing Madden at home in your parent's basement.  And getting your resume together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

They don't need to eat it, it's guaranteed salary, not prorated bonus. Those guarantees would be ours if we trade for him.

he means that they would need to restructure cobb in a way that makes them eat it, which is something they almost certainly wouldn't do, so the possibility of a deal is slim to none.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

L. 

Cowboys -- probably not selling -- player in mind would be Gallup. 

Tell me, why wouldn't the Cowboys trade Gallup?

Course, they are in a division that they can still win.  

If you look at that team, Cooper isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  CeDee is the real deal, and he's going nowhere.  They have this kid named Wilson who has looked quite good. 

Gallup has a year and a half yet.  I have a hard time believing they will pay him while having Cooper under contract and CeDee.

With how their year as gone, they need an overhaul of players.

They should want draft picks.  And I'd flip them a second for Gallup today.

Here are there receptions broken down...for WR's.

Name/targets/receptions/yards/TD

Cooper 62/53/583/2

Lamb 56/36/497/2

Gallup 36/19/371/1

Wilson 20/14/173/2

It is obvious who the two big dogs are and Wilson is a fine #3.

But then again, I REALLY want Gallup.  And I'd even gift them MVS in a package deal if I had to.

Cooper.  

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

why wouldn't the giants be selling? Tate is not getting burn and would be a great add here

Just haven't heard much there about them moving anyone and because the NFC sucks so bad, the Giants are still alive at 1-6 so just guessing they won't be as motivated to sell any players as a typical 1-6 team. 

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If you look at that team, Cooper isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  CeDee is the real deal, and he's going nowhere.  They have this kid named Wilson who has looked quite good. 

Gallup has a year and a half yet.  I have a hard time believing they will pay him while having Cooper under contract and CeDee.

Cooper 62/53/583/2

Lamb 56/36/497/2

Gallup 36/19/371/1

Wilson 20/14/173/2

But then again, I REALLY want Gallup.  And I'd even gift them MVS in a package deal if I had to.

Cooper.  

I'd be interested in Gallup as well. Just going purely off the educated guess that even at 2-4 I don't see the Cowboys selling anyone when that **** division is still up for grabs. 

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Cooper 62/53/583/2

Lamb 56/36/497/2

Gallup 36/19/371/1

Wilson 20/14/173/2

Cooper.  

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd be interested in Gallup as well. Just going purely off the educated guess that even at 2-4 I don't see the Cowboys selling anyone when that **** division is still up for grabs. 

Gallup for Raven Greene and a 4th

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Because of 18-5 or 19-6 depending on what you wish to count.

Regarding lottery tickets...Bakh was a lottery ticket.  As was Linsley.  As was Jamal Williams and Aaron Jones.

I think if you are a GM in the NFL and you feel like you are incapable of making good picks in the draft, well, you should make those trades.... while playing Madden at home in your parent's basement.  And getting your resume together.

Ok, I guess you're good with the packers getting blown out by good teams on consistent basis, in the regular season and playoffs, I guess there's consistency there. I guess its just hard getting excited for this team every year when you already know the outcome. Beat up on weaker teams, lose to good teams, lose to the NFC west or more physical teams in the playoffs. The Packers take no risks and content with being average every year. As long as management keeps the team just good enough to get people excited and fill the seats in Lambeau, they don't care.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

They are down to a third string QB.  Second and third stringers on the OL.  Just got trounced by Washington.

I have a hunch that Jerry and company will want draft picks.  But, that is probably just wishful thinking on my part.

3 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Ok, I guess you're good with the packers getting blown out by good teams on consistent basis, in the regular season and playoffs, I guess there's consistency there. I guess its just hard getting excited for this team every year when you already know the outcome. Beat up on weaker teams, lose to good teams, lose to the NFC west or more physical teams in the playoffs. The Packers take no risks and content with being average every year. As long as management keeps the team just good enough to get people excited and fill the seats in Lambeau, they don't care.

In what NFL word do you live in when 19-6 is average?

When you believe in your system, as an organization, you put a premium on the players you have in house who know your culture and your system.

It's called Next Man Up.  And it's worked for us all year.

Look. I want Gallup badly.  I'm not against bringing someone in.  But let's not pretend that our culture and system that has resulted in 19-6 under a rookie coach is an average thing.