The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

17 minutes ago, Starless said:

Commenting from afar, it sure seems like the better Tom Brady got as a football player, the worse he became as a human being. 

Bias blinding you (no offense), was trending the other way in old age and his arrogance got less and less. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Bias blinding you (no offense), was trending the other way in old age and his arrogance got less and less. 

I mean, he did enlist the help of his good friend, the well-known self-help huckster to lecture his other friend, the abusive sex pest in order to provide his team with a fig leaf for signing the latter. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Starless said:

I mean, he did enlist the help of his good friend, the well-known self-help huckster to lecture his other friend, the abusive sex pest in order to provide his team with a fig leaf for signing the latter. 🤷‍♂️

Don’t agree with the move at all tbh.... and it definitely looks bad on him. But 2016 and onwards he was much more likable. 2001-2010 arrogance just steamed off of him and nobody outside Pat fans liked the dude. 

35 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Don’t agree with the move at all tbh.... and it definitely looks bad on him. But 2016 and onwards he was much more likable. 2001-2010 arrogance just steamed off of him and nobody outside Pat fans liked the dude. 

I dunno. I think 2007 was when he really became unlikable. Prior to that he was cocky, but in a way that all pro athletes are to some extent. Once he started dating Gisele, stuff he said about being "just one of the guys" started coming off as very disingenuous. And once he started palling around with that quack doctor and Tony Robbins, it became clear that he was more of a brand than a human being at that point - and not a particularly benevolent brand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Sure but is anyone expecting big things from Brown? 

I wouldn't expect anything less than an all-pro season from him once again even with a shortened season, didn't he miss like five games one season and still hit over 1,500 receiving yards? Dude is/was a monster.

3 hours ago, Starless said:

I dunno. I think 2007 was when he really became unlikable. Prior to that he was cocky, but in a way that all pro athletes are to some extent. Once he started dating Gisele, stuff he said about being "just one of the guys" started coming off as very disingenuous. And once he started palling around with that quack doctor and Tony Robbins, it became clear that he was more of a brand than a human being at that point - and not a particularly benevolent brand. 

I'm aware I'm blinkered, but I've always found TB to be pretty humble considering who and what he is. Everytime another player tried to troll him, he'd be class (for example Suggs said something about Brady is terrible when we bring the heat etc, Tom just replied 'Terrell is a great player, I really respect him' - can you imagine a Jalen Ramsey or an Antonio Brown being like that?) and when someone would compliment him, he'd bring them down a peg (for example a coach [forgot who] said he's the best player he's ever coached against, Tom just told the reporter 'ah he's just blowing smoke'). I know talk is easy, but I just feel like a cocky or arrogant player would react without class to these.

• Like 2

People hate because he's the greatest, has crushed their teams for twenty years and they are sick of his dominance. I find it weird personally, but it's pretty obvious.

I've always thought he was a pretty humble guy and the epitome of a team guy. Especially when compared to some QBs in this league.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Starless said:

That’s just bias tilting the story though, isn’t it it? The labels you’re attaching are either subjective or unproven.

One could just as easily sum it up as “he enlisted a friend and advisor, who he believes helped his career, to talk to a friend who is clearly unstable and in need of some help.”

Not saying which scenario is true, just pointing out that you can use biased language to make anything sound good or bad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You know I was kinda hoping the Bucs and Brady win the Bowl this year cause it’d be a good story, and the Raiders are 1 or 2 years away from being Super Bowl Contenders. 

However, now I hope they go 4-12. 

Antonio Clown is the worst human being in professional sports. 

QlGTdNZ.jpg

On 10/20/2020 at 2:46 PM, Starless said:

Yeah, no. I don't think that would go over all that well with 31 fanbases, given Brady's, um, controversial reputation. 

Don't think it's even that. It's just a stupid idea. Brady could be Fred Rogers, and it would still not go over well. Not in the NFL. 

Honoring a player that never played for your franchise, and maybe dunked on your franchise for years, is now entitled to a gesture of having their number retired? Just no. 

Just like Rice shouldn't have his number retired for every team. 

American football is the ultimate team game. You can't dominate by going out and hitting 4 home runs or scoring 50 points all on your own accord with zero help. Retiring numbers for player within a franchise, ok. Shouldn't go beyond that. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

12 hours ago, Drained said:

I wouldn't expect anything less than an all-pro season from him once again even with a shortened season, didn't he miss like five games one season and still hit over 1,500 receiving yards? Dude is/was a monster.

Haha no. Not even close. Only season where he didnt start atleast 5 games he had 780 yds. I'll be shocked if he has over 500 yds and 5 tds.

22 hours ago, Starless said:

Commenting from afar, it sure seems like the better Tom Brady got as a football player, the worse he became as a human being. 

I don't understand this, Starless. 

How can you be a football fan and worry about how pretty a personality your player has? 

I don't see any stat in the NFL for "Personality Style Points". 

• Like 1

How’s not wanting to pay Brady what he wants going Bill?? Brady just sliced and diced us and is having one of the best QB seasons in the league. While the Pats just suffered there worst home loss in the Bellichick Era. 

Edited by BayRaider