So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

On 10/31/2020 at 10:40 PM, Sugashane said:

Wilson just slid to the side, moved up and to his right and threw a 40 yard dime that was dropped by the receiver. THAT is what separates him from Jones and Trask. Trask doesn't have that level of mobility and Jones lacks the accuracy even from a standstill, let alone on the move.

Wow, that was NFL caliber.

Reminds me a LOT of Aaron Rodgers man...

I dont know what to think about letting Pace/Nagy select another QB. To acquire Trubisky/Foles they have given up a 1st, (2) 3rd rounders and (2) 4th rounders. That's a ton of draft capital for two crappy QB's. That being said, I really think we need to do whatever we can to move up in the draft in order to try again. It's the only way out of this funk.

Edited by dafreak

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I had no idea about Wilson until you guys clued me in. He seems great, seems in control, handles pressure and can make all the throws.  Any chance he's available outside the top 10 picks?

Yes there's always a chance.  I mean Mahomes and Watson both went 10+ and those two guys were more heralded coming out than Wilson is.  Also Lawrence and Fields will surely be the first 2 off the board if they all declare. Then we have to consider a lot can change between now and the draft in terms of positioning. 

The teams picking ahead of the of Bears as of today that IMO may draft a QB are:

• Jets
  • Jags
  • Pats
  • Vikings
  • Washington
  • 49ers
  • Raiders

Teams also ahead of Bears that I don't think will draft a QB in the 1st are:

• Giants
  • Falcons
  • Cowboys
  • Chargers
  • Bengals
  • Panthers
  • Lions
  • Broncos

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Rodgers is my favorite draft prospect, and I have to agree. I don't believe the ceiling is as high but still the playstyle is so damn close. 

I mean whose ceiling is as high as one of the greatest of all time? I'll take 1/5 of that in this stupid city.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I mean whose ceiling is as high as one of the greatest of all time? I'll take 1/5 of that in this stupid city.

I'm just resigning to having Foles and a cheap vet being who Pace rolls with. I'd be excited for the pick honestly. I'd even be excited with Trask if we didnt trade up, but I feel like he will find someone in a different spot to go after. 

Maybe we get an OT and then a QB swing in the 2nd or 3rd. Idk. But ignoring the spot isn't going to help it at all. 

Edited by Sugashane

@Sugashane I think a lot of it will boil down to how Foles closes out this season. If he plays really well, I can see us using the draft to beef up the OL and WR spots. Tyler Bray likely will be QB2.

If he sucks? All bets are off and I could even see Pace trading up, AGAIN, to draft a QB.

Unless Foles' lights it up in the next 9 weeks then his contract is all but guaranteed that he will be here in 2021. So unless we miss the playoffs and Pace/Nagy are fired and the next GM just wants to take the hit now and move on, Foles will be the starter next year.  UNLESS, the new GM decides to make a move for a high end QB that we aren't even thinking off right now like ANgelo did with Cutler. 

If it was me, I would try to get a QB in the 1st or 2nd that I like. And if that fails then I would go OT and stick with Foles for another year and start building the OL so that next year in 2022 I could get my QB and build around him with a solid OL already put in place. Now, how that all works with our aging defense, I don't know.

All I know is that we finally need a QB and we are cursed. Chicago Bears, QBs, and cursed are all one in the same.  

• Like 1

This is the issue with keeping Pace and Nagy. They are going to be desperate to fix the QB spot and offense and show ownership some serious momentum on offense.

Does that lead to being more aggressive than they should? Or making a mistake?

I like the idea of waiting till 2022 if the right QB cannot be added, but that seems like something a regime with more time will do.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is the issue with keeping Pace and Nagy. They are going to be desperate to fix the QB spot and offense and show ownership some serious momentum on offense.

Does that lead to being more aggressive than they should? Or making a mistake?

I like the idea of waiting till 2022 if the right QB cannot be added, but that seems like something a regime with more time will do.

Like you said before, unless they embarrass the team it's hard for a GM or HC to get fired from the Bears.  Angelo & Lovie were given 10 and 8 years respectively.

We don't know how much ownership values Pace.  They probably love him more than people think so it may be something that Pace is given more time to figure out. Not confident the same can be said for Nagy however.

That being said I don't expect either Pace or Nagy to lose their jobs after this season because it's a unique year with COVID and they should finish with at least a .500 record.

Though it's very possible that if the offense doesn't show signs of extreme improvement in 2021 that Nagy is axed after next season and Pace is allowed to hire another HC to pair with a 1st round QB pick.

IMO it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to sell the farm to trade up all the way into the top-3 picks this coming draft when there are not any signs that the HC can turn around a struggling O heading into his 4th season.  But if you do that and the QB is a game changer than it may not matter who's coaching the offense.

Tough call...

Edited by topwop1

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Like you said before, unless they embarrass the team it's hard for a GM or HC to get fired from the Bears.  Angelo & Lovie were given 10 and 8 years respectively.

We don't know how much ownership values Pace.  They probably love him more than people think so it may be something that Pace is given more time to figure out. Not confident the same can be said for Nagy however.

That being said I don't expect either Pace or Nagy to lose their jobs after this season because it's a unique year with COVID and they should finish with at least a .500 record.

Though it's very possible that if the offense doesn't show signs of extreme improvement in 2021 that Nagy is axed after next season and Pace is allowed to hire another HC to pair with a 1st round QB pick.

IMO it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to sell the farm to trade up all the way into the top-3 picks this coming draft when there are not any signs that the HC can turn around a struggling O heading into his 4th season.  But if you do that and the QB is a game changer than it may not matter who's coaching the offense.

Tough call...

If the offense sucks again in 2021 I would expect major changes.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

They let him overhaul, and I mean OVERHAUL Halas Hall.

He has clout in this organization.

I don't even know what to cheer for as a long-term thinking fan. Short term we want Foles to light it up and be 'our guy' for the next 5 years. That buys us time to find a QB we like or have the luxury of picking one if he falls.

Then again... if you're thinking like Pace and Nagy, drafting a kid QB in 2021 buys you time right off the bat -- at LEAST 2 more seasons. I think Nagy is here through the 22-23 season, and Pace is here through 2021.

My money says they draft a QB high.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If the offense sucks again in 2021 I would expect major changes.

Well it probably will, let's just be honest with ourselves. Nagy hasn;t shown the capability to play around his players strengths, the cap is likely going down, ARob is an upcoming FA so who knows what they do there and they only have so many draft resources to invest in a new OL & QB.

My guess is that they will be drafting too high to have any shot at a legit 1st round QB and they will likely go OL and try and build around Foles for another run in 2021 while the D is still in it's prime.

I predict we will see a QB drafted at some point though, perhaps as early as the 2nd.  They just have to throw a dart at someone there.

Edited by topwop1