When can we call Sam Darnold a bust?

Slingin' Sammy

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If we're in position to get Lawrence then you take him simply because he's dynamic, 5 years of team control and he's better than Darnold. Move Darnold for a 2nd, possible late 1st depending on the team and build.

His value drops as soon as teams know you are drafting Lawrence to a 3rd or 4th

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Rosen netted the Cardinals a 2nd. As long as multiple teams are interested then Sam will net us a quality pick.

22 year old Rosen with 3 years left on his contract got a 2nd round pick. 24 year old Darnold with 1 year left is not getting a very good return. Any team interested is likely picking high and will target a rookie so they have the full 4+1 years to groom him. Maybe a mid rounder? If that.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Remember Ryan Tannenhill with Gase?

The “Look at Tannehill now on Titans” has become the most overrated statement. The narrative that Tannehill sucked on Miami is ridiculous. Was he a franchise QB? No, but he was an average starter who is now on a team with a better supporting cast and coaching and is playing better.

Darnold has not even looked average.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

22 year old Rosen with 3 years left on his contract got a 2nd round pick. 24 year old Darnold with 1 year left is not getting a very good return. Any team interested is likely picking high and will target a rookie so they have the full 4+1 years to groom him. Maybe a mid rounder? If that.

Haven't we learned yet to not be so quick to say what teams would give up.

Watch Darnolds td throw today. I bet teams still view highly of Darnold hes in as bad of a situation as i have ever seen.

Plus there is still lots of season left. I'm sure when Gase is fired after the broncos game and the jets start getting back guys like  Mims, Crowder,  and Bell that they may see better play.

Now. He can make spectacular throws no question, but every 1st round QB should be able to do that. You're a franchise QB when you can consistently make smart decisions and aren't constantly putting your team in bad positions because of errant throws that kill drives. Also his big plays are way too infrequent to lean on them as a positive

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If we're in position to get Lawrence then you take him simply because he's dynamic, 5 years of team control and he's better than Darnold. Move Darnold for a 2nd, possible late 1st depending on the team and build.

You're kidding yourself if you think you'd get that much for Sam, and this is coming from a person who's been a big fan of Darnold.

1 hour ago, RUGmen said:

The “Look at Tannehill now on Titans” has become the most overrated statement. The narrative that Tannehill sucked on Miami is ridiculous. Was he a franchise QB? No, but he was an average starter who is now on a team with a better supporting cast and coaching and is playing better.

Darnold has not even looked average.

Right? The Tennessee version of Tannehill is certainly better, but Tannehill was far from a bad QB in Miami.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

No bad qb makes the td throw that he made. Issue is the jets failed him on every level   the jets are a pathetic organization that has some of the worst talent and coaching I've seen.

Niners were 0-9 the year darnold was coming out and I live in CA so I scouted him pretty heavily. 

At the time I said he makes just enough amazing plays off script to make you think he's a franchise QB, but that same mindset is what gets him into trouble. He thinks he's Superman and has a huge ego. He doesn't operate within the offense very well. Turns the ball over too much (he doesn't fumble in the NFL as much as he did at USC). Doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes and continually makes the same ones. 

So while yes, the Jets have failed him at every turn, the issues he has are his own. A lot of the blame lies on the organization for not helping him advance, but at the end of the day he has not improved at all and ultimately that is on him 

I was very glad when we traded for Garoppolo and weren't in a position to draft darnold 

• Like 1