The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Don’t mean any disrespect, but you guys had the worst RB/WR/TE unit in the league in my personal opinion. And I’d also say the OL took a step back. It wasn’t bad, but a pretty average unit. 

The OL was definitely a problem while Wynn was out last year.

I do think that so far Damiere Byrd has been an upgrade over Sanu and Dorsett, while Harry is definitely further along than he was last year. 

The one area where Cam's presence has helped a ton has been getting the RBs more room to operate. 

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Brees entered the season 6 TDs ahead of Brady for #1 overall. Brady is now only 3 TDs behind him.

If Brady was a New England system guy then someone forgot to tell him and his 11 TDs to 4 picks at age 43 on a 3-1 team averaging 29.3 points per game.

• This is with his WRs in a blender.

Brees was an 84.9 rated QB in 5 years as a Charger without a playoff win. If one of them has to be a 'system guy' I know who I am picking.

• Neither are, but Brady haters are complete morons.

The “Brady is a system QB” thing has always been a crap argument. First off his offense has changed in scheme year to year. The offense he had in 01 was not the same he had in 03-05, which was completely different from when they added Moss and Welker in 07, and totally different from the double TE set we had from 10-13, and what we’ve done from 14 on was a completely different concept. That’s before you even start to talk about how Bill is so game specific that he required Brady to play differently from week to week. The NE system is the complete opposite of a “we have our hand and we are just going to make you try beat it”. 

Nobody who actually watched him should have ever questioned that. 

• Like 2

Tom Brady in 2020 is on pace for:

4500 yards, 65% COMP, 45 TD's, 16 INT's, 7.3 YPA., and a 12-4 Record.

I don't think he's getting near those TD or INT numbers... but I do think his YPA is going to continue to climb.

My prediction on Brady in the Brady Stat Thread before the season started was:

4300 yards, 65% COMP, 32 TD's, 11 INT's, 7.7 YPA, and a 12-4 Record.

I honestly don't remember if my yardage prediction was 4300, 4400, or 4500. But same thing...

Another thing about the idiocy of the SYSTEM QBs argument:

Peyton Manning was a system QB. (duh, all teams run systems)

It was a simplified system that only worked well because he was able to be an very good offensive coordinator on the field.

When Painter, Orlovsky, and Collins were plugged into that system they went 2-14.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Another thing about the idiocy of the SYSTEM QBs argument:

Peyton Manning was a system QB. (duh, all teams run systems)

It was a simplified system that only worked well because he was able to be an very good offensive coordinator on the field.

When Painter, Orlovsky, and Collins were plugged into that system they went 2-14.

Well the thing about Peyton is it was his own system. I've always said that guy is basically like a walking fused QB/OC. He brought the same system to Denver as Denver was the only team that let him bring in his own offense.

Mannings arm wasn't the only thing that made him terrible in 2015 (although mostly was). He was actually running Kubiaks Offense in 2015, someone elses Offense for the first time in ages. And he was an absolutely terrible fit for that system.

But, don't wanna make this a Manning thread.

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

For a comparison in TB last year in the same offense and same weapons, Winston: 60% COMP, 33 TD's, 30 INT's, and 5100 yards.

Not sure what this means besides these three takeaways:

• No stats matter when they are paired up with 30 picks
  • That was a 12+ win talent team that Lick-a-Dubya personally drove into the ground.
  • Winston was the LVP of the league in 2019 even with 5100 yards and 33 TDs.

7 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Outside the Seattle game, the Pats passing attack has not been dynamic.  I like Cam, but Cam can make plays with his running ability when his receivers are not open.  He isn t throwing average WRs open.  I hope Cam can come back from Covid quickly, but I do wonder how long a 31 yr old Qb can last with his injury history with his running workload.  I expect the Pats to keep using him the same way because Cam has only completed over 65% of his passes once in his career.  

Kudos to the Pats knowing how to devise a game plan to maximize the strength of their Qbs.  If Cam comes back within 2 weeks and can go the rest of the way, I expect the Pats to be in the playoffs.

Historically, his WRs haven't even been average. Edelman is the best one he's had since Steve Smith. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Not sure what this means besides these three takeaways:

• No stats matter when they are paired up with 30 picks
  • That was a 12+ win talent team that Lick-a-Dubya personally drove into the ground.
  • Winston was the LVP of the league in 2019 even with 5100 yards and 33 TDs.

I'm propping up Brady with this comparison, not propping him down.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Starless said:

Historically, his WRs haven't even been average. Edelman is the best one he's had since Steve Smith. 

I m not going to dispute Cam has been limited by Carolina at WR.  Olsen was very good for him up until last season.  Ironically, I believe the MVP season, Steve Smith was gone.

Cam strength will never be pin point accuracy.  It s okay because he does other things well at the position to win.

• Like 1

Doesn’t look good for Thursday night but I really hope Evans doesn’t miss any time and we get to see a full season of Brady throwing to him. Brady will eventually trust him more and more especially on 1om1s and we’ll start to see more bombs ala 2007 with Moss. Not saying it will be as effective but it could be exciting as hell to watch.

Edited by RUGmen
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Well the thing about Peyton is it was his own system. I've always said that guy is basically like a walking fused QB/OC. He brought the same system to Denver as Denver was the only team that let him bring in his own offense.

Mannings arm wasn't the only thing that made him terrible in 2015 (although mostly was). He was actually running Kubiaks Offense in 2015, someone elses Offense for the first time in ages. And he was an absolutely terrible fit for that system.

But, don't wanna make this a Manning thread.

While this is true that it was “Peyton’s system” it is worth noting that Peyton rigidly stuck to that system. To the point where he struggled his first few weeks in Denver and basically demanded after 5 weeks they change it to his offense and let him run it. Then when Kubiak came in, even though Peyton was declining, he did change the system, and  it expedited Peyton’s struggles.

Brady has proven and validated he is the more adaptable QB and can handle more variety in both teammates, but also the scheming and even just different gameplay emphasis’ from week to week 

Edited by lancerman

46 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

Doesn’t look good for Thursday night but I really hope Evans doesn’t miss any time and we get to see a full season of Brady throwing to him. Brady will eventually trust him more and more especially on 1om1s and we’ll start to see more bombs ala 2007 with Moss. Not saying it will be as effective but it could be exciting as hell to watch.

both godwin and evans need rest vs chicago. sick of these guys missing games/playing injured already.