When can we call Sam Darnold a bust?

Slingin' Sammy

26 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Darnold went 7-6 with a garbage roster last year.

He's already a decent QB.

If the Jets cut him then 20-25 teams would try to sign him.

Calling him a bust means you don't understand the term.

20-25 teams would try and sign him as a backup, sure. That doesn't mean **** though 

Name me 5 teams that would have him as their starter. You can't. 

Being a bust means you don't live up to your draft position. Has darnold shown you he was worthy of a top 3 pick? Not even close.

Is the book closed on him? No. Is there a very high chance that he is not on the Jets roster in 2 years? Yes. That would make him a bust. 

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

If the Jets cut him then 20-25 teams would try to sign him.

Hahahaha! I'd love for you to name 25 teams that would try to sign Sam Darnold as a starter next season, because I bet over half of those fanbases would laugh in your face.

And this is coming from someone who actually thinks his career may be salvageable if he can get himself off that Titanic of a franchise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Hahahaha! I'd love for you to name 25 teams that would try to sign Sam Darnold as a starter next season, because I bet over half of those fanbases would laugh in your face.

And this is coming from someone who actually thinks his career may be salvageable if he can get himself off that Titanic of a franchise.

Saints - Cant trust Winston and Brees is retiring soon

Washington - We suck but prob wont get lawrence

Pitts - Big Ben is old

Colts - Rivers is a turn over machine and old

Raiders - They dont love Carr

20 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Pitts - Big Ben is old

Jags

Panthers

NE

TB

Titans

Chicago

Denver

Edited by Oregon Ducks
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Pitts - Big Ben is old

You got 20% of the way there and I already dispute one or more.

Remember, the way this was phrased, he's saying that 25 teams would basically be fighting over the right to sign Darnold. Not that they'd be okay ending up with him on some cut-rate deal if plan A, B, and C don't work out.

Just a few months ago the Patriots FINALLY rescued Cam freaking Newton from the scrap heap to a bottom-barrel contract, and he's proven 10x what Darnold has, been an MVP, been to a Super Bowl, and isn't even that old.

2 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Pitts - Big Ben is old

Id certainly give Darnold a shot with us, but chances are he will be off the Jets next off-season and I doubt the Steelers would sign him unless he is dirt cheap.  Ben's contract is massive and we have too many other mouths too feed....and wont even be able to feed all of them.

Only way is if the Steelers somehow win it all, and Ben opts to retire after 2020.

At one point I wanted Darnold on the Chargers to give them a hometown hero at QB.

Perhaps it was for the best he didn't join the Chargers. They made the playoffs without him in 2018. The Jets meanwhile were in last, as of now they still haven't really recovered from missing the playoffs at 10-6 in 2015 (the last team to do so, with the expansion to 14 playoff teams, it becomes less likely to happen, but the main reason I want a 16-team playoff down the road is because the first round bye has become too much of a competitive advantage in recent years, and I want a level playing field).

Maybe Darnold wishes he was playing for the Chargers. NYC is very different from LA. He probably hasn't gotten used to living in the biggest East coast city after living his entire life before that in the biggest west coast city.