So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

I just have a hard time with allowing Pace to continue to mortgage more of the Bears future.

Our cap is a legit mess from this offseason when he went all in. We finally have our draft capital back and now we let him burn that.

If you are going QB, which we DESPERATELY need to do, then don’t saddle that QB with a lame duck staff and GM 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I just have a hard time with allowing Pace to continue to mortgage more of the Bears future.

Our cap is a legit mess from this offseason when he went all in. We finally have our draft capital back and now we let him burn that.

If you are going QB, which we DESPERATELY need to do, then don’t saddle that QB with a lame duck staff and GM 

I agree. It is time to blew it all, but for me this also includes the coach. I'm not sure how likely is that the Bears can find a quarterback in future draft of the type that Nagy wants (i.e. a glorified game manager such as Alex Smith). And he will fail with any other type of quarterback, because he has shown poor capacity to adapt.

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If we don't make the playoffs then the rebuild needs to begin right after the week 17 game and that starts with Pace, Nagy, and all staff on offense. Let the new GM start the process before the draft and have a fire sale to gain as much draft capital as possible and start there.  With COVID, there might be a good list of unexpected free agents too.

Even with a playoff appearance, there's almost no option but to re-tool this roster. Keeping this defense together will leave almost no flexibility to add to the offense.

I'd say a primary goal of the offseason should be to move towards better roster balance and more future flexibility.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Trask is weird.

He has the size of a guy who should have a cannon, but he doesn’t.

But he is accurate and appears to read the field well and can run a little.

Like jumbo Alex Smith.

Was just going to say Trask is killing it lately. Looks like another 1st round QB and maybe a guy Bears will actually have a shot at.

To be fair Foles also has the size of a guy who should have a cannon too but he doesn't.

We don't necessarily need a guy with a cannon arm..we just need someone who's good.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Was just going to say Trask is killing it lately. Looks like another 1st round QB and maybe a guy Bears will actually have a shot at.

To be fair Foles also has the size of a guy who should have a cannon too but he doesn't.

We don't necessarily need a guy with a cannon arm..we just need someone who's good.

I agree. It is just weird to see a 6’5” 250lbs touch passer like he is.

He continues to play really good football, which is positive for the Bears. Maybe they won’t have to compromise themselves with a move up.

People are still trying to predict the cap and pretending to know the outcome after an unusual year. To make matters worse, some of these same fans have been saying the same thing for last 2 years that the Bears wouldn't have cap space only to be proven wrong in the end. But I guess if you keep saying it then you might be right eventually lol. 

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Trask is weird.

He has the size of a guy who should have a cannon, but he doesn’t.

But he is accurate and appears to read the field well and can run a little.

Like jumbo Alex Smith.

IDK, Smith was an athlete who never gets enough credit for what he did with his legs. I think he plays more like a Roethlisberger-sized Tom Brady as a passer, and likely a runner as well. More QB dives than scrambles.

Both are more nimble than athletic, prefers to stay in the pocket make a living off pinpoint passes. Trask is getting a ton of YAC but he is throwing guys open and hitting them in stride, allowing them to make a move. He's making fast reads and Mullins isn't running the simple Urban Meyer offense, he is making some single read plays to get guys open but is doing a lot more full field reads. Trask has clearly fixed something with his technique because he has a lot more zip available and his deep ball doesn't die, so I believe that will continue as he keeps getting his mechanics cleaned up. He'll never have a howitzer but he has enough to get though rain and poor weather, as long as he is accurate I don't care.

I'm down, I will be happy with a swing on Trask.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

People are still trying to predict the cap and pretending to know the outcome after an unusual year. To make matters worse, some of these same fans have been saying the same thing for last 2 years that the Bears wouldn't have cap space only to be proven wrong in the end. But I guess if you keep saying it then you might be right eventually lol. 

I think you plan for the worst and take advantage of anything better that comes.

There will be cap mobility, no question. Fuller isn't playing at $20 mil next season, he will get extended I bet and then his contract manipulated to help with the potential down years. Others can be cut and moved on from to save money for cheaper prospects too.

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think you plan for the worst and take advantage of anything better that comes.

There will be cap mobility, no question. Fuller isn't playing at $20 mil next season, he will get extended I bet and then his contract manipulated to help with the potential down years. Others can be cut and moved on from to save money for cheaper prospects too.

Yes, but by how much is anyone's guess at this point. We're in uncharted territory with C19. The league has never dealt with anything even close to this in the Salary cap era.   

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

They didn't have flexibility last offseason either. There's no "proving wrong" in this case.