2020 NBA Offseason Thread

11sanchez11

2 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

you are prob right. i just dont want the 76ers to cave in and move a 24 yr playmaker(hopefully he shots more this yr & becomes  superstar) for a 31 yr old who has a history of chocking in the playoffs. 

im not sure about the heat this yr how those young guys will do with the bull eyes on there back. Brooklyn all depends on KD coming back healthy. i don't trust them if they have to rely on Kyrie.  the bucks can even take a step back.

I mean, has Simmons ever shown the ability to shoot?  He's career 15% shooter from 10-16 feet, a 0% shooter from 16ft to the 3PT line, and 28% beyond the arc.  He takes roughly 6% of his shots from 10+ feet.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:10 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Hilarious. Can't really blame the stars around the league for trying. If he didn't sign next offseason would've been wild.

But, I'm pretty damn happy that ESPN doesn't get to hammer us over the head with Giannis free agency talk all year. It would've been insufferable.

It's a definite win for small market teams. Some guys are just loyal to their core like Dame. Maybe Giannis is another one. 

To a certain extent I can appreciate it, but if you are approaching your 30s and you've never really had a great chance to win a title like Dame, then it might be time to look for greener pastures. Kinda wish Dame would've left Portland, but hard to knock him for being loyal. Way different than guys like KD leaving after what Presti built around him in OKC and same with Harden in Houston now.

Bucks have done a better job team building, then the Blazers with Dame or Cavs with LeBron though.

Now, they have at the very least 5 more years of prime Giannis to get it done and I definitely think they should win at least once in that timespan, but if they can't, then Giannis should reconsider his options at that time, but that's so far away at this point its not worth discussing.

Dame is going to go down as one of, if not the greatest Blazer of all time, though. He is truly beloved here. I don’t think he would be getting that kind of love elsewhere. Sometimes it’s not about championships - it’s about leaving a legacy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Dame is going to go down as one of, if not the greatest Blazer of all time, though. He is truly beloved here. I don’t think he would be getting that kind of love elsewhere. Sometimes it’s not about championships - it’s about leaving a legacy.

Oh no doubt about that. I just selfishly want to see him win a title. It will annoy me endlessly if someone with the tenacity and competitiveness of Kobe won’t win a ring while Kyrie did. There’s still time. I just don’t know if it’ll happen. He’s one of my favorite non-Lakers. You’re right on leaving a legacy and if he wants to go out trying his hardest to bring that city a championship, then I can’t knock him for that at all.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, has Simmons ever shown the ability to shoot?  He's career 15% shooter from 10-16 feet, a 0% shooter from 16ft to the 3PT line, and 28% beyond the arc.  He takes roughly 6% of his shots from 10+ feet.

Yeah. The thing is his unwillingness to shoot. Brett Brown wanted him to take at least just 1 three a game last year and he shot a total of 7. He shot 11 as a rookie. It’s ridiculous he hasn’t even tried to extend his range. The results wouldn’t have been pretty at first, but you have to start somewhere and you can’t get better if you don’t shoot more. Nobody was expecting him to be knocking down a good percentage early in his career, but at least try a bit. Maybe he never would be a good shooter, but if he could’ve started as a rookie and incrementally got better as the years went and at least became average that would’ve been huge. You have to start wondering at this point if it will ever come.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

12 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah. The thing is his unwillingness to shoot. Brett Brown wanted him to take at least just 1 three a game last year and he shot a total of 7. He shot 11 as a rookie. It’s ridiculous he hasn’t even tried to extend his range. The results wouldn’t have been pretty at first, but you have to start somewhere and you can’t get better if you don’t shoot more. Nobody was expecting him to be knocking down a good percentage early in his career, but at least try a bit. Maybe he never would be a good shooter, but if he could’ve started as a rookie and incrementally got better as the years went and at least became average that would’ve been huge. You have to start wondering at this point if it will ever come.

It’s the strangest thing...These guys are absolutely terrified to even try in an actual game for several years.  What’s the worst that can happen? 

Respect to guys like Fultz, J Smoove, Giannis, and Drummond who have no shame and just air it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

It’s the strangest thing...These guys are absolutely terrified to even try in an actual game for several years.  What’s the worst that can happen? 

Respect to guys like Fultz, J Smoove, Giannis, and Drummond who have no shame and just air it out.

Yep even a guy like Rondo started in the teens and twenties in attempts his first couple years in the league, but kept increasing his attempts over the years and brought up his percentage and is around just average or a bit below it depending on the given year. That is what we should've hoped for Simmons, but yeah nothing is gonna happen if he doesn't try. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yep even a guy like Rondo started in the teens and twenties in attempts his first couple years in the league, but kept increasing his attempts over the years and brought up his percentage and is around just average or a bit below it depending on the given year. That is what we should've hoped for Simmons, but yeah nothing is gonna happen if he doesn't try. 

Simmons has been the same player since he was at LSU, he reminds me a lot of Wiggins, extremely talented but just doesn't have the drive to get better. 

Year 1: 16.4 ppg (58% FG), 7.8 rpg, 8.0 apg, 2.1 spg

Year 2: 16.9 ppg (56% FG), 8.8 rpg, 7.7 apg, 1.4 spg

Year 3: 15.8 ppg (54% FG), 8.1 rpg, 8.2 apg, 1.7 spg

To expect some major jump into superstar status or assume he'll become a decent shooter (2 3's made in like 240 career games) is just not realistic at all. Simmons to me is like if you put Rajon Rondo inside of LeBron James body. 

Edited by NYRaider

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Gobert gets a 5 year, $205 million extension from Utah.

I have conflicting thoughts. Utah can't just let All-NBA talent walk away because they aren't attracting that in free agency, but it's a lot more than I'd pay Gobert in a vacuum.

right. you have to do it as a small market. can't pick the stars you end up with. that's too much for Gobert, but you don't really have a choice. supermax ended up hurting some teams when it was supposed to help them keep their stars. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Gobert gets a 5 year, $205 million extension from Utah.

I have conflicting thoughts. Utah can't just let All-NBA talent walk away because they aren't attracting that in free agency, but it's a lot more than I'd pay Gobert in a vacuum.

As a Jazz fan I don't love it but now we have Mitchell/Gobert locked up for a while. We won't ever attract star talent so we have to keep guys around, excited to see how we look this season and we should be able to retool around them over the next few years.