So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

26 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Both are true. Wentz is not as good as advertised but this offense is very complex and challenging to run unless you have the ideal QB. 

Everyone's numbers in this system are mediocre save for Patrick Mahomes.

Alex Smith, Nick Foles, Mitchell Trubisky, Chase Daniel etc etc etc.

It has to give one legit pause for concern.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-order-cowboys-no-5-broncos-inch-closer-to-top-10

Updated draft order bears are 16th.  The Patriots at 14 really scare me.  I will feel better about getting an QB in round one if we can jump the Pats.  1,2,3 are all QB picks 

Edited by 41st ward Chicagoian

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Why everyone continues to maintain Nagy's "system" is exactly the same as Reid's mystifies me. 

Who's system do you think he runs if not Reid's? The guy has only ever played or coached under Reid since he's been in the NFL. 

If it's his own offense like you're suggesting then it just shows even more that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

7 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-order-cowboys-no-5-broncos-inch-closer-to-top-10

Updated draft order bears are 16th.  The Patriots at 14 really scare me.  I will feel better about getting an QB in round one if we can jump the Pats.  1,2,3 are all QB picks 

At this rate we will finish below the Pats..no need to worry.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

At this rate we will finish below the Pats..no need to worry.

The real concern is what it's going to cost to trade up, imo....

I expect 3 QBs in the top 5 right now.... and we pretty blatantly can't afford to give up any other picks this season, if we're also going to retool the OL so the poor kid can survive the season.

We can mortgage future picks if we have to, but we simply NEED 3 OL and a QB in this draft.

Edited by Epyon

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Kyle Trask and Arthur Smith seem like a connection.

The hard play action game and the downfield attack would seem to fit with his accuracy and poise.

Might want to sit Trask until the new OL gels though. Play action doesn't work if you can't run the ball. I'm not against it though. Let  him take the abuse until they get in sync, because I expect at least 2 new starters.

Another name to toss in is Shane Steichen. The Chargers offense has been top 10 in passing YPG and rushing YPG. Scoring is somewhere in the middle but with a rookie QB red zones will be difficult for them. I'm still a bigger fan of Brady and Leftwich but he has done a great job so far.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Who's system do you think he runs if not Reid's? The guy has only ever played or coached under Reid since he's been in the NFL. 

If it's his own offense like you're suggesting then it just shows even more that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Nagy's system has not been anything even close to Reid's like we were promised. I'm not only talking about the outcome of the certain plays (failed or not) or how Reid's offense has been much more successful. I'm talking in general about; his ego, lack of basic understanding, and fundamentals of football.

Reid taught Nagy how to run a offense, and he put him in a position that made him the hottest HC in the league at the time but Nagy has never tried to implement Reid's system from day one --which was supposed to be a selling point.  

But instead, it's been a total complete opposite. Which is why I've been so disappointed in him as a play-caller.  He's overthinking things and that's been a big problem.

Hell, if you didn't know any better and watched a Chiefs game and a Bears game you wouldn't even be able to tell there was any association between Nagy and Reid at all. That's how night and day it is. And yes, I recognize that there's a significant difference between talent, but that's not what this is based on because all of that is irrelevant in the larger scheme of things.

It's about how vastly different each coach is based on how they approach each game, how different their systems are, their close game play-style, and player preparation is.  

I'm talking about issues such as;

1) Poor decisions on whether or not to kick a FG. Here is a good example. (Note that I don't really subscribe to these methods like CPOE and etc but I would believe this just based on eye test.

Em9sYg2XEAIijsw?format=png&name=small

2) Not incorporating the offensive system that Reid runs and a system that we were all promise when he got here (RPO system). 

Not counting yesterdays game, Per PFR (although they're conservative), Nagy has run a low total of 84 RPO plays w/ QBs in the last 2 years. Note: what qualifies a a RPO is all subjective in the modern era.

3) Not putting players in better position to succeed. Why is Coward playing tackle when he can't even play G at high school level? Why is Nagy not taking advantage of a defenses weakness? I.e. The biggest weakest of the Packer defense last year was run defense and Nagy decided to pass-pass-pass. 

Reid has never been "pretty" and he's had his playoff flaws in the past but he's learned from them. These are things that Reid does well nowadays that Nagy does not.. 

I've said for the last 2 years that is seems like Nagy has been trying too hard to get out from underneath Reid's shadow by trying to create his own (brilliant) path and it has failed miserably. He's not taking what he learned in KC and this was a bad plan from the start for many reasons but I'll start with the one that disregards "common sense" logic the most. Foolishly trying to out-master the mentor even before understanding the basics by overthinking things. 

What I mean is, this was Nagy's first term away from the nest and instead of getting a feel for the players first and sticking with the basics, he seemingly overthought the entire process and made the offense over-complicated by believing that he was already above all of this when he clearly couldn't even adapt to the basics (see his PC interview last year in week (9? I think it was).

This is the same aspect that can be said in any part of life and not just football. It's simply common sense. If someone teaches you something that you're an amateur at and you go out on your own to put those teachings into practice, are you going to ignore everything that your mentor has taught you and change things up on your first try just for the sake of trying to be different!???  This is what Nagy has done as a play-caller.

Coaching takes time. Drawing up plays takes time. Taking advantage of certain defensive weaknesses takes time. Learning to adapt takes time. Learning to be able to get the most out of the players around you takes time. I'

• Like 1

How has Reid improved from earlier in his career? The reason we have Nagy is because Reid blew a huge lead to the Titans in the playoffs. The only reason he looks good now is because of great drafting and Mahomes. 

IMO the NFL is more like the NBA than people want to admit to. If you don't have a good/great QB it doesn't matter what else is going on in coaching.

• Like 1