So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

How has Reid improved from earlier in his career? The reason we have Nagy is because Reid blew a huge lead to the Titans in the playoffs. The only reason he looks good now is because of great drafting and Mahomes. 

IMO the NFL is more like the NBA than people want to admit to. If you don't have a good/great QB it doesn't matter what else is going on in coaching.

Makes no sense. If that was true, then explain why GB has consistently beat the crap out of Chica....  wait... ****!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Makes no sense. If that was true, then explain why GB has consistently beat the crap out of Chica....  wait... ****!

quarterback.... that's my point. If you have the right QB coaching matters much less than people want to admit. It's a lot easier to be a good coach if you have Lebron James or Patrick Mahomes than if you have Ryan Tannehill. 

Pepe Hamilton is the QB/OC for the Chargers. Is he now a good coach or is Hebert just the real deal? Good players shine no matter what with the rare expections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

quarterback.... that's my point. If you have the right QB coaching matters much less than people want to admit. It's a lot easier to be a good coach if you have Lebron James or Patrick Mahomes than if you have Ryan Tannehill. 

Pepe Hamilton is the QB/OC for the Chargers. Is he now a good coach or is Hebert just the real deal? Good players shine no matter what with the rare expections.

I do want to make sure you know I was being sarcastic in my post. I agree with you 100% lol

I have had that stance for a long while that you shouldn't tie yourself down to a mediocre QB for 4 years even if you used a 1st on him. If you dont KNOW hes the guy after 2 years with him he likely isn't. Yes there's the Brees and a few others but the majority of guys pop out at you after 2 years of starting. There may be a number of things that need improved but they should still be able to regularly show they are franchise QB material. Tru had some moments in 2018 but 2019 he was seriously underwhelming. 2017 he was put on the field with SEC talent and mi limited his role too much to get a good read on him.

• Like 1

As a counterpoint to the people that want to go OT next draft and not move up for a QB: will the Bears be bad enough in 2021 to get a good QB swing the next year? I think they're likely to stay middling even if they lose a couple pieces on defense. No real guarantee that they get a better draft slot the following year, especially if they're not playing games with a sub replacement OL and Tyler Bray at QB.  

Lots of ways to attack this, but I do think that none of it really matters until you have the QB, so even if the Bears use their precious first round pick on a tackle or one of the best interior guys, I think they need a drafted QB to at least take a swing with.  And going forward I will never complain if they're drafting a QB every year just to keep buying lotto tickets, I mean even if they have say Wilson next year and he's showing lots of promise and wins a game or two on his own, I'm not going to be upset if they draft an upside guy with a 2nd rounded in 2022.  Imagine the WTF's RG3 draft where they also got Cousins, but hopefully with less of an inept organization*

*please don't use this as an opportunity to make me compare team's ineptness, nobody wins when we do that

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

As a counterpoint to the people that want to go OT next draft and not move up for a QB: will the Bears be bad enough in 2021 to get a good QB swing the next year? I think they're likely to stay middling even if they lose a couple pieces on defense. No real guarantee that they get a better draft slot the following year, especially if they're not playing games with a sub replacement OL and Tyler Bray at QB.  

Lots of ways to attack this, but I do think that none of it really matters until you have the QB, so even if the Bears use their precious first round pick on a tackle or one of the best interior guys, I think they need a drafted QB to at least take a swing with.  And going forward I will never complain if they're drafting a QB every year just to keep buying lotto tickets, I mean even if they have say Wilson next year and he's showing lots of promise and wins a game or two on his own, I'm not going to be upset if they draft an upside guy with a 2nd rounded in 2022.  Imagine the WTF's RG3 draft where they also got Cousins, but hopefully with less of an inept organization*

*please don't use this as an opportunity to make me compare team's ineptness, nobody wins when we do that

The defense will never allow them to get into the top 10. They are the only reason the Bears are not picking 1 or 2 this season.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Who's system do you think he runs if not Reid's? The guy has only ever played or coached under Reid since he's been in the NFL. 

If it's his own offense like you're suggesting then it just shows even more that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

He's taken some Reid principles, and constants, and cobbled up his own Frankenstein monster offense. Study what the teams do. It's clear. 

And yes, he's apparently clueless. The preponderance of inside zone runs (many with a back who is not at all adept at that sort of thing) shows that as clearly as anything else.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I saw a great quote this morning and it was,

Nagy has adopted all of the cute things that Reid does [personnel packages, motions, trick plays] and done adopted none of the key foundational pieces to the offense like passing on early downs, hard play action etc.

That's a good take. Nagy is cute, cute, and then as a change of pace--more cute. 

I noted on the attempted touchdown pass on third and short vs. the Colts--the Colts WERE EXPECTING HIM TO CALL A PLAY LIKE THAT. Just disgusting, and impossible to justify those sorts of choices. 

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The defense will never allow them to get into the top 10. They are the only reason the Bears are not picking 1 or 2 this season.

Yep.  The only offense worse than The Bears are The Jets.  Look where they'll be drafting and look where Chicago will be.  🤢

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Fields is clearly shaken.  Has throw two picks and the OSU coach staff has turned to the RB to carry the load.  

Yeah, he had a bad game. I was flipping to it when the FLA game went to commercial.

Trask started slow but played smart and didn't force it. Then he caught fire in the second half.

Here are some updates from the Gators-

Trask now owns SEC record of most TD passes through seven games at 30. The record is 29, set by UK's Tim Couch in 1997 and Trask today and matched by LSU's Joe Burrow last season. It is also career TD pass No. 56 for Trask. That ties him for seventh all-time in school history with another guy who had a pretty good story: Kerwin Bell (1984-87).

Guy has been balling, obviously you can't take stats and just assume they can correlate to pro production, but he is showing a lot as a passer.

Vanderbilt (0-7) kept Trask for extending his streak of  at least 4 TD throws in consecutive games to just three. He finished by completing 26 of 35 passes for 383 yards.

UF has scored 35-plus points in nine consecutive games, a school record. UF did it eight consecutive games in 2008 and 1996.

Mullin could have absolutely poured it on for the record but he has installed a team-first approach and used Gamble for a run early in the 2nd half when they had the personnel advantage and then again when they pulled him for Jones and let Jones throw it for a TD. Take the advantage (which usually is passing but Pitts is out still) and get the points whenever possible.

All things considered, that Seals kid looks like he is going to be a serious baller. He threw really well for a true freshman with a far less talented cast than the defense he was facing. Did it with a lot of pressure too. Its way too early, but he may be an early 1st rounder in the making.